Windows 10: How is Macrium restore used on pc with an SSD for OS and hdd for data

Discus and support How is Macrium restore used on pc with an SSD for OS and hdd for data in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a laptop that has an SSD for its OS and program file and a second hdd for data I have made a cloned backup image of my laptop If one of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Mar 7, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

How is Macrium restore used on pc with an SSD for OS and hdd for data

I have a laptop that has an SSD for its OS and program file and a second hdd for data
    I have made a cloned backup image of my laptop

If one of my laptops drives should happen to fail how would I restore the drive that failed using the cloned image?

:)

provlima, Mar 7, 2018

2. Moving Windows 10 to an SSD

Yes, moving to SSD would be a good idea as SSD is pretty fast as compared to HDD.

What I would do is Buy a 128 GB SSD that contains your OS and put your other data on the 2 TB drive.

You can use disk cloner like Macrium that would copy down the entire OS:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backu...

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Windows Boot Sector corrupted

Does your HDD installation still work? If so then this would be the correct procedure to follow:

• Use Macrium Reflect (or a similar tool) to create an image of your installation.
    • Disconnect the HDD, connect the SSD.
    • Boot the machine with the Macrium Reflect bootable rescue flash disk.
    • Restore the image to the SSD.
    In general: When restoring images you must make sure at the first reboot to connect the new disk only. If both disks are connected then you risk ruining both installations.

Frederik Long, Mar 7, 2018
  4. Word Man Win User

By physically removing the failed disk and replacing it with the cloned disk. If all you actually have is a disk image, that won't work.

Word Man, Mar 7, 2018
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I'm confused, how does a person have one clone of two separate drives on one external device? Or, do I misunderstand?

RolandJS, Mar 7, 2018
  6. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your response...could you please clarify it. Lets say the SSD fails or the separate data drive fails. Would you remove both drives and just replace the one cloned target hdd in their place???

provlima, Mar 7, 2018
  7. provlima Win User
    Roland I'm confused too!
    When I make the macrium clone backup I assume its copying the SSD drive with the OS on it AND the second 'data ' hard disk drive.
    Is that not a correct assumption??

provlima, Mar 7, 2018
  8. RolandJS Win User

Provlima, I think I understand, maybe! You did one of the following:
    -- you made a full image of each physical hard-drive onto one external hard-drive; or
    -- you made a clone of your SSD on one external hard-drive and a clone of your data HDD onto another external hard-drive
    Which one of the above did you do?

RolandJS, Mar 7, 2018
  9. RolandJS Win User
    To directly answer your question:
    If the OS SSD "goes bad" -- you need only to restore that OS SSD
    If the data HDD "goes bad" -- you need only to restore that data HDD

RolandJS, Mar 7, 2018
  10. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your quick response
    I cloned the OS which was on the SSD and the data hdd on the external backup drive.

Is this the same as the term "full image" you used?

Should I have also cloned the 450mb "recovery" partition too?

provlima, Mar 7, 2018
  11. Word Man Win User
    You really need to get straight the difference between "cloning" and "imaging". This has been explained to you in several different ways in your several different recent threads. Here's a link to a good place to read about the differences: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...ng+and+cloning

Word Man, Mar 7, 2018
  12. RolandJS Win User
    "...I cloned the OS which was on the SSD and the data hdd on the external backup drive.
    Is this the same as the term "full image" you used?"
    Ok, I'm assuming translation is mixing cloning with imaging.
    You made full images of both your SSD and your HDD onto a single external HD.
    So, if the OS SSD goes bad, you restore the OS image,
    if the Data HDD goes bad, you restore the data image.

RolandJS, Mar 9, 2018
  13. provlima Win User

Thanks for your message
    and for all your help
    Jim

provlima, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How is Macrium restore used on pc with an SSD for OS and hdd for data - Similar Threads - Macrium restore used

2. how to transfer os from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to transfer os from hdd to ssd?: i installed a ssd on my dell OptiPlex 3020 now i need to figure out how to transfer the data from the old disk to the ssd? i connected them through the external drive i put the other drive in but no luck that way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please share?...
  3. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  4. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  5. Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD: I'm needed of your help, I recently got an SSD to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga 300 with Windows 10 Home Single Lamguage, I cleaned and format the SSD and used Macrium to clone, but it showed me a window saying that I couldn't acces that folder, I changed the security and the...
  6. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive: I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it. I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need? I.e. get Windows...
  7. How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???: I am currently running the newest version of windows 10 and I have an SSD for my OS only and a HDD as storage. And every time I install a program it defaults to install on the SSD. I have changed the storage settings in windows so that apps and so on go will to the HDD but...
  8. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD: Got a SSD and I only want to move the operating system to the SSD. So, question one is 1. How do I move only the OS to the SSD? I haven't done anything like this for a L O O O N G time. In fact, not since DOS. Back then there was a problem with what I'm trying to do...
  9. Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect: I am getting ready to add an M.2 275GB SSD to my Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM which came with a 1TB 5400 HDD and Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have browsed forums and watched several tutorials on YouTube. Here is my question before I start. One video showed moving the OS...
  10. Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????: I want to do a clone backup of my laptop that has an SSD for the OS and program files and an HDD for the data files I am unsure of how to do a clone backup involving the two drive configuration As seen in the capture below do I clone the two drives separately to their...