Windows 10: How is it possible that Windows 10 will not search the contents of PDF files?

Discus and support How is it possible that Windows 10 will not search the contents of PDF files? in Cortana to solve the problem; Hey Microsoft, there is a file format called PDF. You may have heard of it. They say it may actually catch on. Why does a File Explorer search not... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by StuckInSeattleWith, Aug 13, 2019.

1. How is it possible that Windows 10 will not search the contents of PDF files?

Hey Microsoft, there is a file format called PDF. You may have heard of it. They say it may actually catch on. Why does a File Explorer search not search the contents of those files by default? No, really, I can handle it.

I use Foxit PDF, and it has an iFilter. It was all working smoothly, and then it stopped. Their tech support was worthless. So I installed the Adobe 64 bit iFilter, and guess what? Still no content search. I thought that maybe it was a security issue, so I took ownership of the folder, gave myself full access and verified it with audit and effective access. Still no content search. I turned off antivirus (yours). Still no content search.

What possible excuse exists for you not to make PDF content search part of Windows? Is it beyond your abilities?

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot search the contents of PDF files with either the Foxit or Adobe iFilter, search contents selected in search options, and after rebuilding the index many times? For that matter, why is my computer making so much of itself off limits to me these days. You probably will say that you are protecting me,. but what I need is protection from you.

Help.

:)

StuckInSeattleWith, Aug 13, 2019

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Aug 13, 2019
  3. Searching in PDF?

Hey guys, I need to look up a large list of data from a PDF file, basically just to check if each entry of the list is in the pdf. Is there some way to do this without having to check one by one?

ebolamonkey3, Aug 13, 2019
  4. sam9 Win User

How is it possible that Windows 10 will not search the contents of PDF files?

windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more

Windows search is not able to search the content of pdf files when searching more than 4 digit number. I have pdf files in a folder when I try to search a content eg 7349, it shows the files which are having this number but if I increase the digits to one more e.g 73495, the result is blank. I have already indexed these files. There is no problem if text files are searched. Please advise.

I am not searching in open files. I am searching the folder of pdf files.

Add_ It is a domain pc. Is it possible that it could be some policy.

Thema:

How is it possible that Windows 10 will not search the contents of PDF files?

1. How is it possible that Windows 10 will not search the contents of PDF files? - Similar Threads - possible search contents

2. windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content: Computer is a few weeks old, recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. The file explorer search was working properly with Windows 10, and initially with Windows 11.I have another computer with Windows 11 initially installed that does not have this problem.I have deleted and...
  3. windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content: Computer is a few weeks old, recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. The file explorer search was working properly with Windows 10, and initially with Windows 11.I have another computer with Windows 11 initially installed that does not have this problem.I have deleted and...
  4. Windows Search and file content

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and file content: I have been using Windows since Windows 95, and never found the Windows Search useful. On Linux, you can just run a "grep" command and find files with the content you search for, but the Windows Search GUI almost never finds even key-names in JSON files. Why can it just...
  5. Windows Search and file content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search and file content: I have been using Windows since Windows 95, and never found the Windows Search useful. On Linux, you can just run a "grep" command and find files with the content you search for, but the Windows Search GUI almost never finds even key-names in JSON files. Why can it just...
  6. Windows Search and file content

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Search only searching contents in PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search only searching contents in PDF files: Hello, lately when I use File Explorer to search the contents of my Word documents, the search is not yielding any results apart from PDF files. I have tried every fix and update I have seen in the community and it has not fixed the problem. I'm running Windows 10 and this...
  8. Search file contents in Windows 10

in Cortana
    Search file contents in Windows 10: Is there a way to search the contents of files in Windows 10 rather than just the file titles? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-file-contents-in-windows-10/d1fb6879-1533-43d9-9d4b-79cea1afe4ac
  9. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  10. windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more

in Windows 10 Support
    windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more: Windows search is not able to search the content of pdf files when searching more than 4 digit number. I have pdf files in a folder when I try to search a content eg 7349, it shows the files which are having this number but if I increase the digits to one more e.g 73495, the...