Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Discus and support How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; What do we have here? GWX 2.0? *Wink Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] It's also piracy proof. Good job Microsoft. *Biggrin Tweet —... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, May 22, 2016.

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

What do we have here? GWX 2.0? *Wink
    Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

It's also piracy proof. Good job Microsoft. *Biggrin

Cluster Head, May 24, 2016

2. Everything I posted here I also posted on the private Microsoft MVP Yammer network. There is a big long discussion going on there. Nothing official from Microsoft other than "we are aware of your concerns" though. Even if they said something I couldn't repeat it here, what is said in that yammer group is all under the NDA. I made it known I'm non to pleased with what's going on though. I'm just a small fish in a big sea though, not sure it will have much of an impact.

alphanumeric, May 24, 2016
  3. magilla Win User
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Enough small fish can have an impact on the flow of the 'stream' .

magilla, May 24, 2016
  4. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

I did another check for updates and when it finished the message in the box changed to "Your upgrade to Windows 10 Ready, You need to restart your PC to begin the free upgrade." The only option in the box is Restart Now. There is no install updates option anywhere on that screen. Any guess as to what will happen it I click that Restart now? I clicked the Red X and closed Windows update. Then did a restart via the power button on the start screen. It did the window updates and left me on Windows 8.1. I bet it would have been a totally different out come if I had clicked the Restart Now in the box on the Windows update screen. I'm tempted to start over and do some screen shots. I just don't think to do it at the moment, I'm more worried about clicking the wrong button.

5. davidhk Win User
    The gambling side of me is saying..................... within 2 days your 8.1 will metamorphose into Win 10 without your input.

davidhk, May 24, 2016
  6. IMHO, all the GUI's have been socially engineered to trick you into clicking the wrong button. On the Windows update screen for sure. I have to very carefully think about every button I click. And there is no, STOP Asking Me button. All you can do is delay it until next time. *Devil

7. groze Win User
    groze, May 24, 2016
  8. pcgeek11 Win User

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Who cares. It says it is scheduled to Upgrade on Day, Date and Time.... Unless you cancel or change it. Nothing is sneaky. Reading is hard.

pcgeek11, May 25, 2016
  9. I started over and took screen shoots. This screen came up on my first boot to my desktop, well just before it. Right after it said setting things up.. installing your Apps etc.

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]

No red X, only options are Do it latter or Upgrade. I clicked Do it latter and this screen came up.

Still no red X, only option is OK. I clicked that and ended up on my desktop in Windows 8.1.

Then I opened Windows update.

After running Windows update I got the upgrade to Windows 10 Window. Other than the Get Started, the only other option is to click the RED X. There is no install button on that screen.

alphanumeric, May 25, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Could you click on Decline?

Winuser, May 25, 2016
  11. Weird things were happening while I was posting my screen shots into my post. I had to edit it. The Decline the offer (not recommended) in the screen shot is not clickable. I'm pretty sure it wasn't? I'm starting to second guess myself? I'm pretty sure I tried to click it the first time through and it did nothing. That's what your doing when you click OK though. I'm going to add a few more in a bit.

I had to double check so I restarted from the beginning. The Decline the offer (not recommended) in the screen shot is clickable. Sorry for the error. Nothing changed doing it though? I ended up with the same screens in Windows update that I had before. Exactly the same.

12. Clicking the "Show all updates" under the Upgrade to Windows 10 box in Windows update got me this.

Upgrade to Windows 10 is the only one check marked by default. I unchecked it, selected all the other ones and then clicked the install button in the lower right corner. This is the only screen with an actual install button.

That PC is in the process of doing all those updates. Once that's done. I open Windows update again and try to get a screen shoot of the second Windows 10 install message I posted earlier. It might be a while, there were 200 plus updates.

13. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Have a look at the screen shots I just posted and tell me that's not sneaky?

14. DooGie Win User
    Worse than sneaky. For a company the size of Microsoft it's just totally unproffesional.

The sort of thing you might expect from a site trying to push malware to you.

DooGie, May 25, 2016
  15. I had to double check so I restarted from the beginning. The Decline the offer (not recommended) in the screen shot is clickable. Sorry for the error. Nothing changed doing it though? I ended up with the same screens in Windows update that I had before. Exactly the same. I'm going to take a break from it tonight. I'll post another screen shot or two tomorrow.

Thema:

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading - Similar Threads - MSFT's tricky pop

2. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  3. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  4. Tricky one!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tricky one!: Problem: Hello, this is an easy question. Yesterday i logged in on my windows with my microsoft account and i though that if i log in using microsoft i will get all the services e.g. Cortona, xbox, Office demo ETC. but i didn't get anything. Do i need something?...
  5. New Pop UP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Pop UP: Since the last update, there is a new pop-up that keeps occurring when I use an older Microsoft program. The message is as follows: Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? The name of the app is cag.exe. Which is an older...
  6. how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?: How do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-eliminate-ad-pop-ups-in-ms-windows-10/640877ff-29fd-4b4c-87fd-45f2a1293a43"
  7. New pop up

in Browsers and Email
    New pop up: I always got this with IE since I installed MBAE, now its working with Edge browser [img] 31263
  8. How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up

in Browsers and Email
    How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up: AccuWeather.com has started using a pop-up: "[number] pages viewed, but no ads in sight… Please allow ads to display for AccuWeather.com, and help us keep our weather news free." I use FireFox Quantum (Vers. 58) with AdBlock Plus. I have tried several add-ons from...
  9. Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\: A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the action center. There is no...
  10. New Pop-UP

in Windows 10 Support
    New Pop-UP: My tablet is an Acer Aspire, Switch 11 with W10. Recently, when the unit is idle for 30-40 seconds the screen goes black and this message appears in white lettering: "There are no pictures in C:\Users\EA\Dropbox\Documents\PhtoAztec" I've tried taking a screen shot to...