Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Discus and support How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; My neighbor runs a small business with 2 PCs, one Windows 7, the other Windows 8. He closed up shop last Thursday night and when he opened up on Friday... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, May 22, 2016.

1. magilla Win User

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

A good friend of mine had a similar experience. His PC was updated to win 10 from 7. He has some programs that will not run on 10. Upon following instructions, his machine failed to restore to 7 and now he has the added expense of trying to resuscitate his computer. He thought he had a backup via seagate auto backup program which had failed. We tried to rewrite master boot record. The menu worked but attempting to go to win 7 kept crashing. So MS, shame on you.

magilla, May 23, 2016
  2. Adalwar Win User

I think what MS is doing is nothing else than a big ABUSE!
    Alone that I can not disable the Updates in Windows 10, is an ABUSE! I have another PC with 8.1 and I can not , and I will not , update after 15.12.2015. With the updates after it, there are serious and massive BSOD that make my entire partitions corrupt and lose more than 8h to fix it. I am very happy that I can STOP the updates on win 8.1. That is the reality, if something goes worng with the updates at the end you get an corrupted system.
    What I think is that the Old Crew at MS went in Retire and the guys now are young people that are Lunatic. Or, as nowdays everything is made in China may be MS went that path also and there we have it.

Adalwar, May 23, 2016
  3. I clean installed Windows 7 with SP1. I wanted to see first hand if this sneak upgrade actually happens. My Windows 7 install will not update via Windows update. It just sits on checking for updates. It's been about 24 hours and its still checking? In the past it would start doing updates in the background in the first hour of use. While I would be changing settings. I'd do a reboot and get the do not urn off your PC message. Windows update for Windows 7 is royally screwed up. I'm just about to throw in the towel and start over with Windows 8.1. I am seriously thinking about resigning from the MVP program. This is not the Microsoft I want to be associated with. *Mad

alphanumeric, May 23, 2016
  4. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

TairikuOkami, May 23, 2016
  5. Talking to somebody on the Microsoft Yammer group, they report that there is no Red X to click? Your only options are to do it now or schedule when to do it. I suggested setting the date for 10 years from now. *Wink

6. magilla Win User
    see senior editor's article in PCWorld online of 5/22 describing his wife's situation with update she didn't want.

magilla, May 23, 2016
  7. AnEdge Win User
    Silly question maybe, but have you tried running the windows update trouble shooter? had the same problem last year in a 7 machine, ran the trouble shooter and it immediately started updating.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...troubleshooter

AnEdge, May 23, 2016
  8. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Waltc, I agree with you about 10 being the best OS. MY three laptops haven´t given me a shred of trouble after upgrading to 10. My Windows 7 desktop (on which I play high-end games) has given me a little trouble, but nothing that I couldn't quickly fix.

But too many people, on too many forums, are complaining that they suddenly found themselves the proud owners of a Windows 10 upgrade, insisting that they never agreed to it.

My dear wifeypoo, who plays high-tech games on her Windows 7 machine next to me, refuses to upgrade. Why is she using 7? Because when I bought her a new rig, I refused to buy her the one she wanted, that had XP as the operating system. She's happy, 7 runs well, no big deal.

Vince Massi, May 23, 2016
  9. Won't run? When I click the blue "Windows Update Troubleshooter" nothing happens. I ran a fix It earlier but it made no difference.

10. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, May 24, 2016
  11. DooGie Win User
    DooGie, May 24, 2016
  12. I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 Went through the account setup etc, and did the first reboot. I saw a applying updates message and the very first screen on that very first reboot is a big blue "Microsoft Recommends Upgrading to Windows 10" message. My only options are Do it latter, which is sort of hidden down to one corner in regular text. or Upgrade which is in a box on bright text. No Red X.

I clicked the Do it latter and got a "Decline the free offer (not recommended) screen which states that "We will download Windows 10 in the background so you can install it latter at a time that's best for you. it also states that this upgrade is free.

I did that (declined) and it immediately took me to my desktop. There is no GWX icon in the notifications area? I haven't run Windows update yet.

