Windows 10: How I dissabled Windows Update

Discus and support How I dissabled Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First and for most a word of caution: Do not and I repeat do not delete files unless you understand their functionality and purpose and how it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ASUSTUV4x, Jan 2, 2019.

1. ASUSTUV4x Win User

How I dissabled Windows Update

First and for most a word of caution:

Do not and I repeat do not delete files unless you understand their functionality and purpose and how it effects your system.

With that said , Here is how I disabled windows update and upgrade permanently.

I understand this is controversial, but I did this and saved myself the hassles of the last update that caused havoc on systems.

Step one:

You Will need a Program called take ownership.

you can find that via google or perhaps if you a software hoarder like me, search you hard drives.

Step 2, I went Nuclear with take ownership, and I took ownership of everything.

I would use caution using the Nuclear Option. but as of now,

I am still not getting updates

Step 3 after the process was completed, I searched to the notorious windows medic file .

Once the search was completed I started to pick apart what I could , and managed to shred that piece software to the point of failing to execute by deleting of it as much as I could.

2 days later, it was not even showing up in my services listing.. I think it self destructed?

during the few days time I kept getting an error report of "unknown error unable to run"

Then it vanished .

I did all this while disconnected from the network.

I disabled windows update .

I waited 4 months before posting this.

Microsoft will probably find a work around this and put a patch in the PC to prevent this from occurring.

The Photo I am posing is proof positive that what ever I did succeed. How I dissabled Windows Update a6959296-0e10-4c24-b539-039da7b0c7cb?upload=true.png

And I think you may need to be running

Windows Pro for everything to work, then again, you may not.

It beats down loading software and creating clutter.

Perform task at own risk.

I also did the other usual things to kill windows update like disabling through .msc services and

through regedit.

Lets say, I wanted it dead.

:)

ASUSTUV4x, Jan 2, 2019
  2. Tudor132 Win User

Dissable in app purchase function

Yes, i want to disable the option of making in-app purchases.

I have already done the steps from the "I am not here" post and i dissabled that "Stream line my purchase experience" thing.

Tudor132, Jan 2, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How I dissabled Windows Update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 2, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

1. How I dissabled Windows Update - Similar Threads - dissabled Update

2. Microsoft store is dissabled but i want to change the account i use for minecraft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store is dissabled but i want to change the account i use for minecraft: Microsoft store is dissabled but i want to change the account i use for minecraft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-is-dissabled-but-i-want-to-change/0b9b8151-6c3a-4938-86e3-a92fbd8bfaff
  3. Microsoft store is dissabled but i want to change the account i use for minecraft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store is dissabled but i want to change the account i use for minecraft: Microsoft store is dissabled but i want to change the account i use for minecraft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-is-dissabled-but-i-want-to-change/0b9b8151-6c3a-4938-86e3-a92fbd8bfaff
  4. is there a way to limit or dissable standby memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there a way to limit or dissable standby memory: standby memory has been an issue for a long time, as far as I can tell Microsoft is just using it to cover up memory leaks.is there any way to clear it without rebooting? or at least limit it so it'll only take up at most half my free memory?...
  5. is there a way to limit or dissable standby memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    is there a way to limit or dissable standby memory: standby memory has been an issue for a long time, as far as I can tell Microsoft is just using it to cover up memory leaks.is there any way to clear it without rebooting? or at least limit it so it'll only take up at most half my free memory?...
  6. dissabling updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dissabling updates: I don't want MS **** automatic updates. It hangs up my PC and cancels out my work and/or games. This has to stop. I have done the pause thing in settings and tried to get to group edit to no avail. I want the updates if and wen I want them not when some **** iidiot at MS...
  7. dissabling updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dissabling updates: I don't want MS **** automatic updates. It hangs up my PC and cancels out my work and/or games. This has to stop. I have done the pause thing in settings and tried to get to group edit to no avail. I want the updates if and wen I want them not when some **** iidiot at MS...
  8. dissabling updates

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Windows Update option is dissable ,without any reason

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update option is dissable ,without any reason: Happy new year guys!!!I Have a big problem and I hope for your help and solution-I use windows home 1809.modificarea it ntlite,no, to my surprise, the updates stopped and the disable status.Have to go into services and manually enable it in status automatically.I couldn't...
  10. Windows Update option is dissable ,without any reason

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update option is dissable ,without any reason: Happy new year guys!!!I Have a big problem and I hope for your help and solution-I use windows home 1809.modificarea it ntlite,no, to my surprise, the updates stopped and the disable status.Have to go into services and manually enable it in status automatically.I couldn't...