Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Discus and support How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; How Microsoft's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading Last week, Microsoft altered the GWX prompt, as ZDNet covered. On the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, May 22, 2016.

1. davidhk Win User

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30734...upgrading.html

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]
    Tip How to Remove 'Get Windows 10' Icon from Taskbar in Windows 7 and 8.1

Enable or Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows Update for Windows 7 and 8.1

davidhk, May 22, 2016
  2. davidhk Win User

I wonder if that is true.
    Trust but verify ?

:)

davidhk, May 22, 2016
  3. GD10000 Win User
    Forced Windows 10 upgraded

Microsoft snuck in the Windows 10 upgrade this week. Just noticed it when the 'updated now or delay' question is a constant pop-up. I never requested this upgrade yet; i was considering an upgrade but my girlfriend has endured numerous problems, including
    having to create a new login account, so I'm avoiding the upgrade for now. To keep this from happening in the future, I've unfortunately had to stop the auto upgrade feature so MSFT won't 'accidentally' add this back to the recommended updates.

Now, how to i get rid of this pop?

GD10000, May 22, 2016
  4. DanShea Win User

Can't open Word or PP documents after Windows 10 upgrade

First VERY FRUSTRATED Msft is requiring me to sign in to get help...I have 4 users on the computer and want to use everything local, not logged on to an internet account.

After Windows 10, if I open Work (2010, 2013 or O365 Version), I'm prompted with the error, same with all office programs. These all worked fine before the upgrade.

Once the error pops up, I can't get to File / Options / Trust Center.

Any idea's...

It will be fun to watch MSFT crash as people realize how intrusive the new software is, crashing machines with mandatory updates, and breaking older software that they didn't have permission to touch.

DanShea, May 22, 2016
  5. kkehoe Win User
    My neighbor runs a small business with 2 PCs, one Windows 7, the other Windows 8. He closed up shop last Thursday night and when he opened up on Friday morning, his 8 machine was 10! *Mad I know everybody's going to say "the user must have clicked..." but I believe him because the place was closed. At least he was able to roll back successfully.

kkehoe, May 22, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    What I want to know is if the following claim can be confirmed by actual users ..............
    The redesigned GWX pop-up now treats exiting the window as consent for the Windows 10 upgrade.
    Yes, I have read the feedback part at the end of the article.

davidhk, May 22, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Berton, May 22, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Holy MacApple !

davidhk, May 22, 2016
  9. I've been tempted to install Windows 7 on my spare tower and test it out myself. My backs been really sore lately so I put it off. I'd have to connect a monitor keyboard mouse etc, and find a space for it under my desk. I may have a go at it tomorrow. I'll have to do a clean install of Windows 7 and see what happens.

alphanumeric, May 22, 2016
  10. I just installed Windows 7 on my spare tower. Made sure it was activated. Left Windows update at the defaults. Turned off hibernation/sleep and set it to auto log me in on a start up/reboot. Now to see what happens when I leave it running overnight. Only other changes I made was to set the correct Country and Time zone etc. The usual stuff everybody changes. I'll have another look see tomorrow morning some time.

alphanumeric, May 22, 2016
  11. Adalwar Win User
    Adalwar, May 22, 2016
  12. meebers Win User
    If I read you right, you did a clean install.....from your original CD Win7 non sp1?? My install is original from 2009, I need to do it..I think.

meebers, May 23, 2016
  13. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

David, I've read posts on three forums from people insisting that they never authorized a Windows 10 upgrade, and yet they got one.

Somehow, some way, MS is upgrading computers without the owners' permission.

Vince Massi, May 23, 2016
  14. This is Tricky:

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]
    *Eek

Cluster Head, May 23, 2016
  15. DooGie Win User
    *Roflmao2

You may get some people worried there CH

DooGie, May 23, 2016
Thema:

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading - Similar Threads - MSFT's tricky pop

2. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  3. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  4. Tricky one!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tricky one!: Problem: Hello, this is an easy question. Yesterday i logged in on my windows with my microsoft account and i though that if i log in using microsoft i will get all the services e.g. Cortona, xbox, Office demo ETC. but i didn't get anything. Do i need something?...
  5. New Pop UP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Pop UP: Since the last update, there is a new pop-up that keeps occurring when I use an older Microsoft program. The message is as follows: Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? The name of the app is cag.exe. Which is an older...
  6. how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?: How do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-eliminate-ad-pop-ups-in-ms-windows-10/640877ff-29fd-4b4c-87fd-45f2a1293a43"
  7. New pop up

in Browsers and Email
    New pop up: I always got this with IE since I installed MBAE, now its working with Edge browser [img] 31263
  8. How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up

in Browsers and Email
    How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up: AccuWeather.com has started using a pop-up: "[number] pages viewed, but no ads in sight… Please allow ads to display for AccuWeather.com, and help us keep our weather news free." I use FireFox Quantum (Vers. 58) with AdBlock Plus. I have tried several add-ons from...
  9. Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\: A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the action center. There is no...
  10. New Pop-UP

in Windows 10 Support
    New Pop-UP: My tablet is an Acer Aspire, Switch 11 with W10. Recently, when the unit is idle for 30-40 seconds the screen goes black and this message appears in white lettering: "There are no pictures in C:\Users\EA\Dropbox\Documents\PhtoAztec" I've tried taking a screen shot to...