Windows 10: How I prevent AutoRun.exe being run when plugging in a USB dongle with with Virtual CD-ROM?

Discus and support How I prevent AutoRun.exe being run when plugging in a USB dongle with with Virtual CD-ROM? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have already tried various things disable it, namely via the Registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies, setting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by user984378, Jul 7, 2019.

1. How I prevent AutoRun.exe being run when plugging in a USB dongle with with Virtual CD-ROM?

I have already tried various things disable it, namely via the Registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies, setting NoDriveTypeAutorun to FF of type 32-bit DWORD) and via the Local Group Policy Editor (Computer > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > AutoPlay Policies and then setting Turn off AutoPlay to enabled). I also disabled AutoPlay in the Settings, but none of this has an effect.

The USB dongle in question is a E3372h modem. In previous firmware versions it was possible to disable the CD mode, but not in the latest one, so I need to find a way of disabling it in Windows.

:)

user984378, Jul 7, 2019

2. CD-ROM not reading any disks

We appreciate the information that you've provided. Our next step is to consider the following methods below:

• Manually update your DVD/CD-ROM driver. There are cases wherein automatic update doesn't install the compatible driver to your device. To do this, check your device support site and ensure that you've downloaded and installed the appropriate
      driver for your device.
    • Run the hardware troubleshooter to scan and automatically fix any errors preventing your
      DVD/CD-ROM to work properly. Here are the steps on how to run the troubleshooter:
      • Type Troubleshoot in the search box and press Enter.
      • Select Hardware and Devices.
      • Click Run the troubleshooter.
      • Allow the scan to complete, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the fix.
    • Try another CD/DVD for further isolation. If your device was able recognize other
      CD/DVD then the issue is not hardware related.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Jul 7, 2019
  3. cannot play auto-run CD-Rom consists of flash (flash player 9 )in Windows 10

Hi,

In order to autorun a program from a USB or CD, it must contain the autorun script file (autorun.inf). Let's try creating an autorun script file using a notepad and save it on the CD. Follow the steps below:

• Open Notepad.
    • Type the following commands below:
      • [autorun]

;Open=YOURAPP.exe

ShellExecute=YOURAPP.exe

UseAutoPlay=1
    • Save the file to your CD with the file name autorun.inf, then select
      All Files (*.*) in the save as type field.

Note: Replace YOURAPP text with the file name of the application you're trying to start.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Jul 7, 2019
  4. How I prevent AutoRun.exe being run when plugging in a USB dongle with with Virtual CD-ROM?

Windows 10 Autorun?

Hello,

As you are asking whether the security of disabling Autorun/Autoplay option from system settings is the same as disabling from the registry and will take affect in the same way. There is no need to worry about virus threats which usually attack from autorun/autoplay.
    If you want to disable autorun/autoplay from registry, follow the steps provided below:

• Type regedit in the search box and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • In the right pane of the window create a new DWORD value "NoDriveTypeAutorun".
    • Set the value based on the following requirements:
      • FF – To disable AutoRun on all drives
      • 20 – To disable AutoRun on CD-ROM drives
      • 4 – To disable AutoRun on removable drives
      • 8 – To disable AutoRun on fixed drives
      • 10 – To disable AutoRun on network drives
      • 40 – To disable AutoRun on RAM disks
      • 1 – To disable AutoRun on unknown drives
    • If you want to disable AutoRun on a certain combination of drives, you’ll have to combine their values. For example, if you want to disable AutoRun on CD-ROM and removable drives, set the value of DWORD to 28.
    • If you want to return AutoRun functionality, just delete the NoDriveTypeAutorun DWORD value.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

How I prevent AutoRun.exe being run when plugging in a USB dongle with with Virtual CD-ROM?

1. How I prevent AutoRun.exe being run when plugging in a USB dongle with with Virtual CD-ROM? - Similar Threads - prevent AutoRun exe

2. cd rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cd rom: I have tried every suggestion on how to get windows 10 to recognize my cd drive,but nothing works. Is there any way to have microsoft correct this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/24c94139-11c5-4287-baff-1155b368f717
  3. Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In: Is there any way to auto-execute an exe program without using any 3rd party software?I want to execute a Software when a USB device is plugged in.As soon as I plugin the USB the exe should execute and will show a Welcome Screen GUI.The application is developed in .NET Core...
  4. CD ROM Drive not being reinstalled.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CD ROM Drive not being reinstalled.: Hello. I need some help, but I'm not sure if I should ask for it here. Anyway, my CD ROM drive wasn't reading my disc, so I looked up how to fix it. Apparently, a common solution was to uninstall my driver via the device manager. It said that after I restarted my computer, it...
  5. CD Rom

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD Rom: I cannot open any of my word documents since I purchase a new office 365 can you help please. The message is saying there might be something wrong with my CD Rom drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/d4ad6025-8f38-4e94-9fb8-8e23ccacea88
  6. How to create an Autorun file for your USB/DVD/CD

in Windows 10 News
    How to create an Autorun file for your USB/DVD/CD: [ATTACH]If you have created a program and want to let it autorun when someone […] This article How to create an Autorun file for your USB/DVD/CD first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How do I run my CD/ROM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I run my CD/ROM: How do I run my CD/Rom https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-run-my-cdrom/cfa21661-d7a7-4dd3-819e-5d789fc8d8a4
  8. How do I run an XP CD Rom on WIndows 10?

How do I run an XP CD Rom on WIndows 10?: I have some very old eductional CD ROMS that I want to play on my Windows 10 PC. Nothing happens when I try the .exe file. I tried running in compatibility mode, but again nothing happened. The CD ros says it is compatiable with WIndows 95/98/ME/2000/XP Any help...
  9. CD Rom

CD Rom: The D drive (CD Rom) appears in the explorer but I can't have it display the info on the disc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/4810c955-de87-4f6c-8106-7ede083218d8
  10. Wrong icon when I insert a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

Wrong icon when I insert a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM: Help me out here, each time I insert a DVD into my DVD player I get the wrong icon (yes, earlier today I installed Mafia III and it stayed that way. It's not supposed to...) How can I get my old icon back? As you can see, it doesn't match. Each game disc gives me the...