Windows 10: How keep windows off the taskbar?

Discus and support How keep windows off the taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 20H2 or 2H20 or whatever's current. I have a number of fairly large windows up all the time - browser, Lightroom, Photoshop, other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GracieAllen, Dec 26, 2020.

1. How keep windows off the taskbar?

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 or 2H20 or whatever's current.

I have a number of fairly large windows up all the time - browser, Lightroom, Photoshop, other tools. And occasionally have to resize one. Too often, I end up dragging the window instead and it goes down behind the taskbar.

Worse, if I'm watching a webinar, or online workshop, or possibly Zoom, and I maximize the video, it too puts the bottom behind the taskbar. And the controls become inaccessible.

Is there SOME (reasonable) way to tell windows "this is your work area. DON'T go down there behind the task bar!"

I've tried in Dell Display Manager, but it does BIZARRE and unpleasant things like make EVERYTHING full screen. So it's not a convenient solution...

I've locked the taskbar, I've unlocked the taskbar, I've made the taskbar vanish when not in use (I hate that one), I've read all sorts of topics in places about fixing this. So far, nothing...

SADLY, had I know YEARS AGO, when we first got the taskbar what a PITA this would be, I'd have put it vertically on the side which would make a LOT more sense since vertical space is a lot more constrained than horizontal. But, I tried that and hated IT more than having stuff stuck behind there periodically...

Anybody have an idea that'll work - to keep things out of the taskbar area?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 26, 2020

2. Taskbar Issue with Multiple Monitors

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

Please share the information below:

• Are you using a Local Account or a Microsoft Account?
    • What is the make and model of your PC?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties.
    • Check if the option for Lock the Taskbar and Auto-hide the taskbar
      are ticked.
    • If they are ticked then uncheck the option for Auto-hide the taskbar.

Also, suggest you to update the Display driver by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Taskbar sometimes on top of full-screen applications

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the Screen Resolution and check if this helps. Follow the steps below to do the same:

• Press ‘Windows ’ key on the keyboard.
    • In the search box, type Settings
    • SelectSystem > Display > Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, select a new value. We suggest you stick with the resolution marked
      "(Recommended)”.
    Also try locking and then unlocking the Taskbar and check if this helps. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click an empty space on the taskbar.
    • If Lock the Taskbar has a check mark next to it, the taskbar is locked.
    • If it does not have a check mark, click Lock the Taskbar.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

How keep windows off the taskbar?

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

How keep windows off the taskbar?

1. How keep windows off the taskbar? - Similar Threads - keep off taskbar

2. Taskbar Icons or "Hidden Icons" Keep Getting Turned Off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icons or "Hidden Icons" Keep Getting Turned Off: My Taskbar Icons "used to be SysTray Icons" keep getting "Hidden" even though I turn them on. After a week or so, they get turned back off. Very annoying and there used to be a way to turn them ALL on prior to Windows 11 and now they're managed individually. The icons that I...
  3. Taskbar Icons or "Hidden Icons" Keep Getting Turned Off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Icons or "Hidden Icons" Keep Getting Turned Off: My Taskbar Icons "used to be SysTray Icons" keep getting "Hidden" even though I turn them on. After a week or so, they get turned back off. Very annoying and there used to be a way to turn them ALL on prior to Windows 11 and now they're managed individually. The icons that I...
  4. News in Taskbar is turned off but keeps showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    News in Taskbar is turned off but keeps showing up: I checked the registry and the value to turn off news is set to 2. The 'off' setting is checked on the taskbar options. How do I turn it off?...
  5. News in Taskbar is turned off but keeps showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    News in Taskbar is turned off but keeps showing up: I checked the registry and the value to turn off news is set to 2. The 'off' setting is checked on the taskbar options. How do I turn it off?...
  6. News in Taskbar is turned off but keeps showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to turn off orange taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to turn off orange taskbar icons?: I see thishttps://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hdr0r9/how_do_you_disable_this_annoying_orange_app/ and the response is about stopping the flashing and I've followed the steps. But I would rather turn off the orange entirely. Especially since minecraft seems to be...
  8. How to turn off taskbar notifications?

How to turn off taskbar notifications?: Currently my taskbar is in the mode where it is invisible unless I move my mouse to bring it up from the bottom of my screen. As such, whenever something happens in a game or app that windows thinks is of note it makes my taskbar appear and makes the app flash orange to get...
  9. How to turn off tall taskbar?

How to turn off tall taskbar?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Hiddenthorn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxpo17/how_to_turn_off_tall_taskbar/
  10. How to keep vertical taskbar underneath windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to keep vertical taskbar underneath windows: Hello everyone I have a vertical taskbar on the lefthand side. In Windows XP and Windows 7, with a vertical taskbar, if I moved a window towards the taskbar, the taskbar would go underneath the window (i.e. the window would go on top of the taskbar). In Windows 10,...