Windows 10: How long to keep computer switched on?

Discus and support How long to keep computer switched on? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; that is safely for the computer, and premises? I don't always turn mine off at night, but wonder if I am incorrect, though I do believe some folk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by chipwood, Oct 14, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

How long to keep computer switched on?

that is safely for the computer, and premises?

I don't always turn mine off at night, but wonder if I am incorrect, though I do believe some folk leave their machine almost permanently on.

:)

chipwood, Oct 14, 2017

2. Do I have to keep the computer switched on for 24 hours on 29 July?

Original Title: Windows 10 Upgrade on 29 July

Do I have to keep the computer switched on for 24 hours on 29 July? 24 hours by local time or US Pacific/Mountain/Eastern time?

NarayananMoothiringode, Oct 14, 2017
  3. Do I have to keep the computer switched on for 24 hours on 29 July?

Hi Narayanan,

Thank you for showing interest in Windows 10.

You don't need to keep your computer on for 24 hours on July 29, 2015. If you have already reserve Windows 10 then you will be able to upgrade it to Windows 10 till July 29, 2016 for free. Microsoft might release an update which you need to install and you
    will good to go with Windows 10.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Most parts break on startup due to heat change going from cold to hot its less likely to fail if left on

Samuria, Oct 14, 2017
  5. clam1952 Win User
    There are good arguments for both methods.
    However if you are leaving it on 24/7 it will accumulate dust a lot quicker and make sure you are using a UPS to protect against power outages or surges and if you let it hibernate that's nearly the same as turning it off anyway. So nothing gained.

clam1952, Oct 14, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Any fireman will tell you to turn off all electrical devices where possible to minimise the risk of fire. I would turn the PC off unless you have some critical need to keep the PC on overnight.

Steve C, Oct 14, 2017
  7. Most electronic devices lifetime revolves around Capacitors , Short Circuiting & Frying Chips , whichever coming first .

So judging that your device have a good cooling system that is often serviced by you (cleaning all the compiling dust) would save a chip for indefinite years .

A mean to save it from altering current intensity (hopefully being on a good electrical grid or attached to a stabilizer *) then you're good with circuits too .

Then you'd be down to capacitors **, now these are known to have a defined life span averaging 10,000 hrs of use (close to a year and a half) , some companies ex: Asus / Lenovo claim they use 20,000 hrs of use capacitors and market this to be a lifetime indefinite capacitors (they do not put constant on state in consideration) giving them a 3 years span of being constantly on .

On a side notice capacitors of a desktop motherboard can be replaced by a technician , however that of a laptop or a hard-drive (yes they do use ones) need more of a jewel maker to have them replaced ***.

So bottom line your bottle neck would be capacitors and a life span of 2 ~ 4 years tops before device failure in case of constant on .

* Current stabilizer

How long to keep computer switched on? [​IMG]

** Desktop Capacitor

*** Laptop Capacitor

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 14, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I would be highly upset if I only got 2-3 years of service out of my electronics that are energized 24/7. I think the above is...ummm....a large percentage of hooey.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    I left my old sony on for nearly six years, only switching off occasionally. Frankly, these days it does not really matter much leaving them on 24/7. The average house has loads of things left on all the time or in standby - tvs, satellite boxes, router etc.

cereberus, Oct 14, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

That's correct. 24/7 MBs are guaranteed to last at least for 10 years continuous service. All caps are solid caps, meaning they do not use any electrolytic that can dry up.

Personally I would not leave a machine running 24/7 nowadays unless it pays for itself doing so.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 14, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    I run a fileservee 24x7. Has been running for nearly 4 years now.

pparks1, Oct 14, 2017
  12. Mooly Win User
    Hooey *Smile Well yes and no. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Capacitors do actually have quoted lifetimes which are shown in the relevant data sheets. You might be surprised just how 'low' some are. Typically a top quality part will have a quoted 'life' of at least 2000 hrs with the very best of the best at nearer 10,000 hrs, which is.... just over a year. And everything in between based on price/size/performance.

