Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Discus and support How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I ran Windows update several more times and the "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is Ready," message I saw before hasn't come back. The GWX App Icon is in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, May 22, 2016.

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

I ran Windows update several more times and the "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is Ready," message I saw before hasn't come back. The GWX App Icon is in the notifications area though. That's the first time I've seen that. It appears if you click the "Decline the free offer (not recommended)" option on the second OOBE added screen you get the GWX App installed. If you click "OK" you get the "Your upgrade to Windows 10 Ready," message in Windows update? If you look at those two OOBE screen shots I posted you will see, what they want you to click clearly looks like a click button. It's boxed and highlighted. The option they don't want you to use just looks like a text message. It's not obvious it's clickable until you mouse over it.

Windows 10 hasn't installed all on its own, not yet anyway. Now that the GWX App has installed itself, I'm just going to leave it running and see what happens. I will say this though, make one slip up during the install, and or checking for updates and welcome to Windows 10. You have to go out of your way and do things differently or it will install.

alphanumeric, May 25, 2016
  2. davidhk Win User

Thanks for the follow-up.

And we expect the "normal" users to know how to do that to prevent the upgrade ?

By the way, I felt compelled to add this comment which is NOT directed at alphanumeric...................
    The majority of "normal" users are NOT stupid.
    They are just not computer-trained as some of the expert members in these forums. Their lives are not centered around computers.
    I have an alumni who is a retired professor. She is totally computer illiterate. Her defense ........ there was no computer class in college back then.
    I also have an alumni who is a Math professor. He was the Head of the Math Dept until he retired. He is computer incompetent. Go figure.
    They are not stupid by any stretch of imagination.

davidhk, May 25, 2016
  3. Microsoft won't back down from Windows 10 nagware 'trick'
    Redmond assumes closing nagware dialog means 'yes', says that's by design

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]

Read more: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05...upgrade_trick/

Cluster Head, May 25, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Business and Ethics are oxymoron.

davidhk, May 25, 2016
  5. Look at the last screen shot I posted here, How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading That was the screen I got after running Windows update manually. It did the normal checking for updates, then that. What would you do? What would you click to actually install the updates it found? Normally it would say install updates.

In answer to your question, No. I think a lot of people will trip up and end up with an unwanted upgrade.

On that Windows update screen if you click "show all updates" this is what you will see.

How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading [​IMG]

Upgrade to Windows 10 is the only one check marked. I had to uncheck it and checkmark all the other manually. Then click the install button in the lower right hand corner. There is no install button on the main screen. The only option is "get started" Guess what happens if you click that?

6. zooburner Win User
    zooburner, May 25, 2016
  7. groze Win User
    @alphanumeric

So, if you click the x thinking you are cancelling the upgrade, does it still show the EULA when it starts to install? If not, that could be an issue with U.S. state's contract laws and possible the FTC. Contract laws very by state. I am not an attorney this is just my opinion.

groze, May 25, 2016
  8. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

I haven't gotten the GWX popup this thread is talking about yet. All the screens I got so far are from an OOBE update/change. It was something unexpected and on topic so I posted it. My original intent was to see the GWX App first hand for myself. I'm just waiting for that screen to pop up. I'll post back when it does.
    For the Windows update screen I posted, clicking the red X just closes the Window. Nothing happened when I did that. Opening Windows update again after that just opened back to where it was when I closed it. If I did nothing and waited long enough, windows update started installing the 8.1 updates all on its own. It did its normal thing. The upgrade to Windows 10 message went away and the progress showed.

9. davidhk Win User
    Have you folks done any googling this past 2 days ?
    There are pages and pages of this alleged Microsoft "trick".
    I feel sorry for the Win 7 and 8 users.

davidhk, May 25, 2016
  10. This OOBE patch that I was presented with is even worse IMHO. I didn't even get to log in for the first time before the prompts to upgrade started. There are quit a few MVP's, like me, up in arms about it. It seems to be falling on deaf ears though.

11. Clam Win User
    I don't get it? What's the problem here?

Just below the date it says: "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade". I'm referring to screenshot Cluster Head posted & zooburner quoted on 4th page.

Computer was clearly set to update on May 16th, so if you click on X, you took NO action to change that. Nothing, you just closed the window. It's not enabling update, update has already been scheduled somehow (that part is interesting, but I'm pretty sure user already clicked something before that). I was on Windows 7 for a while and I never had any issues with MS forcing update on me..

It just looks like people are out for blood without even realizing there are options... same with alpha doing all that testing - first thing I saw on those screenshots was DECLINE option. Come on...

12. groze Win User
    That because previously you had to click the "X" to cancel the upgrade and there was not a link to "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade"

groze, May 26, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

That's not a big enough difference to get all worked up about, IMO. It's really the same thing just a different action/location to press a button/link to get the same result., MS is allowed to change how the popup looks I think.

BunnyJ, May 26, 2016
  14. pcgeek11 Win User
    Reading all that stuff is so hard...

This is much ado about nothing.

Meh :\

pcgeek11, May 26, 2016
  15. Winuser Win User
    The problem is that you shouldn't have to click on anything to cancel the upgrade. You should only have to click on a link if you want to upgrade. In the screenshot your talking about what happens if you didn't see that box or you was to busy and didn't read it? You wind up with a upgrade you didn't ask for or want. Time for the free upgrade is coming to a end soon and MS is trying their best to trick the people who don't want to upgrade to upgrade anyhow.

Winuser, May 26, 2016
Thema:

1. How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading - Similar Threads - MSFT's tricky pop

2. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  3. Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pop up You need to activate this copy: This seems to be a common problem from what I've read. I get a message pop up every few days You are using an unactivated copy of windows - you need to activate. So I go to System Update and Security and Activation and Troubleshoot and it says Troubleshooting This copy of...
  4. Tricky one!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tricky one!: Problem: Hello, this is an easy question. Yesterday i logged in on my windows with my microsoft account and i though that if i log in using microsoft i will get all the services e.g. Cortona, xbox, Office demo ETC. but i didn't get anything. Do i need something?...
  5. New Pop UP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Pop UP: Since the last update, there is a new pop-up that keeps occurring when I use an older Microsoft program. The message is as follows: Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? The name of the app is cag.exe. Which is an older...
  6. how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10?: How do you eliminate ad pop ups in MS windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-eliminate-ad-pop-ups-in-ms-windows-10/640877ff-29fd-4b4c-87fd-45f2a1293a43"
  7. New pop up

in Browsers and Email
    New pop up: I always got this with IE since I installed MBAE, now its working with Edge browser [img] 31263
  8. How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up

in Browsers and Email
    How to block the new AccuWeather.com pop-up: AccuWeather.com has started using a pop-up: "[number] pages viewed, but no ads in sight… Please allow ads to display for AccuWeather.com, and help us keep our weather news free." I use FireFox Quantum (Vers. 58) with AdBlock Plus. I have tried several add-ons from...
  9. Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Cryptic message pops-up: msft virtual scsi mounted to F:\: A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the action center. There is no...
  10. New Pop-UP

in Windows 10 Support
    New Pop-UP: My tablet is an Acer Aspire, Switch 11 with W10. Recently, when the unit is idle for 30-40 seconds the screen goes black and this message appears in white lettering: "There are no pictures in C:\Users\EA\Dropbox\Documents\PhtoAztec" I've tried taking a screen shot to...