Windows 10: How long should preparation for upgrade take?

Discus and support How long should preparation for upgrade take? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am upgrading from Windows 7 on a brand new computer. It has been in the "Getting your upgrade ready" stage for at least seven hours and, in fact, has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sid316, Jul 20, 2016.

1. sid316 Win User

How long should preparation for upgrade take?

I am upgrading from Windows 7 on a brand new computer. It has been in the "Getting your upgrade ready" stage for at least seven hours and, in fact, has been at 99 percent for at least an hour Is this normal? If not, what should I do?

:)

sid316, Jul 20, 2016

2. downloading Windows 10

After taking 2 1/2 hours to download, the program began "preparing for installation." After 1 hour it started to download Windows 10 again, plus a "preparing for upgrade" screen popped up. Is the preparing for upgrade part of the installation? Should I
    stop the 're-downloading of Windows 10 since it should already be there? If the preparing for upgrade is part of the installation process, how long does it take?

TomMugridge, Jul 20, 2016
  3. JerrySc Win User
    It seems to be hung on "Preparing for the upgrade" for 4 hours now

The download seems to have gone Ok, but now

It seems to be hung on "Preparing for the upgrade" for 4 hours now.

How long should it take?

JerrySc, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Jul 20, 2016
  5. sid316 Win User
    Since I am already in the middle of an upgrade will stopping it cause problems? Will I still have my Windows 7?

sid316, Jul 20, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You are in the getting ready phase. Nothing has been done to your computer yet. If you prefer, let it run overnight and see if it finishes. If not then follow the instructions.

I hope you made an image backup of your existing system before doing the upgrade. That is the only safe way I know of. Then if a problem occurs, you restore the backup image and you're right back to where you started. All it takes is an external USB hard drive or large flash drive and a program like Macrium Reflect Free.

Ztruker, Jul 20, 2016
  7. sid316 Win User
    I tried to start over with the link you gave me above. I got an error message 0x80070020 which I looked up and said I might have a software conflict. This is a brand new computer and the only other software on it right now is Chrome. I re-booted, made sure Chrome was closed, and I have now waited over 7 hours again. This time under the headline that says I am in the preparation stage it says that it is actually installing.
    Just after the upgrade was released I did it on a laptop and had no problem. I don't recall how long it took, but it certainly didn't seem this long.
    Any more thoughts on what I should do?

sid316, Jul 21, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

This link Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation?

Try it with Internet Explorer or even Edge.

To add IE to your Taskbar, click on the Start button then All Programs.
    Scroll down to Windows Accessories and click on it.
    Right click on Internet Explorer then More then right click on Internet Explorer and select Pin to Taskbar.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How long should preparation for upgrade take? - Similar Threads - long should preparation

2. Total reset - how long should it take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Total reset - how long should it take?: I have elected to do a total clean reset of my laptop opewrating on Windows 10. All seemed to be going well. However the machine seems to have stuck on 'Restarting' for some considerable time/ How long should it take?...
  3. Total reset - how long should it take?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Total reset - how long should it take?: I have elected to do a total clean reset of my laptop opewrating on Windows 10. All seemed to be going well. However the machine seems to have stuck on 'Restarting' for some considerable time/ How long should it take?...
  4. Total reset - how long should it take?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How Long Does An Upgrade Take.

How Long Does An Upgrade Take.: How long does it usually take for a reboot/upgrade to finish if it's done from the factory? Is it more than a day or so, I am just looking for answers on this so I don't have to go mad from waiting. 177310
  6. how long should a repair-install take?

how long should a repair-install take?: I'm using Win10_2004_English_x64.iso I'm going to select "not right now" for including further updates during the repair, and only do the repair using the ISO my HDD. I'm going to turn off my WIFI during the install so that Windows doesn't try to get anything else. Why?...
  7. How long should adding a user take?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How long should adding a user take?: I added a user. Then rebooted my laptop and logged in as the new user. My lsptop has had a black screen for over an hour. I don’t want to shut it down if it is just porting apps over but it seems like it might have encojntered a problem. Doed snyone know what to do about...
  8. How long should a reset take?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long should a reset take?: Hey, clueless about anything and everything pc... got a new one and sending the old one to a friend. Trying to reset it. It is currently at a small blue screen saying Preparing to reset. Under that is a circle of rotating lil dots, and a message saying, Preparing to reset...
  9. How long should a preparation for system restore take?

How long should a preparation for system restore take?: Hi everyone! I'm attempting to restore Windows 10 to an earlier date in an attempt to fix the drivers for my wireless network adapter. However, when I get the winodw telling me "Preparing to restore your system...", it's been there for about twenty minutes. Online, no one's...
  10. How long should the update be taking? Stuck on 27%...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long should the update be taking? Stuck on 27%...: Restarted PC for the update, it’s stuck on 27% right now with the circle still spinning. Been stuck here for a good while... did it take this long for other people? I saw someone earlier saying it was stuck on 0% for them EDIT: after about an hour it finally restarted itself...