Windows 10: How make Compatibility Mode for apps in Windows 10 appear at will?

Discus and support How make Compatibility Mode for apps in Windows 10 appear at will? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am just now struggling in the learning-curve of migrating from Windows 7 to 10. It can be trying. But on the whole I think I am a new fan. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kokopelli, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Kokopelli Win User

How make Compatibility Mode for apps in Windows 10 appear at will?

I am just now struggling in the learning-curve of migrating from Windows 7 to 10. It can be trying. But on the whole I think I am a new fan.

The issue for this post is how to set compatibility mode for (older) apps in Windows 10. I finally, after a couple of aborted tries had the dialog 'This program may not have installed correctly, use compatibility mode?' appear automatically.

I eagerly pressed 'Yes' and, lo and behold, this time it worked for a dear old program I had used since 1994(!) I was delirious with happiness *Biggrin as well as impressed - I thought backwards compatibility was a deserted concept in Win 10.

However, there was a similar dialog that sometimes, though not always, appeared automatically in Win 7, and I wanted to try and see if I could call up this useful dialog in 10 at will rather than just hoping that it would. So, can I somehow do that?

Thank you.

PS: I use the Anniversary edition

:)

Kokopelli, Aug 28, 2016
  2. David Haz Win User

Maya 2017 won't open after Windows update to 1703

Hi Juan,

It seems that the troubleshooter found that the app is incompatible with Windows 10 Creators Update. However, you may make older programs compatible with that version of Windows.

You may install the program through Compatibility mode, here's how:

• Right-click the program, select Properties, and then select the
      Compatibility tab.
    • Under Compatibility mode, tick the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for:, then select the version of Windows that you know where the program will work.
    If the app is still not launching, we suggest that you check with the software developer's website for the compatibility of the app with Windows 10 Creators Update.

Regards.

David Haz, Aug 28, 2016
  3. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 28, 2016
  4. Kokopelli Win User
    Thank you dalchina. I will check it out at first opportunity! Too busy right now. *Sad It may take 'till tomorrow as there is some time difference between here and where you are and it is approaching bed-time.
    I will report back though.

Kokopelli, Aug 28, 2016
  5. Kokopelli Win User
    Nope, that didn't do it. Thx anyway dalchina.

Kokopelli, Aug 29, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that wasn't a fix- of course- rather a memory jogger- comparison- the question is.. is it one of those you are missing? Or.. can you state more exactly what it is you think you are missing and would like to see?

dalchina, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How make Compatibility Mode for apps in Windows 10 appear at will? - Similar Threads - Compatibility Mode apps

2. Windows 10 s mode compatible app not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 s mode compatible app not working: I just purchased a laptop with windows 10 s mode for the sole purpose of being able to use the Windows desktop application for Descript. I checked before purchasing and saw Descript in what I now realize was the previous version of the MS store. It has a link to get it from...
  3. Windows 10 s mode compatible app not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 s mode compatible app not working: I just purchased a laptop with windows 10 s mode for the sole purpose of being able to use the Windows desktop application for Descript. I checked before purchasing and saw Descript in what I now realize was the previous version of the MS store. It has a link to get it from...
  4. Windows 10 s mode compatible app not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Compatibility Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compatibility Mode in Windows 10: I have been running Windows Live Mail on a Sony Vaio for a good few years, originally on Windows 7 but on Windows 10 for the last 2-3 years. I have now upgraded to a Microsoft Surface Pro and have copied the Windows Live Mail directories but when I try to run it nothing...
  6. windows 10 compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 compatibility mode: [ATTACH] when i go to the properties tab of grand theft auto 3 to try to run it in compatibility mode the option doesn't pop up no compatibility mode submitted by /u/Aidensully_04 [link] [comments]...
  7. how to make older programs compatible with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to make older programs compatible with Windows 10: how to make older programs compatible with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-older-programs-compatible-with-windows/efe4bb25-9944-4160-a905-bb1b763ba9a3
  8. Windows 10 compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 compatibility mode: Does Windows 10 have a compatibility mode to allow older games to be installed and run on a Windows 10 machine? If so, how is it enabled? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compatibility-mode/95d8ebd3-05e0-464d-b3bc-7a97e8503801
  9. How to turn off compatibility mode - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off compatibility mode - Windows 10: Is there a way to turn off compatibility mode or at least prevent the pop-up that appears every time I open programs? The problem started when I was fixing scaling issues....
  10. Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10: How to: Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10 How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10 Most apps created for earlier versions of Windows will work in this version of Windows, but some older apps might run poorly or not at all....