Windows 10: How long will C/C++ programs will be compatible with Windows for?

Discus and support How long will C/C++ programs will be compatible with Windows for? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello. I have a software project based on a game engine written in C/C++, which is based on Windows and designed for Windows. My project is based on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Val So, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Val So Win User

How long will C/C++ programs will be compatible with Windows for?

Hello. I have a software project based on a game engine written in C/C++, which is based on Windows and designed for Windows. My project is based on a 20+ years old game engine, a heavily modified version of Quake 1, known as GoldScr, or Gold Source. More than 20 years later, the software is still fully compatible with Windows, including Windows 10 and 11. However, i'm worried that as Windows progresses and becomes more and more advanced, at some point, the software will become no longer compatible.Could this scenario happen, or will C/C++ programs remain compatible with Windows forever, or at

:)

Val So, Jun 13, 2022

2. C#, difficult to learn?

In colleges, all they teach anymore is VB.NET and the more advanced classes (programming majors) focus on the transition from VB.NET to C#.NET. The transition is virtually painless so that's why they do it (all the .NET libraries are directly compatible). C#.NET is also a good stepping stone to the C++ world of coding although I haven't ventured that far--C# suits me needs.

Yeah, it's mostly sytax differences...but there's a lot of them.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 13, 2022
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Learning to Program C

my suggestion is to learn c first, then expand to c++ or java depending on your project requirements. if you decide to use visual studio (which i strongestly recommend) then you can just create c++ projects and write normal c code

W1zzard, Jun 13, 2022
  4. direct4 Win User

Learning to Program C

C is a foundation language, almost all modern programming languages, including Javascript, Java, and especially C++ are based off of the C syntax. If you learn C, it'll make learning the other languages much easier.

Java is not a language for beginners, so you should learn another language first. C++ is merely an extension to C (in fact, C++ used to be called "C with classes"), so, when you're learning C, you're also learning C++. After you have a firm understanding of C, then you can add to your knowledge and learn the features that make C++ what it is.

If you ever intend to program microcontrollers (IC chips that are sort of like a self-contained computer), mess around with the Linux kernel or modify the majority of the software that drives the internet, or make Carbon applications for Mac OS X, then you'll need to know C.

C also is a faster language than C++, and produces smaller code due to the fact it doesn't have all the extra features such as the vtable for objects and exception handling. It's also an easier language to learn and to read. Also, if you intend to take a compute class at college, they often require you take C first, and then C++ later.

C is very much alive and well.

As for the comment on Java.... don't bother with Java till you learn C and then C++, then your life will be WAY easier. Java is very slow at starting up and currently isn't suitable for use in programs that require speed-- thanks to the garbage collector that allows programmers to be lazy -- which is why Sun is working on an "unsafe" mode for java that throws out the garbage collector, which is the case if you write applications for the Android/G1 and other mobile phones (better get used to proper memory management under C/C++ first before attempting to code in Java for those devices).

I have a tutorial for the C/C++ language that you can get started with:
    Guides:C/C Crash Course - CoderGuide

When the C advanced section is complete (that'll cover advanced things such as rarely used operators, linked lists, vectors, and sparse arrays), I'll start on one for C++. This is also one reason why Linux runs faster than Windows, among many other reasons.

As for only learning C++, the main supporter of that is the guy who created C++. I've read his book, and I, and many other long-time programmers disagree with his position... he also has one hell of an ego.

direct4, Jun 13, 2022
Thema:

1. How long will C/C++ programs will be compatible with Windows for? - Similar Threads - long C++ programs

2. Microsoft C++ programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft C++ programs: I have several Microsoft C++ programs ranging from2008 to 2015-2022. Are they all necessary or are they updates to a single program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-c-programs/e7aaf73c-6d86-4dea-ad18-ce6fe52efcbd
  3. C:\Program...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\Program...: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16005.14326.21480.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxTsr.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cprogram/9cbacec0-d601-4543-886f-c3607d7b5464
  4. C:\Program...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\Program...: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16005.14326.21480.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxTsr.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cprogram/9cbacec0-d601-4543-886f-c3607d7b5464
  5. Are all C/C++ programs compatible with any Windows edition, including Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are all C/C++ programs compatible with any Windows edition, including Windows 11: Are all C/C++ programs compatible with any Windows edition? Is support for C/C++ programs an integral part of Windows operating systems?Are there any C/C++ programs that are not compatible with Windows 11, and Windows in general?I'm asking this question, because i have some...
  6. Are all C/C++ programs compatible with any Windows edition, including Windows 11

Are all C/C++ programs compatible with any Windows edition, including Windows 11: Are all C/C++ programs compatible with any Windows edition? Is support for C/C++ programs an integral part of Windows operating systems?Are there any C/C++ programs that are not compatible with Windows 11, and Windows in general?I'm asking this question, because i have some...
  7. How long will C/C++ programs will be compatible with Windows for?

How long will C/C++ programs will be compatible with Windows for?: Hello. I have a software project based on a game engine written in C/C++, which is based on Windows and designed for Windows. My project is based on a 20+ years old game engine, a heavily modified version of Quake 1, known as GoldScr, or Gold Source. More than 20 years later,...
  8. C:\Program...

C:\Program...: Hi, Uninstall my old SOD2 and installed JE. My Win 10 is fully updated to 1909. But this thing pops up: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Mutable\Microsoft.Dayton_2.384.8...\StateOfDecay2-Win64-Shipping.exe File System Error What can the issue be and how do I fix it? my anti...
  9. Program c in windows.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program c in windows.: Can some files in program c be deleted to free up space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-c-in-windows/1fa979db-6146-4246-ab3a-609a52e9f557"
  10. C: Program

C: Program: Before I start, I'm just a kid. Hi, I'm and needs help from anyone who knows how to help. Screenshot: [img] This started when I deleted a Ad popup on the control panel. I need help on how to fix this, I tried using AVG and CCleaner but nothing happened. 32708