Windows 10: How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM?

Discus and support How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 running in a VM and if I attempt to assign more than 1 virtual core to the VM I get a "multiprocessor configuration not supported"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by NavyLCDR, May 28, 2020.

1. NavyLCDR Win User

How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM?

I have Windows 10 running in a VM and if I attempt to assign more than 1 virtual core to the VM I get a "multiprocessor configuration not supported" error when Windows starts up. Here's this history:

The host was an AMD Phenom II X3 720 APU running on an ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB 3 motherboard. The host OS is FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD, and the VM hypervisor is bhyve. Under that system, I could run multiple virtual cores just fine with no issues.

Then I upgraded to an AMD FX-8370 CPU on the same motherboard and added an outdated PCIE video card to the same motherboard. (Don't ask me specs for the video card, I'd have to remove it and look.) FreeNAS identifies the new CPU correctly. But now I can only assign 1 virtual CPU to the VM Windows 10 runs in.

My biggest question is, does it really matter how many virtual CPUs are assigned just to run Windows 10 in a VM for no other real reason than Insider testing?

:)

NavyLCDR, May 28, 2020
  2. Cliff S Win User

I use 4 virtual cores for all my VMs

How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM? [​IMG]

proof for Insider VM

Cliff S, May 28, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User

I have Windows 10 running in a VM and if I attempt to assign more than 1 virtual core to the VM I get a "multiprocessor configuration not supported" error when Windows starts up. Here's this history:

The host was an AMD Phenom II X3 720 APU running on an ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB 3 motherboard. The host OS is FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD, and the VM hypervisor is bhyve. Under that system, I could run multiple virtual cores just fine with no issues.

Then I upgraded to an AMD FX-8370 CPU on the same motherboard and added an outdated PCIE video card to the same motherboard. (Don't ask me specs for the video card, I'd have to remove it and look.) FreeNAS identifies the new CPU correctly. But now I can only assign 1 virtual CPU to the VM Windows 10 runs in.

My biggest question is, does it really matter how many virtual CPUs are assigned just to run Windows 10 in a VM for no other real reason than Insider testing?

NavyLCDR, May 28, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Thank you. Yes I did load BIOS defaults and there is one setting for Virtualization in this BIOS and it is enabled. I disabled it and the VM would not start at all. It's just weird because multi-cores was working with the Penom II processor but now I can only run single core with Windows in the VM. Linux Mint still runs with multi-core in a VM.

NavyLCDR, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM? - Similar Threads - many virtual cores

2. Virtualization based on core i7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualization based on core i7: A Dell Latitude laptop with an Intel Core i7 processor runs Microsoft Windows 10 and Microsoft Windows 11 side by side.The laptop came installed with Windows 10.There is no known installation of a hypervisor before the Windows 11 was installed.Is this an example or...
  3. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor: I have a server computer with a Intel Xeon w-1290p server processor & was looking to buy windows 2019 server os. However, i am unclear how many core licenses would be needed for my 10 core / 20 thread processor. Any help with this would be appreciated. ps: is a server os...
  4. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor: I have a server computer with a Intel Xeon w-1290p server processor & was looking to buy windows 2019 server os. However, i am unclear how many core licenses would be needed for my 10 core / 20 thread processor. Any help with this would be appreciated. ps: is a server os...
  5. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need?

in Windows 10 News
    What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need?: CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the most important part of a computer. All the calculations needed to run a particular task or application on a computer are processed by the CPU. That’s why it is also called the brain of the computer. Basically, a CPU is of the following two...
  7. I need a virtual mouse with driver for Windows 10 on a VM.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need a virtual mouse with driver for Windows 10 on a VM.: A reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/jhatpq/windows_10_on_proxmox_for_gaming_mouse/ The setup: I run Win10 in a VM on Proxmox, connected Moonlight with Nvidia Gamecast (it works good actually) my only problem, in games sensitivity of mouse is just spinning...
  8. Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-virtual-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557
  9. Just How Many Cores, for gaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just How Many Cores, for gaming?: In this months Maximum PC magazine they ran an article which calls into question whether the old adage that a gaming PC needs a Core i5 minimum. The theory has been that you need at least 4 cores and anything less powerful and you will be in a world of hurt as far as frame...
  10. Quad Core Host -- should I assign 2 cores to a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Quad Core Host -- should I assign 2 cores to a VM: Hi there I can't quite work out whether I should assign 2 cores out of a 4 core processor (AMD OPTERON X3421 APU} to a VM running a fairly intensive DB system (MiniSAP or SAP ABAP 7.50 minisap) which has to run on a Linux machine - so I've got it on a Centos VM. This...