Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Discus and support How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Wonder if these guys will fall for it? [img] *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, May 22, 2016.

1. CarlSD Win User

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Wonder if these guys will fall for it?

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]

*Smile

CarlSD, May 23, 2016

2. By George, that does leave you with some confusing choices.

Vince Massi, May 23, 2016
  3. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]

COMPUTIAC Guest, May 23, 2016
  4. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

MSDN ISO with SP1 included.

I left my Windows 7 PC on all night after the clean install. Just had a look. It hasn't done a Windows update yet. It was set to do an auto at 3 AM. Every time I open Windows update in control panel it just says "checking for updates". Last update "never" last check for updates "never". I guess that relates to the other reported issue of Windows update for Windows 7 being broken? It's been on for over 12 hours. In the past it would have started doing auto updates in the first hour of use. I'll just have to let it run some more I guess. I probably should have manually downloaded the latest service release aka SP2, and installed it manually.

alphanumeric, May 23, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    As far as I know, for Win 7 there is only one service pack released and that is ................SP1.

davidhk, May 23, 2016
  6. There is a convenience rollup that was just released that some are calling SP2, its not really but its as close as we'll likely get to one. I downloaded and ran it over an hour ago. It's still showing "searching for updates on this computer". *Rolleyes
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...aspx?q=3125574

Now it just showed a "this update is not applicable to this computer" message? I downloaded the correct one so I have no idea what's up with that. This could take days the way Windows update is currently running?

7. I question the whole thread(don't want to drift this off topic-apologies).
    I posted a somewhat similar thread in April which was deleted later on.I am not questioning the admins and the poster but if these types of threads aren't allowed then this also should be deleted.
    My participation in Tenforums is decreasing day by day due to this attitude

Sumit Dhiman, May 23, 2016
  8. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

This is a very recent change though? This is new info.

9. davidhk Win User
    I am speculating only as I don't remember your deleted posting.................
    Is it possible that the reason was due to the compliances ( or lack of it ) with Windows News posting guidelines ?
    https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-...uidelines.html

davidhk, May 23, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't know what you posted or why it would have been deleted but if you do have questions I would ask a mod or an administrator like John. It's better than taking a thread off track, IMO.

As far as I can tell your thread is perfectly fine and some good information.
    Thanks for sharing
    Jeff

BunnyJ, May 23, 2016
  11. Alpha, I'm not clear on whether you did a clean install of 7 or 10. However, I have noticed that MS waits about two days after 10 is installed to begin updates. I can't confirm that, but various posters on different forums are reporting update problems two days after they install 10.

Vince Massi, May 23, 2016
  12. waltc Win User
    Various posters on various forums "report" lots of things...doesn't mean any of them are true...*Wink I can't understand the angst. Started installing Win10 on Oct 1 2014...four months later made it my primary OS and reclaimed my former Win8 dual-boot drive and have never looked back, nor had any desire to do so. (I got off Win7 in January '13.) But, then, I use only desktops and don't do laptops, ever, anymore. Maybe if I did I'd have a different view of Win10...who knows? People with laptops who know what they are doing often tell me that Win10 presents no problems for them, either...People have sure looked this particular gift horse in the mouth, haven't they?...*Wink

waltc, May 23, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

FWIW.. I can understand how some can get upset over this. If I didn't want 10 and MS just pushed an upgrade I would be rather upset over that. What MS should be doing is allowing people to totally opt out of the upgrade so this doesn't become an issue. But this will/should be a non issue on 7/29 when MS drops the free upgrade offer. At that stage the forced upgrades will stop.

BunnyJ, May 23, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then people will wake up with Windows 10 installed "mysteriously" on their computers and there will be a nag screen to pay to activate it. ;-)

NavyLCDR, May 23, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
Thema:

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading - Similar Threads - MSFT's tricky pop

2. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  3. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  4. Tricky one!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tricky one!: Problem: Hello, this is an easy question. Yesterday i logged in on my windows with my microsoft account and i though that if i log in using microsoft i will get all the services e.g. Cortona, xbox, Office demo ETC. but i didn't get anything. Do i need something?...
  5. New Pop UP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Pop UP: Since the last update, there is a new pop-up that keeps occurring when I use an older Microsoft program. The message is as follows: Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? The name of the app is cag.exe. Which is an older...
  6. how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?: How do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-eliminate-ad-pop-ups-in-ms-windows-10/640877ff-29fd-4b4c-87fd-45f2a1293a43"
  7. New pop up

in Browsers and Email
    New pop up: I always got this with IE since I installed MBAE, now its working with Edge browser [img] 31263
  8. How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up

in Browsers and Email
    How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up: AccuWeather.com has started using a pop-up: "[number] pages viewed, but no ads in sight… Please allow ads to display for AccuWeather.com, and help us keep our weather news free." I use FireFox Quantum (Vers. 58) with AdBlock Plus. I have tried several add-ons from...
  9. Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\: A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the action center. There is no...
  10. New Pop-UP

in Windows 10 Support
    New Pop-UP: My tablet is an Acer Aspire, Switch 11 with W10. Recently, when the unit is idle for 30-40 seconds the screen goes black and this message appears in white lettering: "There are no pictures in C:\Users\EA\Dropbox\Documents\PhtoAztec" I've tried taking a screen shot to...