Windows 10: How is this memory usage even possible?

Discus and support How is this memory usage even possible? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, How is it possible that I have 88% memory usage with no programs running? [img] I thought it could be caused by memory leaks, but after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jmss, Jun 27, 2019.

1. jmss Win User

How is this memory usage even possible?

Hi,

How is it possible that I have 88% memory usage with no programs running?

How is this memory usage even possible? [​IMG]

I thought it could be caused by memory leaks, but after a fresh boot it is the same.

This an 8 GB machine, how can "nothing" occupy 88%?

This has been happening periodically with this machine (check my profile for details on the machine).

This specific time (when I took the screenshot) an admin has launched the disk defragmenter but not the other times. May this be caused by periodic runs of defragmenter eating all machine's mem?

Needless to say, this can take hours during which applications like Fireofox, Chrome, Outlook, etc. stop responding for several seconds. Also, machine iresponsiveness renders the machine unusable (a click can take 1 min to produce any effect).

Thanks for any hints.

João M. S. Silva

:)

2. 100% Memory usage

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You might be facing this issue due to several reasons like low virtual memory, third party software conflicts, virus threat on the computer etc.

Even though no programs or applications are running, some background services can show memory usage and disk usage. In order to check which particular program is using the memory, I would suggest you to check the Task manager.

Refer to these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X, select
    task manager.

2. Click on the ‘Processes’ tab and it will show you show you a list of programs and services running and their corresponding memory usage and disk usage.

3. Check if any of the item listed is consuming more memory or disk usage than normal.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if this helps.

You need to increase the virtual memory by making it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive
    in each drive.

To do this, follow the steps:

1. Go to Control Panel (Press Windows key + X)> All control panel items > System

2. Click on Advanced system settings.

3. Under Performance, click on settings

4. Go to Advanced tab

5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change

6. Un-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box

7. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed)

8. Click on Custom size radio button

9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB

10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB

11. Click on Set

12. Click on OK thrice

13. Restart your system

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Jose Est Win User
    100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jun 27, 2019
  4. How is this memory usage even possible?

System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

How is this memory usage even possible?

1. How is this memory usage even possible? - Similar Threads - memory usage possible

2. How Is This Even Possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Is This Even Possible?: How rich does a company have to be? to be able to release an OS like Windows 11, and then "update" the task manager to a steaming pile of trash? That is my question. I upgraded all 3 of my PCs, and now I have 3 PCs with a task manager that freezes and crashes all the time....
  3. How Is This Even Possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Is This Even Possible?: How rich does a company have to be? to be able to release an OS like Windows 11, and then "update" the task manager to a steaming pile of trash? That is my question. I upgraded all 3 of my PCs, and now I have 3 PCs with a task manager that freezes and crashes all the time....
  4. Memory usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Memory usage: I don't know Why my Memory use of antivirus service are so high https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/memory-usage/e86a6d14-787e-450a-b90a-0261aebcdff9
  5. memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    memory usage: hi all:My laptop has 16GB of ram installed. Checking the memory information via the task manager, it states that 5.9GB is in use and 9.6GB available. Is 5.9GB in use normal or can I lower the usage of the GB of ram?...
  6. Very high virtual memory usage and possibly "handle" leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very high virtual memory usage and possibly "handle" leak: [ATTACH] Hi, I have 2x8 DDR4 3000Mhz RAM. I use 5-6 GB of them in general. But my virtual memory is 45GB -i did not set any limit it is managed by Windows- Why it happens? The most RAM consumer software is Google Chrome which I use and it crashes some times with "Out of...
  7. Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Usage: Hiya, My name is Angelo, Hi. My issues is the total amount of RAM that is being sucked-up as in used by the O/S even without me doing anything. The first thing I notice is that the antimalware app is killing my RAM, then WMI, System Interrupts, all the usual, then...
  8. Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Usage: My computer is in idle state still 80 to 90% of the memory is being used. Due to this I am unable to do anything on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-usage/5db7c4ad-57c7-4f61-b9df-f84b267ecd88
  9. How to limit memory usage?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to limit memory usage?: i discover window always use 50% memory how to limit the memory usage of system resource to 1GB or minimum only for window 7 and window 10? can this show log about program location when any program or system or service exceed 32MB if i lower this limit , can explorer or...
  10. Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Memory Usage: Hi, I bought a new laptop two days ago. It is a DELL Inspiron 13 5000 13.3 inch 2 in 1 convertible touchscreen laptop. The CPU is an i3-7100U and it has 4 GB RAM with a 1TB HDD. I noticed it can lag a bit when I open anything. Nothing has been downloaded onto the Laptop, I...