Windows 10: How I resolved Fast Startup problems.

Discus and support How I resolved Fast Startup problems. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; No matter what I read or tried my Windows 10 Laptop would not do a hybrid shutdown. I turned on and off both Hibernation and Fast Startup with no luck.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cnaray, Sep 13, 2015.

1. cnaray Win User

How I resolved Fast Startup problems.

No matter what I read or tried my Windows 10 Laptop would not do a hybrid shutdown. I turned on and off both Hibernation and Fast Startup with no luck. The command in the CMD with Admin rights was Powercfg -h off or on and I went to the registry and GPEDIT and still no luck. I know it was working when I had Windows 8.1, now nothing was working, nothing. OK let jump ahead and now it works great... Here's how I did it. There is no reason or rime to my method but there is an order.

I turned off hibernation first, which we all know turns off "Fast Startup". I ran my PC for 24-48 hours with out it. Doing mail and internet and other things. Next I did a Optimization of all my drives including my SSD Windows drive and my other internal and external drives. I actually did it twice, once after turning off Hibernation and then again at the end prior to turning it back on. After the 48 hours, I started up my PC and logged into windows and went to my registry and turned on Hibernation (see photo). During this time period I would often shut down and restart my PC normally, like shutting it down at night and starting it in the morning. Normal stuff.

How I resolved Fast Startup problems. [​IMG]

In the registry I put a 1 in where there was a 0 for the data as highlighted in the photo above. Next I Restarted the computer and at the login I hit the Shutdown button in the lower right hand corner. I knew then it was working as the screen went blank after a few seconds and the computer stayed on like it does when you use hibernate. Its work since then.

Let me know if this works for you?

:)

cnaray, Sep 13, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 13, 2015
  4. cnaray Win User

To clarify...
    1. Turn off Hibernation via Powercfg -h off. Make sure that Fast Startup was enabled prior.
    2. Run Optimization for ALL drives.
    3. Use the PC normally for 24 to 48 hours with the hibernation off.
    4. The next morning after the day or two, turn on the PC.
    5. Log on and go to the registry and turn on Hibernation from there. See Photo
    6. Do a restart and when the logon screen shows up, don't logon.
    7. Do a shutdown in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
    It should start working...??? It did for me.

PS: if you turned of Hibernation properly in step 1, you will not have it as an option in the shutdown menu.

cnaray, Sep 13, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
  6. cnaray Win User
    I went to this page and it had a lot of valuable info when I was looking to solve my problem. BUT noting worked until I did it a certain way. I needed to write some info on the SSD where the Hiberfil.sys was, so it would not be placed back where it was when I turned it back on. So turning off and on Hibernation did not work for me. I don't know why the way I did it worked, but it did. I did use your link as a valuable reference, and the info from there should of worked on my PC and I tried it all. Thank you. The info from TenForums is extremely valuable, and that's why I decided to post my findings here.

cnaray, Sep 13, 2015
  7. funman2 Win User
    Hi,
    Amazing! I have the a similar problem on a Samsung ssd 840 evo, every time I set fast startup active, it shows not active after reboot or shutdown, also the registry value hyberbootenable is set 0 again,

Today I solved the Issue, Acronis True Image seem to have run a script on startup, that prevented fast startup, since I was restoring a system backup before. Removes Acronis and reinstalled it, now fast startup works again permanently.

How did you overwrite the hyberfil.sys on your ssd?

Regards Alex

funman2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How I resolved Fast Startup problems. - Similar Threads - resolved Fast Startup

2. How to resolve the problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to resolve the problem?: Hello, I've recently purchased my laptop.. and i did disk partitioning.. I'm new user so i made some mistake while partitioning .. but after that i keep getting pop up message of bad imageC:\Users\prana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive 24.020.0128.0003 \adal.dll is either not...
  3. Fast Startup Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Problem: Why?? [ATTACH] Pls Help Me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-problem/83b79418-91e7-45d9-b01a-6477e9e54bd3
  4. Fast Startup

Fast Startup: Why is my option to "Turn on fast startup" greyed out? [ATTACH] Pls Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup/4c05238b-43c2-4cc7-abff-f89aaf2795cd
  5. Problems with fast startup.

Problems with fast startup.: So, i have set the fast startup to ON. It works, but sometimes it just automaticallyturns off by itself. I don't do anything. When i turn it back on, it works fine. But after a while, it turns off again....
  6. Fast Startup

Fast Startup: Okay so I figured out what's causing my computer to not fully shut down, and I'm cool with the whole fast startup feature but my problem with it is that I cant turn my computer back on when its in that mode, like I would have to hold the power button for it to fully shut...
  7. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: Hi, does anyone know how to enable fast startup without enabling hibernation windows 10? Thank you 18351
  8. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: I tend to leave windows 10 mostly at default settings. So I keep fast start up enabled on my desktop. I do have an SSD but it is convenient and shaves a few seconds of reboot i guess. However I want to know whether it relies on a power source? What I mean by this is, is my pc...
  9. Fast startup causes shutdown problem

Fast startup causes shutdown problem: Turning off Fast startup under Choose what pushing power button solves a shudown problem. Besides cache, what is Windows anniversary sending to the disk before it actually SHUTSDOWN? 64976
  10. No fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    No fast startup: Hi i have looked in power settings and all i have is sleep and lock no fast startup box to tick i have looked in hiberboot enabled and it is set on (1) i do have 14393-222 build and i do not have any other problems with windows 10 just slow start up. Hp workstation 2tb hard...