Windows 10: How long can I use this VM?

Discus and support How long can I use this VM? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi all It´s a first time that I make a virtual box. I came here following the thread "How to Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Tiburcio, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Tiburcio Win User

How long can I use this VM?

Hi all

It´s a first time that I make a virtual box. I came here following the thread "How to Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox" and the installation occurred as expected except for two items:

a) The wireless network adapter configuration was successful without any configuration (good for me!)

b) The click/tap on the PIN me! button didn´t work (I understood that I had to enter a password at the time to set the PIN and the installation keyboard wasn´t working), so I chose to enter a microsoft account (*) and it was Ok.

So, these little questions didn´t compromise the tutorial and the installation was successful and works very well, the windows 10 x64 pro virtual works normal, I can turn on and off the virtual machine install, software such as antivirus (one of the products I want to test here), browse by web, etc...

-0-0-0-0-

My idea is to use this Virtual Box just to TEST third-party updates and software, because I have a windows 10 pro license that I use normally and this version of windows has so many news and I don´t want to "take risks" in my original installation. Recently had a problem that caused me a huge waste of time to revert ...

-0-0-0-0-

My doubts are:

1) It is possible? It's legal? Is there a cool way to test software before installing on the original windows?

2) I used the "click / tap on I do not have a product key to manually activate Windows 10 later", because I do not think it's possible to use my own key that is enabled on this computer, okay?

3) If this is possible and made the correct choice in question 2 above, how long can I use this VM without activating windows 10? Will I need a key? Is the virtual machine going to crash because of this?

(*) In doubt, I used a different microsoft account than the one I use in my actual installation.

-0-0-0-0-

Greetings

:)

Tiburcio, Nov 19, 2016

2. how long can i use an unactivated windows 10?

Hi Ablazin,

If a computer has Windows 10 that isn’t activated yet, it can be used for 30days. For more information regarding Windows Activation, you can check this

article

Should you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Genevieve Cri, Nov 19, 2016
  3. how long can i use an unactivated windows 10?

hi i was wondering because my hard drive went bad in my older computer so i have to reinstall windows 10 on my new computer

Moved from: (Windows | Windows 10 | Windows update, recovery, & backup)

AblazinEagle, Nov 19, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

1) it is legal

2) it will not expire as far as is known

3) you cannot personalise install but no big deal really.

4) It will work fine.

5) recommend hyper-v if using pro. If home, recommsnd vmware over virtualbox.

cereberus, Nov 22, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Another option where you can get fully functional Windows 10 VMs(and Win7 & Win8.1 for that matter) that run for 90days, then expire. But you can roll back, legally...
    Free Virtual Machines from IE8 to MS Edge - Microsoft Edge Development

Cliff S, Nov 22, 2016
  6. Tiburcio Win User
    Very grateful for the elucidation.

Asap will do a test first with VMWare (I've already used it for Linux) and maybe later I'll try this Hyper-V, which I didn´t know even if it's a good test option cause I saw a preview of the installation here:

Install Hyper-V and create a virtual machine
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us//li...(v=ws.11).aspx

And found it very complicated; compared to Virtual Box and VMWare ...

Maybe I'll find some time and do it.

greetings

Tiburcio, Nov 22, 2016
  7. Tiburcio Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    By personal choice I don´t use the Edge nor as a browser.
    It´s the first time I read about it and would hardly imagine the possibility of testing an OS in this way.
    Actually the concept of using Edge for virtualization is something I need to assimilate.
    Who knows I find a utility, I´ll read more closely the shared article because still "in a first read" I don´t understand how it works

greetings

Tiburcio, Nov 22, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Look in excellent tutorials section here how to use hyper-v. Far superior to others!

cereberus, Nov 23, 2016
  9. Tiburcio Win User
    Ok

I´ll take a look!

greetings

Tiburcio, Nov 24, 2016
  10. Dave M Win User
    I wanted to add, if you're using Hyper-V to run a late Windows based VM (8.1 / 2012 R2 and later) it's hard to beat considering it is included in the price of admission with Windows 8+ Professional and higher systems.

