Windows 10: How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops

Discus and support How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just an idea for anyone wanting icons for the virtual desktop. You need a fixed number of virtual desktops for this to work. For example, I am using 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LT2000, Aug 25, 2015.

1. LT2000 Win User

How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops

Just an idea for anyone wanting icons for the virtual desktop. You need a fixed number of virtual desktops for this to work. For example, I am using 3 virtual desktops. If I wanted to use 4, I would have to recode it or just not used the icons.

- Get a free scripting program called AutoIT Home - AutoIt
    - Activate the quick launch toolbar Restore Quick Launch Bar in Windows 7 and Windows 10
    - Create a script for each of the virtual desktops and put them in the quick launch folder
    - Use AutoIT (or other) to determine the x,y positions for the Task View icon, the virutal desktop numbers, and quick view icons

I used this script code:
    -----
    MouseClick("left",415,1421,1,0) ; click the task view
    Sleep(200) ; let it wait a bit to make sure the next click activates
    MouseClick("left",1125,1350,1,0) ; click the intended virtual desktop
    MouseMove(1245,1418,1) ; put mouse back in position over icon in quick launch

:)

LT2000, Aug 25, 2015

2. How to stop virtual desktops from being created when dragging an icon to the edge of the screen,

I use a program by StarDock called ObjectDesktop. I have a taskbar on the left side of my screen which automatically hides and to open it i have to hold the cursor on the edge of the screen. The problem with this being, I have the recyle bin on this taskbar,
    so when I try to delete something when i try to drag it to the hidden taskbar, instead a new virtual desktop is created. It's no major problem, if there is no way around it I can just put the recycle bin back on the desktop. I, however, do not use the virtual
    desktops and was wondering if there was a way to disable this feature. I have not been able to find one yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MichaelMollen, Aug 25, 2015
  3. How to stop virtual desktops from being created when dragging an icon to the edge of the screen,

Sorry for the late reply - there were problems with the site the other day.

I just realized I made a mistake in my original question. It is not in regards to ObjectDesktop but ObjectDock, sorry for the mix up. I made a recording of the problem I am having to help illustrate.

Video Link
    As you can see in the video, the dock on the left of the screen is triggered when my mouse hovers over the edge of the screen. This is not a problem, except for when I drag a file to the recycling bin on the dock. As a temporary fix I left the
    recycle bin on the desktop, I was just wondering if there was a way to turn off the Virtual Desktops or stop them from being triggered when a file is dragged to the edge of the screen.

Thanks for your response and again, sorry about the mix up.

MichaelMollen, Aug 25, 2015
  4. LT2000 Win User

This is what it looks like in the end. I put them in the middle of the screen. I could probably give them more meaningful icons, but good enough for now.

How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops [​IMG]

LT2000, Aug 25, 2015
  5. LT2000 Win User
    Another option is to use desktop to the LEFT or RIGHT of the existing desktop. This is done with keyboard shortcut WIN+CNTRL+ARROW or with the following code:

Send("^#{LEFT}")

LT2000, Aug 25, 2015
  6. LT2000 Win User
    Actually, this works much better to get to a given desktop.

Just use the left or right keyboard commands to get to either the first or last desktop (maybe 3/4 consecutive changes). Then use the appropriate amount to get to the desired number. For example, if I want to go to desktop 2, then:

Send("^#{LEFT}")
    Send("^#{LEFT}")
    Send("^#{LEFT}")
    Send("^#{LEFT}")
    Send("^#{RIGHT}")

Can then create shortcuts and assign custom icons to the shortcuts. It looks like a native Windows feature. The only downside is there is some blinking when using the direct access. No issues when going left/right 1 desktop at a time though.

LT2000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops - Similar Threads - Created Icons Virtual

2. How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?: When I was on Windows 7, I had created icons for my desktop and one for My Documents which I placed in the taskbar. They stayed there when it upgraded to WIN10. I now have a new system and NEED them back. I can't find the website as there are so many hits now with the search...
  3. Icons on virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons on virtual desktops: I want to use the virtual desktop feature on windows 10 but i want different icons visible when switching between the 2 desktops. As it is now when i open a new desktop all the icons just move over. submitted by /u/idkifthisisgonnawork [link] [comments]...
  4. How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?: To create a new virtual desktop, press Win+Ctrl+d. Got that. But how do I create a new virtual desktop that has only 1 or two icons from the original in Win 10 v1903 (the last successful update was Feb 13)? Thanks. 151507
  5. How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?: To create a new virtual desktop, press Win+Ctrl+d. Got that. But how do I create a new virtual desktop that has only 1 or two icons from the original in Win 10 v1903 (the last successful update was Feb 13)? Thanks. 151507
  6. How to create Virtual Registry

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to create Virtual Registry: How can I create and manage a virtual registry? How to use it so that only selected programs use a virtual registry? How can I close access to it? I read docs.microsoft, but there is not all the information that interests me. Appreciate your help. 122151
  7. Can't create a virtual desktop

Can't create a virtual desktop: When I first got my new Surface Pro 6, I was able to create virtual desktops, but now they're gone and I can't find any way to create them again. When I click on the Task View key, all I see is the time line, without the "Create Virtual Desktop" link. Pressing Window + Ctrl +...
  8. Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?

Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?: O.k.....Since switching to the Edge browser, I find that I cannot ''drag and drop'' anything from the favourites bar to the desktop, to create quick link icons.....at the moment I keep going back to Chrome, which allows you to do this....there must be a way surely, in Edge to...
  9. how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    how to create a desktop icon for file explorer: I just moved from W7 to W10 and haven't been able to figure out how to create a desktop app icon for file explorer. I can do it for apps that I've loaded, but can't figure it out for special Windows programs. Yes, I have it in my task bar and can clearly see it in the...
  10. How can I create a custom desktop icon?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I create a custom desktop icon?: Hi, I would like to create a shortcut icon on my Windows 10 desktop to execute the following command: c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -safe-mode I seem to recall that this was easy in earlier versions of Windows. (As were many other...