Windows 10: How I can you backup the entire c drive (windows 10) to an external drive?

Discus and support How I can you backup the entire c drive (windows 10) to an external drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How I can you backup the entire c drive (windows 10) to an external drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alicjakb, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Alicjakb Win User

How I can you backup the entire c drive (windows 10) to an external drive?

:)

Alicjakb, Oct 10, 2018

2. re Windows 10 c:\ drive backup to external drive question

Windows System Backups

There are a number of things that cause a computer to become unusable so it’s a very good idea to make full system backups. Some of the things that can cause this to happen are:

• Your hard drive can fail.
    • Your system becomes infected by a virus.
    • You accidently install a faulty program.
    • Your computer gets powered off without going through a normal shutdown.
    There are numerous others, but you get the idea.

Depending on how much of your C: drive is being used and what kind of device your C: drive resides on, the time this takes can vary greatly. To give you an idea, here are some actual timings:

• 50 GB SSD desktop to USB 3 hard drive took 8 minutes.
    • 88 GB laptop (5400 rpm) to USB 3 hard drive took 21 min., 11 seconds.
    • 205 GB desktop (7200 rpm) to USB 3 took 77 minutes.
    As you can see, there’s a wide degree of variation depending on what kind of C: drive you have and how many GB of data you’re backing up.

So what do you need to have for accomplishing this? First you need a good backup/restore program. There are many free ones, but the two recommended here are:

Both of the above are free for non-commercial use and can be easily downloaded and installed. They both can create a recovery CD or flash drive you can boot from to restore your C: drive in case your computer becomes inoperative. Both of these programs
    can be set up to do everything automatically at a time when you’re not using the computer.

The other thing you need is an external hard drive to put the backups on. You can buy 1 TB USB 3 external drives for around $50 to $60. These should be fine for most people. If you have more than 250 GB of used space on your C: drive, you should
    consider a larger capacity drive, but the great majority of people can get by with the 1 TB models.

Doing this can save you a lot of grief and expense when the inevitable problems occur.

Hula_Baloo, Oct 10, 2018
  3. JATownes Win User
    Hard Drive / External Drive + Backups Configuration?

Drive configuration is really a personal choice. I prefer RAID-0 for OS & Games, another drive for media, another drive for personal stuff (Docs, pr0n, etc.) and an external for backup.

IMO, Windows 7 has a great backup utility.

JATownes, Oct 10, 2018
  4. JATownes Win User

Hard Drive / External Drive + Backups Configuration?

I run 2 500GB drives in RAID-0. (Seagate 7200.12 drives)

This is very good advice. I have lost my array once. *Mad How I can you backup the entire c drive (windows 10) to an external drive? :mad: I backup weekly to an external, and also copy any important files (work data, game saves, pics, etc.) to my 500GB "personal" drive. So basically, I have an image of my Array saved to the external, and a copy of "My Documents" backed up to the internal 500GB.

Moral of the story: Definately backup often, whether running a RAID array or not. *Toast :toast:

JATownes, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

1. How I can you backup the entire c drive (windows 10) to an external drive? - Similar Threads - backup entire drive

2. Can you delete the mobilesync/backup files on C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you delete the mobilesync/backup files on C drive?: Hi,I'm trying to free up space in my C drive, and as per a few other recommendations from other threads I downloaded treeSize to see what was taking up the most space. I can see the files under apple/mobilesync/backup are taking up the most space - around 36GB. I went to...
  3. Can you delete the mobilesync/backup files on C drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you delete the mobilesync/backup files on C drive?: Hi,I'm trying to free up space in my C drive, and as per a few other recommendations from other threads I downloaded treeSize to see what was taking up the most space. I can see the files under apple/mobilesync/backup are taking up the most space - around 36GB. I went to...
  4. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  5. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  6. Backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup to external drive: In the Backup section of settings, I click "backup now" and it doesn't back up. I have requested daily backups but my last one was 1 month ago. I am attempting to back up to an external drive. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hi, recently I bought a new computer dell Inspiron small desktop, I also own a "Toshiba external hard drive USB 3.0 USB devise", which I used to backup my previous desktop computer for years where I saved valuable files and documents. Now when I tried to open this devise in...
  8. what is the benefit of backup c drive in window 10 in external hard drive. when can i use...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what is the benefit of backup c drive in window 10 in external hard drive. when can i use...: i am planing to back up c drive in window 10. 1903 in my external hard drive.what is the benefit of backup c drive in window 10 in external hard drive. when can i use this backup . how can i use it....
  9. Backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup to external drive: People say to backup more so using Win10. Read some say to use other than Windows backup. If using such as Macrium Reflect. Would I need to create an Image of the whole drive on my laptop with my files/photos and system etc. So in the event of a failure/corruption etc, it...
  10. Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you combine external drives into a MEGA external drive?: I have an external hard drive that I connect to my router and I back up important files to. But I'm reaching the external hard drive's limit. I was wondering if I could combine several external hard drives so they act like one huge mega hard drive. *Smile I was doing some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. back up entire c drive windows 10 to external drive

2. how to backup the whole c drive

3. how to ensure entire C Drive is backed up

4. whole c drive backup,
  5. can you download entire c drive on hard drive,
  6. how to backup drive c onto a drive,
  7. how to backup c drive to external drive,
  8. how backup whole drive,
  9. windows 10 backup whole drive,
  10. backup c drive to external drive windows 10,
  11. can you backup whole drive inwindows 10 backup ,