Windows 10: How much more disk space does the Anniversary Update use up?

Discus and support How much more disk space does the Anniversary Update use up? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am not talking about how much temporary space it needs to install (That's a separate issue and I will need to add a flash drive for that). I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pjc123, Nov 10, 2016.

1. pjc123 Win User

How much more disk space does the Anniversary Update use up?

I am not talking about how much temporary space it needs to install (That's a separate issue and I will need to add a flash drive for that). I need to know approximately how much more (or less, or the same) space it is going to use up after the install. My Win 10 laptop only has 3GB of space left on its small 32GB eMMC drive (Win 10 Operating System - C: Drive). That is after cleaning up everything possible, and almost all applications installed on a separate 32GB SD card (Applications - D: Drive).

:)

pjc123, Nov 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 Creators Update for systems with less than 8 gigs of free hard drive space

Dhavelyn

I read all of the references to your response. However, the Creators update does not provide the ability to use a USB or SD with 16 gigs as an alternative to more disk drive space. The Anniversary version did allow for this. But the Creators version does
    not. In talking to Microsoft, they said you have to free up disk drive space. I don't know why an alternative drive would be acceptable for the Anniversary version but not the Creators version. Do you have any updated articles about how to do this after
    Microsoft released the Creators version?

RonSperling, Nov 10, 2016
  3. Extend C drive Size

I am using windows 10. Recently anniversary update requires more disk space. How can I remove 10 GB space from D to C drive.

IrfanMunir, Nov 10, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

From what I read you need at least 6-8 GB of space to accommodate a minimal Win10 install. Here's an interesting Windows Report story on this very subject: How to install the Anniversary Update on 32GB devices
    64 GB SD cards are cheap now. Could you give yourself some more breathing room that way instead?
    HTH,
    ---Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 10, 2016
  5. pjc123 Win User
    I already have win 10 installed, and I am only talking about how much extra space will be taken up AFTER the Anniversary Update is installed, not temporary space required DURING the update. Anyway, that eMMC storage is a soldered in IC chip and is not upgradable, so that is not an option.

pjc123, Nov 11, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for your clarification and explanation. According to various sources, the on-disk footprint for Windows 10 versions is about 9 GB for x86 (32-bit) and 10 GB for 64-bit. To the best of my recollection there is about a 1 - 1.5 GB increase over the original 1507 release from July 29, 2015. I don't know where the 1511 release fits on that spectrum, but surely it falls within the range of 7.5-9 GB for x86 and 8.5 - 10 GB for x64. That said, actual on-disk size for Windows also depends on whether or not it's an upgrade or a clean install. These numbers apply only to clean installs. If you're upgrading, you will need to add a minimum 6 GB or so to account for larger WinSxS and Installer folders.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: I wasn't advocating that you change your EMMc knowing full-well such devices are soldered and not replaceable. I was talking about your Secure Digital memory card (as I see I said) and asking you to contemplate replacing your current 32 GB SD card with a 64 GB SD card. Sorry if that was insufficiently clear.

PPS: here's one source that addresses disk footprint and DVD footprint for Win10: How big is Windows 10, size on disk after install on an partition?.

EdTittel, Nov 11, 2016
  7. With no pagefile, no hiberantion file, no apps store installed and everything cleaned, I get this:

Run WC.bat as admin in order to clean more.

TairikuOkami, Nov 11, 2016
  8. pjc123 Win User

Yes, what I am really looking for is someone to keep track of their before and after disk size as part of the update process going from 1511. I am sure it is not exactly the same for everyone, but a ballpark would work. It would be nice if Microsoft documented this...maybe they did, but I just couldn't find it.

pjc123, Nov 11, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    I think we're trying, Pjc123, knowing your situation requires minimum footprint. Looking through my backups for several machines, I see an increase of about 900 MB on my x64 machines for the on-disk footprint, across the board, going from 1511 to 1607. I don't run any 32-bit/x86 machines so I have no data to offer for that side of the distribution. My Dell Venue Pro 11 tablet has always had the smallest footprint (it runs the Insider Preview Version 1607 Build 14965 right now) and its current Windows footprint is 17.3 GB.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 11, 2016
  10. pjc123 Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to look that up; that really helps, and tells me it is do-able on my machine. I am also on x64.

@TairikuOkami. I disabled hibernation, but with only 2gb of ram (Not upgradable either) I don't dare disable the pagefile.

Things I do to regularly to keep the size down:
    1) Run disk cleanup including system files.
    2) Run CCleaner.
    3) Delete %TEMP% files.
    4) Delete Windows/Temp files.
    5) Run a search and check for HUGE size files I may have forgot about that I downloaded.

