Windows 10: How is the Windows 10 Hello password protected against Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid...

Discus and support How is the Windows 10 Hello password protected against Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 with Windows Hello Face Recognition. Instead of Face Recognition, Windows Hello also accepts a password thus no... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Sweet_Potato, May 15, 2020.

1. How is the Windows 10 Hello password protected against Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid...

I have a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 with Windows Hello Face Recognition. Instead of Face Recognition, Windows Hello also accepts a password thus no 2FA. The harddrive is encrypted with VeraCrypt.

Assume Windows is running but locked and VeraCrypt is unlocked. An attacker steels the laptop. How is the attacker prevented from accessing Windows via a Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid attack?

:)

Sweet_Potato, May 15, 2020
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

rar password lost

There is no easy way to remove a password from a RAR file. You will have to use the common method of dictionary or brute force techniques.

3. xorbe Win User
    Think your passwords are secure enough?

Don't reuse a password with a few characters changed at the end somewhere else. If they crack one password, they can brute-force the last 4-5 characters, if they have only the hash, on a large list. If they were to target you specifically ... and that's why practically every motorcycle forum moved to 10-char passwords last month. They got badly owned (like one firm owns the large majority of m/c forums). At this point, you should really, really should be using fully unique passwords.

xorbe, May 15, 2020
  4. How is the Windows 10 Hello password protected against Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid...

Brute Force?

The only other thing I can think of (at the moment) is the "Brute Force" approach. *Sad

If you know what Registry setting is responsible, you could create a batch file to adjust that setting and then set the batch file to run when you start your laptop.

lehnerus2000, May 15, 2020
Thema:

How is the Windows 10 Hello password protected against Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid...

1. How is the Windows 10 Hello password protected against Brute-Force, Dictionary or Hybrid... - Similar Threads - Hello password protected

2. Microsoft brings account brute-force protections to older versions of Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft brings account brute-force protections to older versions of Windows: Microsoft unveiled plans in July 2022 to roll out brute force protection against local accounts in the next version of Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022. The added protection is now enabled on new machines running Windows 11 and on "any new machines that include the October...
  3. Windows 10 Protection against viruses and malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Protection against viruses and malware: With Windows 10 is it necessary to subscribe to third party anti-virus software such as Norton or Avast. or is the Windows 10 capable of stopping any and all threats? What are the settings that should be turned on? I am a senior with very poor knowledge of technology. Please...
  4. Windows 10 Protection against viruses and malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Protection against viruses and malware: With Windows 10 is it necessary to subscribe to third party anti-virus software such as Norton or Avast. or is the Windows 10 capable of stopping any and all threats? What are the settings that should be turned on? I am a senior with very poor knowledge of technology. Please...
  5. Windows 10 Protection against viruses and malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Is my user password protected, and what does it protect against?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is my user password protected, and what does it protect against?: Hello everyone I can't figure out, if my Windows user is really password protected. I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home I have only 1 local user / admin If I shutdown PC, and turn on again, I don't have to enter password If I restart PC, I don't have to enter password If...
  7. Protection Against Ransomwares

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  8. Hello how do I disable protection against Windows virus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hello how do I disable protection against Windows virus: Hello how do I disable protection against Windows virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-how-do-i-disable-protection-against-windows/b6f5968a-ee7d-4c2b-a76c-46d0ef61fac6
  9. Windows 10 Pin code pfishing/brute force attack?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Pin code pfishing/brute force attack?: Recently when turning the computer on a series of incorrect pin codes are automatically and rapidly generated and rejected until the a1b2c3 phrase appears. Only then can I enter the code and access computer. It seems a computer is attempting to guess the pin code. I've done...
  10. "Brute Force" disconnecting USB External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Brute Force" disconnecting USB External HDD: Hi, I have 1 HDD connected to one USB 3.0 Port. When I connect a second HDD to another USB 3.0 Port, windows automatically Disconnects/Reconnects the First HDD. I can listen the Motor of the HDD going down, exactly as if I removed the Power Supply. This is not good. It...