Windows 10: How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer?

Discus and support How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11 is the talk of the town, having been released yesterday. Have you upgraded to the new OS? Gamers will have a question about it, no they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 6, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer?

Windows 11 is the talk of the town, having been released yesterday. Have you upgraded to the new OS? Gamers will have a question about it, no they aren't going to ask, can it run Game XYZ? The real concern is, how is the gaming performance in Windows 11? Is it worth sticking to Windows 10, or do you get a boost when you upgrade to Windows 11?

Phrased differently: is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 if you use the Windows 10 PC for gaming predominantly?

Windows 11 Gaming Performance

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? Windows-11-Gaming-Performance.jpg

I tested some graphics-heavy games from my library, and here is how they fared. Before we start, I should tell you how I rate the performance, I prefer a smooth frame rate and gameplay over the quality of the graphics. That is the only way to tell whether there are lag spikes, micro stutters, or other issues.

Red Dead Redemption 2

The game takes a while to start up, but this has always been the case with the Rockstar launcher, it is really an awful program and Windows 11 isn't to blame here. Anyway, the game itself runs fine. As crazy as this may sound, I actually got better FPS in RDR 2 (Update 1.26 Build 1436.28) at High/Ultra settings than with Medium/High graphics, there was about a 10FPS difference for some reason. The performance does drop in heavily populated areas like St.Denis, but that is to be expected, and I had the same issue with Windows 10.

Horizon Zero Dawn

The game's performance at launch was quite poor, but Guerrilla Games patched in several fixes and HZD runs smoothly since the last update. No complaints here on Windows 11. Here is the benchmark from the game, but I'd say don't judge it by the results.

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? Windows-11-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-FPS.jpg

Note: The game incorrectly detects the OS as Windows 10 2009, while it is Windows 11 21H2 build 22000.194.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Valhalla is perhaps the only game in the list that I had concerns about. I have over 125 hours into it, so I think it's fair to say I know the problems with the game. But I'm happy with its performance on Windows 11, it's good not great.

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? Windows-11-Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Medium-High-Settings.jpg

Truth to be told, it wasn't the smoothest on Windows 10 either, I could never manage to get Assassin's Creed Valhalla running at solid 60 fps regardless of the graphics settings, but I'll take the 50-55 FPS performance quite gladly. Surprisingly, Photo Mode (and Online Mode) no longer crashes the game, though I think that has to with Ubisoft's patches.

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? Windows-11-ACValhalla-FPS.jpg

Valhalla too detects the OS build incorrectly.

Far Cry 5

The performance of Far Cry 5 really surprised me, it works quite well on Windows 11, even on Ultra graphics settings, which is saying something for a Ubisoft title. I had no issues with the game, and that 60FPS is really a treat.

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? Windows-11-Far-Cry-5-Ultimate-Settings.jpg

Forza Horizon 4

Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Gamepass PC version 1.474.687.2) ran flawlessly at high settings and a solid 60FPS. The loading times weren't too bad either.

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? Windows-11-Forza-Horizon-4-FPS.jpg

How good is Windows 11 for gaming?

Aside from Horizon Zero Dawn, the other games that I mentioned above, all have some sort of DRM that taxes the CPU a bit more. Many games have a frame rate cap, that you can enable to lock the FPS to 30 or 45 or 60, depending on your computer's hardware capabilities.

I have a mid-range gaming laptop with an NVidia GTX 1650 graphics card, an i5 9300H CPU, 8GB of RAM and an m.2 SSD. If you have an Nvidia RTX graphics card or an AMD Radeon RX GPU, and maybe an NVMe SDD, you will have a much better gaming performance with Windows 11. Before testing/playing the games, you should update your graphics driver to the latest version. I faced no issues emulating games in RetroArch, melonDS, PPSSPP and Citra either. The Xbox Wireless Controller works across all games as expected.

Recently, there have been reports that Microsoft VBS (virtualization-based security) has a negative impact on gaming performance in Windows 11. VBS is used for protecting the system against malware attacks, you can learn more about it here and here. I don't recommend disabling the setting, but if your games aren't running smoothly, you may turn it off at your own risk. If that doesn't deter you, go to Windows Security > Device Security > Core Isolation Details > and toggle the option for Memory Integrity.

Overall, I think Windows 11 offers the same gaming experience as Windows 10, unless you can take advantage of the DirectStorage feature, which boosts the loading performance of games that support it. Then again, it is not a Windows 11 exclusive feature.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 6, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Unable to play farmville game in IE 11

Hi Donna,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you face same issue in Microsoft Edge too?
    • Is the issue specific to Farmville game?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Check if the Add-on are causing the issue.

Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer 11

Step 2: Let us check if cookies might be the reason for the issue.

Delete and manage cookies

Step 3: If the above steps didn't help in resolving the issue then I suggest you to reset Internet Explorer.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer
    Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the
    Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Note: Also install all pending Windows updates in your PC and check.

Do let us know if you need any further assistance. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 6, 2021
  3. windows 10 microsoft games

if uninstall the game then reinstall the game will I lose all my awards?

rusty wheelchar, Oct 6, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer?

IE 11 not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet Explorer. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Explorer.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 6, 2021
Thema:

1. How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer? - Similar Threads - gaming performance Should

2. Should you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 version 22H2?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 version 22H2?: Windows 10 is the most popular desktop operating system from a usage share point of view. While some Windows 10 owners decided to upgrade to Windows 11 when the operating system came out last year, the majority decided against it. [ATTACH] Apart from the elephant in the...
  3. Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?: Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system has been out for almost two weeks at this point. The operating system is available via Windows Update on compatible devices only, but can also be downloaded and installed on devices that do not meet Windows 11's minimal system...
  4. Windows 7, should you upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7, should you upgrade?: On the topic of using a Windows 7 machine and deciding whether or not to upgrade to windows 10, I've come to some conclusions. If you plan on purchasing a new computer that has windows 10 installed to replace your old windows 7 machine that's fine, but if You're using a...
  5. Windows 7, should you upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7, should you upgrade?: On the topic of using a Windows 7 machine and deciding whether or not to upgrade to windows 10, I've come to some conclusions. If you plan on purchasing a new computer that has windows 10 installed to replace your old windows 7 machine that's fine, but if You're using a...
  6. Windows 7, should you upgrade?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. If forced Updates annoy you, you should upgrade to 1903.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If forced Updates annoy you, you should upgrade to 1903.: [ATTACH] Personally, I've had no issues with Windows forcing an update onto me in the past but this is still nice to see. On 1903, it seems like Windows doesn't even download updates during the active hours any more. It shows you which updates are available and waits...
  8. GAMERS, which OS do you use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GAMERS, which OS do you use?: GAMERS, I'm going to build an inexpensive gaming machine and I started to wonder about the OS. I'm interested in knowing if I gamers run Linux (Ubuntu) or does it have to be windows? I have to pay for Window and I can get Linux for free...and since I don't do any gaming, I...
  9. What "Gamer" Gear Do You Use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What "Gamer" Gear Do You Use?: Curious to know what all of you are running as far as "gamer gear" (keyboard, mouse, headset, ect.). I'm using a Logitech K380 wireless keyboard, Logitech MX wireless mouse, and a pair of Apple ear buds (which are surprisingly really good). I also have a Logitech G230...
  10. Why you should now use an MS Account if you upgraded to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why you should now use an MS Account if you upgraded to Windows 10: To date, I usually used a local login account to login to Windows 10. However, with the new activation trouble shooter, you can now transfer a digital licence to a new device. This new method is only in the Insider versions but will be available to all users in the...