Windows 10: How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get...

Discus and support How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having major issues with searching files on windows 10. Its bringing back nightmares of vista. I understand how file indexing works and how to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChristinaShonts, May 14, 2020.

1. How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get...

I am having major issues with searching files on windows 10. Its bringing back nightmares of vista. I understand how file indexing works and how to use it. I also know how to specific directories to the index. But it still doesnt work well. So Ive rebuilt the index...and then it breaks again. And that rebuild process takes quite some time especially when your data gets into the terabytes.

Its a bit infuriating. If you are going to take away my windows 7, could you please make sure the basics are fully functional on windows 10 first. And I consider a fully functional file manager the basics.

I will give you some examples of a failure that I find particularly annoying, starting with a simple example

1 Search Location : "D:\# Projects\# geneaology - sort", a sub-directory of an indexed location on an eternal drive

Search String: *.*

Expected Results: every file and folder in that directory and its subdirectory

Actual Results: "No items match your search"

2 I create a new directory, "D:\# Projects\Test-Microsoft-Search" , a sub-directory of an indexed location on an eternal drive

and then I create a new file named "findMe.txt" And then I do a searchSearch Location : "D:\# Projects\Test-Microsoft-Search"

Search String: *.*

Expected Results: findme.txt

So then Im thinking maybe I can find it if i am more specific...

Search String: *.txt

3 So now Im thinking maybe there is a problem with indexing an external drive so I repeat the process on the internal drive that is also the drive that my Windows 10 OS is installed on. And within mydocuments in my user profile directory.

Search Location: "C:\Users\x\Documents\Test-Microsoft-Search"

But I saw the file right there before I did the search

Here are my questions:

1 Am I missing something? Is there a fix I dont know about. I dont want to rebuild my search index every week. How do I make the search work reliably

2 And if it is broken, I would like a message stating that so that I know the search results I have are not reliable. Is there a way to be notified that the search index is broken and my search results arent reliable?

This search indexing takes at least 15% of my computer's resources. Probably more. So how the hell is it so broken? Ive gone back and forth between windows and Linux over the years. Ive been with windows for a while now. Is it time to go back? Or is there a fix for the complete failure of a file manager in windows 10? Im hoping there is a fix. Please tell me there is.

:)

ChristinaShonts, May 14, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 14, 2020
  3. Index search in File Explorer

Hello,

I suggest you to try the below step to see if it resolves the issue.

If the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the
    Start button
    and then clicking Control Panel. In the
    search box
    , type indexing options, and then click
    Indexing Options

2. Click Advanced. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the
    Index Settings tab
    , and then click Rebuild. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/search-file-explorer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-windows-searches-using-index-faq#1TC=windows-7.

Hope this helps to resolve the issue. Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, May 14, 2020
  4. How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get...

Windows Search - Indexed Locations wrong

Kindly check the troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1:

• Right-click D: drive on File Explorer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click General tab.
    • Check if Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties has a check on it.
    Method 2:

• Type Indexing Options in the search bar.
    • Click Indexing Options.
    • On the pop-up window, click Advanced.
    • On Index Settings tab, under Troubleshooting, click
      Rebuild.
    • A pop-up saying Rebuilding the index might take a long time to complete. Some views and search results might be incomplete until rebuilding is finished will appear.
    • Click OK, and Rebuild will be in progress.
    • When Rebuild is finished, click Close, and
      reboot
      your PC.
    Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, May 14, 2020
Thema:

How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get...

1. How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get... - Similar Threads - many times need

2. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  3. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  4. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  5. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  6. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results: So, in Windows File Explorer I went to View/Options/Change folder and search options then clicked Restore Defaults on all three tabs: General, view, and search because of a whole other issue that I fixed later and has nothing to do with my current issue.BUT by clicking...
  8. How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you find that search results are missing, no longer valid, or incorrect, then […] This article How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Windows searching through file explorer not working and search index rebuilding...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows searching through file explorer not working and search index rebuilding...: This issue has been plaguing me for over a year now and I can't seem to find a working solution. Before this problem occurred, I was able to search for my files/documents through the search bar in a file explorer window like any normal person. After noticing some of my newer...
  10. Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 How to Reset and Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in...