Windows 10: How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10?

Discus and support How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using my laptop with 1TB of HDD storage and windows 10 with Intel i5 8th Gen CPU and 8 GB of RAM configuration. How long should it take for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jayant Chauhan2, Oct 27, 2020.

1. How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10?

I am using my laptop with 1TB of HDD storage and windows 10 with Intel i5 8th Gen CPU and 8 GB of RAM configuration. How long should it take for deframantation for around 60% used of 1TB HDD?

:)

Jayant Chauhan2, Oct 27, 2020

2. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

Andrew E, your post is slightly misleading, as anything run from the command prompt, even with admin elevation still runs under Windows so files in use will still not be defragged.

You would need a 3rd party app that runs before Windows loads to properly defrag the HDD.

Also Windows defrag will not touch files over a certain size (hence the suggestion to remove the page file), so if your HDD has lots of large files saved in non contiguous sectors defragging will have a minimal effect.

Also even though a disk clean-up is good practice to remove unnecessary files it is not a required step as those files will be defragmented along with any other files defrag can work with.

The main thing the original poster needs to be aware of is that running any defrag app while the Optane acceleration is active could lead to file system errors and possibly break his Windows installation.

The reason being that the Optane driver expects to find the files its caching to be in a particular place on the HDD.

I suggest you read the Optane guides and information on the Intel website and forums before suggesting the original poster tries to defrag using any method.

PeterLeonard1, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

My computer has a HDD and an Intel optane drive installed. I opened the windows defrag tool to try and defrag my HDD and it says that both the HDD and optane drive are SSDs and can't be optimized. I found a troubleshooting guide on how to fix the defragmenter.
    I've already tried sfc/scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. The guide also said to check the disk defragmenter service to make sure that it is configured properly, and I can't find any disk defragmenter services listed in the services list.
    What can I do to get windows to defrag my HDD?

patmiller4, Oct 27, 2020
  4. How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10?

Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10?

1. How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - long should defrag

2. Total reset - how long should it take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Total reset - how long should it take?: I have elected to do a total clean reset of my laptop opewrating on Windows 10. All seemed to be going well. However the machine seems to have stuck on 'Restarting' for some considerable time/ How long should it take?...
  3. Total reset - how long should it take?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total reset - how long should it take?: I have elected to do a total clean reset of my laptop opewrating on Windows 10. All seemed to be going well. However the machine seems to have stuck on 'Restarting' for some considerable time/ How long should it take?...
  4. How long should system restore take on a 1 TB hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long should system restore take on a 1 TB hdd?: After an update I installed, my pc wasn't booting properly so I restored my pc to the last point. I read from most news articles that it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes, but it's been an hour and a half and I think it might be stuck. What do I do? submitted by /u/kevlu8...
  5. How long should adding a user take?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How long should adding a user take?: I added a user. Then rebooted my laptop and logged in as the new user. My lsptop has had a black screen for over an hour. I don’t want to shut it down if it is just porting apps over but it seems like it might have encojntered a problem. Doed snyone know what to do about...
  6. How long should a reset take?

How long should a reset take?: Hey, clueless about anything and everything pc... got a new one and sending the old one to a friend. Trying to reset it. It is currently at a small blue screen saying Preparing to reset. Under that is a circle of rotating lil dots, and a message saying, Preparing to reset...
  7. How long should error checking on a 4TB HDD take?

How long should error checking on a 4TB HDD take?: [ATTACH] I noticed my 4TB HDD started to act kinda funky. I decided run some error checking on it and I am stuck at this point for the last few hours. Actually it's been running close to 19 hours. I don't want to stop it because I don't have to but at some point I will...
  8. How long should a windows 10 reset take?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How long should a windows 10 reset take?: I have did a remove just my files reset yesterday at 8pm and as of not its 5:07 and it looks like its stuck at 2% im scared to do a hard restart so what should i do...
  9. How long does it take to clone a 1TB hdd with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How long does it take to clone a 1TB hdd with Macrium: The process was started three hours ago and its only 59% done is this normal? 95009
  10. How long should preparation for upgrade take?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long should preparation for upgrade take?: I am upgrading from Windows 7 on a brand new computer. It has been in the "Getting your upgrade ready" stage for at least seven hours and, in fact, has been at 99 percent for at least an hour Is this normal? If not, what should I do? 56870

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How long to defrag 1TB