Looking at the update history I see
    KB3000850 11/21/2014
    KB3072318 5/24/2016
    kB3020370 5/24/2016

It appears it was the second one, https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/3072318
    This update is for Windows 8.1 out-of-box experience (OOBE). This update lets you start an immediate free upgrade to Windows 10 during the Windows 8.1 OOBE process. This update applies only to the Windows 8.1 OOBE process. It is available only when the OOBE updates are installed.

alphanumeric, May 24, 2016
  13. Geneo Win User

That happened to me too.

Geneo, May 24, 2016
  14. It's a big issue, from what I'm seeing on support forums. Some think it's deliberate, some think its just a side effect of moving some of the band width to supply updates for Windows 10. For me it never got past the "Checking for updates". If it was a bandwidth issue I would have expected the slowdown to happen on the actual download of the updates. I never got that far. It's been quit a while since I ran Windows 7. I don't remember it ever even being remotely close to this slow doing updates. Even on the first run?

Anyway, I ditched it and swapped in a new install of 8.1. As I posted above, I hadn't even logged in for the first time when I got prompted to upgrade to Windows 10. It would appear, Requardless of what ISO you use, Microsoft can change the Out Of the Box Experience at will. Unless you install with no Internet connection. That complicates things for me. If I do it that way I can't verify my Microsoft ID or sync the saved instance for that PC. You won't activate either. Sooner or latter your going to have to connect anyway. Well most of us will.

alphanumeric, May 24, 2016
  15. CarlSD Win User
    I'm just wondering - where are people getting this 'pop-up' from?

Is it coming from a recently downloaded Windows Update? Or, is it coming from somewhere else?

Just asking because I've never seen it. But, I also did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional recently and all I have installed after SP1 is security updates. No 'Optional' or 'Recommended' updates.

I also don't use Internet Explorer - I 'removed' IE8 from Programs and Features prior to going online and I don't get offered any updates (IE11 or security updates) for IE at all. So, I didn't get the Windows 10 'ad' that was included in a recent IE11 security update either.

Oh, I did install Windows Update Agent 7.6 and update KB3102810 offline first which caused Windows Update to find the 200+ post SP1 updates in a matter of minutes rather than hours.

I also have used GWX Control Panel, Never10 and Spybot Anti-Beacon just to be on the safe side and I also run Windows 7 from a Standard User account for normal day to day use.

I have Windows Update set to 'Check for updates but let me choose...' and it can only install updates from an Administrator account.

CarlSD, May 24, 2016
Thema:

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading - Similar Threads - MSFT's tricky pop

2. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  3. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  4. Tricky one!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tricky one!: Problem: Hello, this is an easy question. Yesterday i logged in on my windows with my microsoft account and i though that if i log in using microsoft i will get all the services e.g. Cortona, xbox, Office demo ETC. but i didn't get anything. Do i need something?...
  5. New Pop UP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Pop UP: Since the last update, there is a new pop-up that keeps occurring when I use an older Microsoft program. The message is as follows: Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? The name of the app is cag.exe. Which is an older...
  6. how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?: How do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-eliminate-ad-pop-ups-in-ms-windows-10/640877ff-29fd-4b4c-87fd-45f2a1293a43"
  7. New pop up

in Browsers and Email
    New pop up: I always got this with IE since I installed MBAE, now its working with Edge browser [img] 31263
  8. How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up

in Browsers and Email
    How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up: AccuWeather.com has started using a pop-up: "[number] pages viewed, but no ads in sight… Please allow ads to display for AccuWeather.com, and help us keep our weather news free." I use FireFox Quantum (Vers. 58) with AdBlock Plus. I have tried several add-ons from...
  9. Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\: A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the action center. There is no...
  10. New Pop-UP

in Windows 10 Support
    New Pop-UP: My tablet is an Acer Aspire, Switch 11 with W10. Recently, when the unit is idle for 30-40 seconds the screen goes black and this message appears in white lettering: "There are no pictures in C:\Users\EA\Dropbox\Documents\PhtoAztec" I've tried taking a screen shot to...