Windows 10: How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

Discus and support How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MrCaptain_Sandwich, Feb 8, 2020.

1. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat.

Is there anything I have to do to transfer the license to the buyer or does it not matter or even work like that? I assume that it's just tied to the machine itself, but I don't want to run into issues if that's not the case.

Also, the OS was originally bought as Windows 7 home OEM and then had the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when it was released. Not sure if that matters or not.

submitted by /u/MrCaptain_Sandwich
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MrCaptain_Sandwich, Feb 8, 2020
  2. Rataan Win User

Selling PC with Windows license

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to sell a PC to my brother and I want the Windows license to go with it. I have all the parts for a replacement PC that I will build in a few days and for that I will buy a new Windows license. I guess the
    questions I have are:

1. How do I transfer a Windows license to another person, or is that possible with current licensing rules? The hardware that the license runs on would be the same, just a different person. I don't know if he has a Microsoft account, but we can set one up
      if necessary. This license was originally bought as Windows 7 and then converted to a Windows 10 license. I don't remember if it was an OEM or retail copy or if that is important.
    2. Since I'm building another PC which will need a Windows license, would it just be easier to transfer the license I currently own to the new PC and buy a new license for my brother? In that case, the license would stay with the same person (me) and the same
      Microsoft account, but will run on all new hardware.

Rataan, Feb 8, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Feb 8, 2020
  4. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

Sell a Laptop with Windows 10 License.

Hey ,

I'd like to sell my laptop , including the Windows 10 license on It. Do you have any suggestions how to do it?

StoyanSpasov, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

1. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC? - Similar Threads - license affected sell

2. How to sell PC with Windows without license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to sell PC with Windows without license?: Hello,Recently, I've bought a new PC. I installed a legitimate copy of Windows 10 Home 64b I already had. This same Windows version I have installed on my old PC.I'd like to sell my old PC. I've formatted, deleted, shredded all my personal data. I also installed Windows 10...
  3. How to sell PC with Windows without license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to sell PC with Windows without license?: Hello,Recently, I've bought a new PC. I installed a legitimate copy of Windows 10 Home 64b I already had. This same Windows version I have installed on my old PC.I'd like to sell my old PC. I've formatted, deleted, shredded all my personal data. I also installed Windows 10...
  4. How to sell PC with Windows without license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?

Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?: I have a custom built PC that originally had windows 8 on, I upgraded to windows 10 when it launched, I now want to sell my PC but am unsure if the windows 10 key is linked to me or the hardware? If i format the drive and reinstall windows 10 and just create a local account...
  6. Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC)

Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC): Hello everybody, I’d like to ask about deactivation Windows 10 PC. I have transferable license of Windows 10 on a PC and I would like to sell this PC without this license. Of course, I will format and securely erase HDD, but when new owner makes fresh PC installation,...
  7. Does resetting my PC affect my windows 10 digital license.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does resetting my PC affect my windows 10 digital license.: I have a laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 10. I want to reset my laptop due to a problem that wont go away and after trying other solutions on the internet the only solution left was to reset it.(ASUS Support Device notification wanting me to restart all the time)....
  8. Selling my PC with OEM Windows 10

Selling my PC with OEM Windows 10: So I'm selling my current PC and getting a new one, where I'll probably just get a new retail version of Windows 10, the only thing I'm keeping from my current PC are my Hard Drives. This current PC I have is a Windows 10 OEM Version I got from my local Fry's, and I was...
  9. Selling my PC but want to keep my license

Selling my PC but want to keep my license: So I have windows 10 pro, I plan on resetting this pc and selling it without my windows 10 license or in other words take it back, how do I do that? In what order? Thank you...
  10. Selling PC with Windows license

Selling PC with Windows license: I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to sell a PC to my brother and I want the Windows license to go with it. I have all the parts for a replacement PC that I will build in a few days and for that I will buy a new Windows license. I guess the questions I have are:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 license sell