Windows 10: How many NIC cards do you need to setup a DNS server?

Discus and support How many NIC cards do you need to setup a DNS server? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can a DNS server work on single NIC card?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nitinkmr62, Nov 5, 2018.

1. How many NIC cards do you need to setup a DNS server?

Can a DNS server work on single NIC card?

:)

nitinkmr62, Nov 5, 2018

2. Windows 10 - NIC, DNS, Interent Access Problem

ANSWER

Folks,

• when you cannot connect to the network consistently
    • when going to www.bing.com doesn't work and can't resolve (DNS error)
    • when you Reset Windows 10 Pro
    • when you Reset the network interfaces (netsh, etc)
    • when you Re-Install Windows from scratch
    • when you install the NIC drivers
    don't be dumb like me. Just get another network card like I finally did. The network card was bad on the motherboard. I installed a new network card, turned it on, and the network and Internet worked flawlessly. Granted, NICs don't normally go bad.
    But when they do you can really go round and round.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Darryl

Darryl_ACE, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Aquinus Win User
    DNS Servers

I run a DNS server locally, so when a domain is already cached, I get it back almost instantly, otherwise it responds as fast as the first server in my list (75.75.75.75 in my case.)

Aquinus, Nov 5, 2018
  4. LeonLaude Win User

How many NIC cards do you need to setup a DNS server?

DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

How many NIC cards do you need to setup a DNS server?

1. How many NIC cards do you need to setup a DNS server? - Similar Threads - many NIC cards

2. DNS servers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS servers: How to resolve "device or resource DNS server is not responding"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-servers/eae05c07-dbdd-4697-b4d7-32fa54b1a6e5
  3. DNS servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS servers: How to resolve "device or resource DNS server is not responding"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-servers/eae05c07-dbdd-4697-b4d7-32fa54b1a6e5
  4. DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Servers: i cannot connect to the internet even though my laptop tells me i am connected when i try anything it keeps telling me DNS servers not working/connecting. i have tryed hard wire connection still nothing.im on a windows 11 but microsoft updated windows 10 2 days ago and...
  5. DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Servers: i cannot connect to the internet even though my laptop tells me i am connected when i try anything it keeps telling me DNS servers not working/connecting. i have tryed hard wire connection still nothing.im on a windows 11 but microsoft updated windows 10 2 days ago and...
  6. How many KMS keys do you need?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How many KMS keys do you need?: I cannot find the definitive answer to this question anywhere, so I'm going to break down and ask: How many KMS keys do you need. For example, if I want to activate Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2012R2, 2016, 2019, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10, how many KMS keys do I...
  7. How do I setup 2 NIC in WIN10

How do I setup 2 NIC in WIN10: I recently purchased a second NIC with a 550 controller chip for 10G access to my NAS. I have been having problems getting it set up with a manually assigned IP address as opposed to using DHCP since I do not want my desktop to get confused with routing toward the 10G card....
  8. DNS server

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS server: I have internet and can get into everything except Facebook. It keeps coming up with a DNS server problem. Everyone in the building can get on, but me. I have tried everything the internet said to do, to no avail....
  9. DNS Server

DNS Server: I keep being disconnected from the internet. When I troubleshoot I get the message "The DNS server isn't responding" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Moved from: More Office apps / Windows 10 / Unknown/other...
  10. Do you need a graphics card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Do you need a graphics card?: If you only use your computer for Microsoft Office and Internet surfing, do you need a graphics card? I do like having two monitors for working, so right now I have one monitor plugged into a Nvidia 660Ti graphics card and the other plugged into the motherboard for the Intel...