The good news is that this has no bearing on how long they last in a given application because these lifetime figures are also quoted at worst case usage conditions, which for electrolytic caps (which are the kind we are talking about here) mean operating at the maximum temperature rating (105C for most quality parts, 85C for standard commercial grade) and also at the maximum 'ripple current'... the AC current passing through the device under very specific test conditions.

So no need to worry folks. Lifetimes of 10 to 15 yrs are easily achievable, even with 24/7 usage for correctly designed equipment.

Mooly, Oct 14, 2017
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

If we're talking ripple current then we're talking PSU, right ? Often the weakest component in any rig which makes sense as it does take all the inrush current. A well designed PSU uses current limiters and should put out a stable voltage and current. Most residual ripple is HF crud caused by the choppers anywway. Pretty harmless unless you're into wideband high-end audio and then some...

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 14, 2017
  14. Clintlgm Win User
    Personally I believe in UPS's I have 2 business computer running 24/7 and in the last 1o years or so I have had on MB fail and 1 PSU. The MB was less than a year old. the PSU was so old I don't remember when I bought it. I usually upgrade MB and CPU ever 3 to 5 years and buy 1 gen back.
    I have lost one notebook at least to lightning in thunderstorms, it was not on a UPS at the time, I won't let that happen again. I also no longer leave my notebook running when I'm not using it. With SSD's Start up and loading window is a 15 second operation there is no advantage to leaving it running.
    The business computers I do for several reasons

Clintlgm, Oct 14, 2017
  15. pffft well shouldn't you at least google ?
    https://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pd...capacitors.pdf
    anything beyond that are you being lucky just due to factors stated in document .

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 15, 2017
Thema:

1. How long to keep computer switched on? - Similar Threads - long keep computer

2. how long does reset this computer take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how long does reset this computer take?: Recovery saves my files mode, screen shows getting things ready, and this shouldn't take long, but seems to be stalled. How long should I wait? Norton virus scanner is stalling too. Reason I am attempting to use recovery mode....
  3. how long does reset this computer take?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how long does reset this computer take?: Recovery saves my files mode, screen shows getting things ready, and this shouldn't take long, but seems to be stalled. How long should I wait? Norton virus scanner is stalling too. Reason I am attempting to use recovery mode....
  4. how long does reset this computer take?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Audio Keeps Switching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Keeps Switching: Hi, I have a problem where my audio would switch back from headphones to speakers for the 4 months now. It started back when I started school and had to use Zoom. So I would unplug my headphones from my computer so I can hear the teacher. The only way to fix the problem...
  6. Background image keeps switching to an image on another computer in network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background image keeps switching to an image on another computer in network: I keep seeing my background image change to an image that is on another computer in my network. I heard this has something to do with syncing but I do not know how to stop it. Is there a solution to this?...
  7. How long does it take to sync two computers?

How long does it take to sync two computers?: I have logged in to my two Windows 10 computers with the Microsoft Account and syncing has been enabled on both pc's. How long does it take to sync the computers? It has been 15 minutes and they are not synced yet....
  8. Computer keeps switching back to the desktop

Computer keeps switching back to the desktop: Why is it doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-keeps-switching-back-to-the-desktop/0ea18e0d-2035-40b6-a176-8c03967bd2bc
  9. How long can you keep Windows.old?

in Windows 10 Support
    How long can you keep Windows.old?: I upgraded to CU last week and am having a few issues, none of which can't be worked out given some time. However, I've heard that Windows.old only has a shelf-life of 10 days. Is this true? Can I move it to another drive (or rename it) if I decide, after another week or...
  10. How long?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long?: How long can this update take? It's supposed to take 20-60 minutes, and I've heard of people waiting for 24 hours to get it to complete. How long do I wait before I assume it's frozen? 15797