Windows 10: How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation?

Discus and support How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ive checked disk management to see what the partitions should look like. It shows C: NTFS (Primary partition) 930.96GB Disk 0 Partition 1 Recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, May 26, 2017.

1. How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation?

Ive checked disk management to see what the partitions should look like. It shows
    C: NTFS (Primary partition) 930.96GB
    Disk 0 Partition 1 Recovery Partition 450mb
    Disk 0 Partition 2 EFI System Partition 100mb
    This is after my previous Win10 clean installation when I used Rufus. During Setup I deleted all partitions until only Unallocated space was showing. I then clicked Next and allowed Windows to set things up. Is this how things should look?
    I'm going to skip the Third Party Rufus bootable USB Flash Drive creation method and this time I will do the clean installation using a Bootable USB flash drive created using Windows Media Creation Tool only instead.
    I just would like to know how the partitions should look in Disk Management.
    Thanks

:)

sportsfan148, May 26, 2017
  2. Mat-MC Win User

Windows 10 too many partitions (after a clean install)

First a big thank for the quick reply.

This is my problem, that i want to go back to windows 8.1 (after many problems with windows 10) and i want to delete the unnecessary partitions, but dont want to delete the Windows 8.1 recovery partition (and from the disk management i cannot recognise which
    from the 2 RECOVERY is)

Could you please more detailed explain which partitions can i delete and saving the Windows 8,1 recovery partition?

and how i understand is better to install the system in a partition with 100gb and the second with 650 for files and ect. yes?

thank you in advance and with best regards

Matteo

Mat-MC, May 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 too many partitions (after a clean install)

If you do not want to revert to win 8.1 I would do another clean install but first delete off all the above partitions. You have a 17gb OEM (win 8.1) recovery partition that you will not use, plus 4 system partitions, 3 of which you will never use.

To reclaim the HD space I would remove them then re-install win 10

I would also make a smaller OS parition (100Gb) and use the remaining for data, and back ups.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 26, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation?

Brink, May 26, 2017
  5. Hi Brink,
    Is the 16.0 mb MSR reserved Partition hidden in Disk Management View then? That was my reason for asking really..hence my confusion lol
    Could I trouble you mate to take a look at another posting of mine that Ive just posted regarding the Windows Media Creation Tool and USB bootable flash drives. Id really appreciate your opinion if its not too much trouble (Sorry ..I realise its a totally different posting)

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. The MSR partition is hidden, and won't be seen in Disk Management.

It really doesn't matter what USB flash drive you use as long as it's at least 8GB (for 64-bit) to make sure it has plenty of free space. Of course, using USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 will make it faster when connected to a USB 3.0 port on the PC.

Brink, May 26, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    The MSR (Microsoft Reserved) partition will not be shown as allocated and it will not be formatted, therefore it is not shown in Disk Management. However, it is an important system partition on UEFI systems with GPT disk.

8. How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation?

I see you've had to move both of my postings to the correct forum. I'm sorry for that Brink. I'll try to be more careful in future. I read on the net that people have had problems with some Sandisk models (Sandisk Cruzer and Sandisk Extreme were two I definitely saw mentioned and also some other brands) when creating bootable USB flash drives using the Windows Media Creation Tool solely (without third party Rufus). Mine is the Sandisk Ultra and I was trying to find out if this model will work correctly with the Media Creation Tool or not

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No worries.

Normally, you shouldn't have any issue using any USB flash drive. However, I'm sure there may be some that could have some defect that could cause issues.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation?

1. How many partitions are set up with a Windows 10 Clean Installation? - Similar Threads - many partitions are

2. BSOD after many clean installs of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after many clean installs of Windows 10: Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum. I've been having a lot of problems this week after a clean install of windows 10, it seems that the bsods i get are at random no matter what I'm doing in the PC, The codes are...
  3. BSOD after many clean installs of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after many clean installs of Windows 10: Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum. I've been having a lot of problems this week after a clean install of windows 10, it seems that the bsods i get are at random no matter what I'm doing in the PC, The codes are...
  4. BSOD after many clean installs of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Clean Install - Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  6. Clean install, 2 drives, too many partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install, 2 drives, too many partitions: Hello there! So, last time I did this I didnt format or delete anything and apparently thats not the way to do it if you want a clean install. I have 2 drives (1Tb Hd; 256gb Ssd). This is my list: Drive 0 Partition 1: Omen 917gb Primary Drive 0 Partition 2: Recovery 14.1 gb...
  7. Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions

Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions: Hello Two desktop computers each running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried to copy an image of the source C: drive to the target C: drive and ran into issues and, I think, in the process messed up the source drive partition table. So I tried to do a clean install of Windows...
  8. Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue: Hey, here's what went down w/ my laptop: It's a Windows 10 ASUS X540UA-DS51 laptop. The hard drive got corrupted, to the point where it cannot even recognize that there's a C: drive, only the emergency X: drive (I know it's part of the C: drive). And no, I did not back up...
  9. [help with partition] Clean installing windows 10

[help with partition] Clean installing windows 10: Hi I recently upgraded my laptop, specifically "Acer aspire v5-473pg" into windows 10 and now I'm trying to do a clean install. The problem is there's a lot of partition on the partition menu when proceeding into a clean install and I don't know a lot about them. My laptop...
  10. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 set up how many partitions

2. how many primary partitions can you have in window 10 installation media