One time things I have done:
    1) Disabled hibernation.
    2) Reduce the size of the System Recovery space.
    3) Deleted the swsetup files. (Actually moved them to the D: drive).
    4) Use the web to access most of my Google Drive files so they are not synced to the disk (Huge space saver).

Things I still can do as a last resort
    1) I still have a couple disk intensive apps on the C: drive because it is faster than the SD card (Nortons, Malwarebytes and a couple of browsers) that I can move to the SD card if I have to. Maybe a gigs worth.

pjc123, Nov 11, 2016
  11. TairikuOkami, Nov 11, 2016
  12. pjc123 Win User
    So, just reporting back. I did the Anniversary Update yesterday and gained 1 GB of space after cleaning everything up (Actually closer to 2 GB because I added some more programs and files), so it worked out well. Thanks for the posts in this thread to insure that the update would not wipe out all my space. I used an external hard drive to perform the update because it would not run with only 3 GB of space on my eMMC drive. The update allowed me to pick the external drive (An older version of the Anniversary Update did not give this option) and everything went OK until later on during the update when it stated once again it needed more space for the update. I selected the external drive, but this time it did not accept it, and also would not accept the SD card (I don't remember how much space it needed the first time, but this time it needed 14 GB of space to continue with the update}. So out of ideas I figured I would reboot and see what happens. That fixed the problem and the update used the external drive and continued without any more problems. It took like a half a day on my slow machine to complete the update process. Everything worked fine afterwards except for LibreOffice, which I discovered a bizarre fix after playing around with it for two days (Can't say for sure it was related to the update or not).

Yah. Now that I am done I can finally I can go back to Linux on my Desktop computer and Raspberry Pi !!!

pjc123, Nov 29, 2016
  13. Mooly Win User

I clean installed W10 back at the start of August and I suspect I'm around 3 to 4 Gb worse off through updates in that time. I do regularly run a full disk clean (system files option). No 3rd party cleanup tools in use.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How much more disk space does the Anniversary Update use up? - Similar Threads - much more disk

2. How to use compact.exe to free up disk space on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to use compact.exe to free up disk space on Windows: Microsoft introduced new options for the command line tool compact.exe in the Windows 10 operating system. It allows users to compress folders on the system using new algorithms to free up disk space. Unlike many other compression solutions, compact promises to have little...
  3. Disk Clean-up Doesn't Free as Much Space as it Says

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Clean-up Doesn't Free as Much Space as it Says: I ran Disk Clean-Up which said it could free up around 5.8GB if I agreed to delete Windows Update leftovers. I agreed and it churned for a while then said it was done. I checked free space on C: and found it had freed up...around 1GB! Has anyone else noticed this sort of...
  4. more disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    more disk space: Can I buy more disk space and will i be allowed to download apps or programs with this additional disk space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-disk-space/fb4a9a17-795e-4755-8ad0-5f45200a0250
  5. System files on Windows are using too much disk space!!

System files on Windows are using too much disk space!!: I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro, and I have a near 120 GB in total disk space capacity, but I am currently down to less than 1 GB of storage space. My windows system files seem to be using too much space. I have tried disk clean-up and have deleted all my restore...
  6. How to free up more space?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to free up more space?: How to free up more space? Free up some space by going to Settings > System > Storage > click on Free up space now? I do not have Free up space now, Does anyone know where/how to free up space? Please adise, Thanks, Lostintrama...
  7. More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation

More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation: Hi, When I purchased a Windows 10 laptop. I believe it was Windows 10 1809 version in the laptop. C Drive size is 100GB. That time, free space was between 50-55GB. Since that day I didn’t install additional application in the laptop. Now it’s upgraded to Windows 10 2004...
  8. Update asking for more disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update asking for more disk space: While updating to latest version through update tool, it asked me to connect external drive since my drive is out of space. This happened to me on last update as well....
  9. Windows 10 taking up too much disk space

Windows 10 taking up too much disk space: My disk is heavily occupied by Windows and its auxiliary files. Of my 150GB Bootcamp Windows partition, about 55% is taken by Windows and most of it by Installer. I've already run Disk Clean and Wise Cleaner and still am left with only 17GB available. Component Store...
  10. Hard Disk (C:/) Takes Up Too Much Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Disk (C:/) Takes Up Too Much Space: Hey Guys, So I have a 200 GB Hard Drive on my computer. A couple of days ago I got a notification mentioning there was not ten GB of space left. I was surprised, but I assumed I just had more on it than I thought. However, since then I have re-installed Windows for my own...