If you're going to run Linux or older Windows based systems, I prefer VMware Workstation, but it's fairly pricey. Virtualbox works well considering it's free.

They all have their ups and downs. If all you're looking for is a Windows sandbox to play around with, I'd stick with Hyper-V. It is a tad bit more complex than VMware Workstation and Virtualbox, about on par with an enterprise grade VMware solution (vCenter / ESXi / vSphere). The pedigree of Hyper-V comes from MS Server platforms though, so a bit of added complexity and functionality is to be expected. Once you get past the learning curve it's very good and brings a lot of features to the table!

Dave M, Nov 27, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You can also use VMware Player for free, if you don't need any extras:
    To Download:
    free
    or
    Download VMware Player - MajorGeeks
    And yes one thing I don't like about Hyper-V(the hypervisor I use) is not having sound when using Ubuntu, but that's ok, as I use Ubuntu, or any other Linux distro to browse the "unknown", and really do not want it to share with my host system anyhow, as in my case I want it truly sandboxed for use..

Windows OSs in Hyper-V are great testing playgrounds. If you think ahead and create an Export to an external disk in case you accidentally nuke your "key activated" virtual hard disk, which has your Unique ID, and then loose your Windows key, forever because you cannot run slmgr /upk anymore*Eek. and then use checkpoints to recover if you really mess up, you can restore to the exact previous state where you made the checkpoint.

Cliff S, Nov 27, 2016
  12. kado897 Win User
    You can also make snapshots with VirtualBox but not with VMWare Player so if you can't use Hyper-V I recommend VirtualBox.

kado897, Nov 27, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

You can just make a copy of your VM in VMware Player and stick it somewhere, and if you botch things, delete the screwed up one and place the copy where the old one was, not forgetting to rename it, by deleting the copy number, like Windows 8,.1(1), get rid of the "(1)", that's all. I learned that from @essenbe.

Cliff S, Nov 27, 2016
  14. kado897 Win User
    I should have thought of that.*Redface

kado897, Nov 27, 2016
  15. essenbe Win User
    It works great. I've done it numerous times.

essenbe, Nov 27, 2016
Thema:

1. How long can I use this VM? - Similar Threads - long

2. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  3. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  4. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11: Last night April 21 2024 at 9:00 PM, I tried System Restore with my 4 month old HP Pavilion 15 laptop because I was dealing with issues on installing a program, and it took me an average of 30 minutes.After I did System Restore on startup, Windows gives me this popup screen...
  6. Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11

Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11: Last night April 21 2024 at 9:00 PM, I tried System Restore with my 4 month old HP Pavilion 15 laptop because I was dealing with issues on installing a program, and it took me an average of 30 minutes.After I did System Restore on startup, Windows gives me this popup screen...
  7. Long delay before launching programs from autorun

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long delay before launching programs from autorun: Back on Win10 LTSC after one update, I had a long startup long time was on "welcome", then I put Win11 the latest version with all updates and now I have after the desktop appears, it takes about 50 seconds to start programs from autoboot. Previously it took about 15 seconds,...
  8. Long delay before launching programs from autorun

Long delay before launching programs from autorun: Back on Win10 LTSC after one update, I had a long startup long time was on "welcome", then I put Win11 the latest version with all updates and now I have after the desktop appears, it takes about 50 seconds to start programs from autoboot. Previously it took about 15 seconds,...
  9. some applications freeze for long times for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    some applications freeze for long times for no reason: i have been having a problem where apps would take a very long time sometimes 15+ minutes to load, steam is the main one ive noticed however even file explorer has the same bug and takes like a minute to load a folder and my computer just freezes without me being to do...
  10. some applications freeze for long times for no reason

some applications freeze for long times for no reason: i have been having a problem where apps would take a very long time sometimes 15+ minutes to load, steam is the main one ive noticed however even file explorer has the same bug and takes like a minute to load a folder and my computer just freezes without me being to do...