Windows 10: How long do your image backups take - Full Disk vs Diff vs Increment?

Discus and support How long do your image backups take - Full Disk vs Diff vs Increment? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just wanting to get an idea of backup completion times from other users out here... I use the forum favorite Macrium Reflect for my image backups.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KabyBlue, Feb 1, 2019.

1. KabyBlue Win User

How long do your image backups take - Full Disk vs Diff vs Increment?

Just wanting to get an idea of backup completion times from other users out here...

I use the forum favorite Macrium Reflect for my image backups. Last night I ran a full image backup of my C: & D: drives and it took approx 2 hrs & 50 mins for a full disk backup + image verification. Total amount of data was ~450GB compressed to a MReflect 350GB image. It was clear the bottleneck during the transfer was my 2TB My Passport as my boot & storage drives are an M.2 1TB NVMe SSD & a 2.5" 500GB SSD respectively.

So, how long do your backups take on average & how often do you do these? Please state what program you use as well as the storage mediums you have as the source & destination (e.g tradition external HDD or a off-site/on-site NAS hardwired). And would also like to know if others use the image verification feature as well. *Smile

:)

KabyBlue, Feb 1, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?

Restoring a differential backup requires 2 files., whereas restoring an incremental backup requires you have n files where n is as many as there are to date.

Maintaining space on the image destination should then be easier with differential backups. Imagine you have base image, diff1, diff2, diff3 and you want to create diff4 but your disk is getting a bit full. So you can delete diff 1- no problem.

With incrementals, I seem to recall noting you can consolidate a set of incrementals. So that wouldn't be so obvious.

Macrium R requires you purchase a license to get incremental imaging. Differential is free.

Just a couple of angles on the topic- you need to work out a backup regime you personally are comfortable with.

dalchina, Feb 1, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Incremental backup programs

The Free version does differential backups which is quite adequate for small differences.

A diff backup contains all the changes since last full backup.

So if Full had File A version 1 and diff had File A version 2, then if you restore Full backup, you get File A version 1. If you select the Diff (+full) backup, you get File A version 2.

cereberus, Feb 1, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

How does Macrium's incremental backup feature work?

Suppose you do a full backup with files A, B, C, D and later you add File E to PC and create an incremental backup, it will add file E only to the incremental backup. Next day, you add F to PC, and create a second incremental backup containing file F. On day 3, you delete file B from PC - the incremental file stores a delete file B command in the incremental.

So you gt a chain of files linked together starting with the full backup and when you do a restore, you choose up to which incremental you want to restore to.

The free version does not do incremental files but does differential files. This is similar but works cumulatively.

Each day you do a differential backup, it stores all changes since the last full backup NOT since last incremental.

So Diff 1 contains E, Diff 2 E+F, Diff 3 E+F-B etc.

So diffs are less space efficient BUT you only need one diff at selected date and the full backup to restore to the selected date.

Problem with incs if one fails, all later incs are useless. With diffs, this problem is much less of an issue.

To be honest, unless you create masses of data, diffs are easier to and less confusing to follow. For most domestic users, diffs are perfectly adequate as the difis will be relatively small.

cereberus, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

1. How long do your image backups take - Full Disk vs Diff vs Increment? - Similar Threads - long image backups

2. System Image vs File Backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Image vs File Backup?: Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit for this, but after fiddling around with the Windows File System backup and having it run into a bunch of issues, I finally decided to get the Macrium Reflect software. Now that I have easier access to making a system image though, I’m...
  3. Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups: forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree" vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?and if not, what is the difference between them...
  4. Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups: forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree" vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?and if not, what is the difference between them...
  5. VS Code and images

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VS Code and images: cannot open image in visual studio Code. Have tried for three weeks and I still cannot open my image in VS Code i seen that the downloaded zip file is opening up in a folder that I did not choose...
  6. File History vs System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History vs System Image Backup: Hi! I have a question regarding File History vs System Image Backup, that I haven't been able to find online unfortunately. System Image Backup is something that I understand can be scheduled to ones needs, daily, weekly or so forth, and can be done on specific folders...
  7. revovery usb disk vs system repair disk vs system image

in Windows 10 Support
    revovery usb disk vs system repair disk vs system image: Hi Guys Scenario: if system is unable to boot, windows corrupted ,crashed completely. 1. Could you please clarify the difference between the Usb recovery disk and system repair disk created by the windows 10. And if I have my system image created already the do I really...
  8. recovery vs image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery vs image: yesterday I created a recovery disc , do I still need to create an image disc as well ? 17363
  9. Backup vs history

Backup vs history: I had bad experience with win 8.1 history back, it did not worked. Is the windows backup history reliable, or should I use windows 7 backup? Thanks 87287
  10. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size: My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too big. My question is how big is too big? My thinking (and this is just a guess) is that when the differential backup is about...