Windows 10: How much RAM does your PC really need?

Discus and support How much RAM does your PC really need? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Is there a case for more than 8GB of RAM? Sure there is, but the bang for the buck trails off. Here is a definitive guide to how much RAM your PCs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 4, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

How much RAM does your PC really need?

Read more: How much RAM does your PC really need? | ZDNet

:)

Brink, May 4, 2016
  2. sosul Win User

N72 Upgrade software not working

How much RAM does your PC have?

sosul, May 4, 2016
  3. Symbian^3 on 5530

@tahvo-how much ram does your pc have?

romperompe, May 4, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I always felt that for most users 4gb was the sweet spot and for users that did a lot of multitasking and need a bit more performance then 8gb is the sweet spot. I have 8gb and I'm happy with it.

For graphic work or CAD work.. I would get 32Gb.

BunnyJ, May 4, 2016
  5. Faith Win User
    As a PC gamer I would put 8GB as the minimum and 16GB as safe. I have seen plenty of games recently pushing and even surpassing 6GB of RAM usage.

Faith, May 4, 2016
  6. I have an odd case where using more RAM on an x64 system actually benefits my audio editor (even though it's and x86 application)

I first noticed this when I switched from XP over to XP x64. When I opened a large wave file in RAM, I originally could only open about 1:30 (hh/mm) in length, but on an x64 system, I could manage to open a two hour file. All I can muster as a guess is that the application gets access to an entire four-gigabyte memory block on an x64, whereas on a 32-bit system, that address space is shared with the OS and hardware region just below the 4 GB boundary. But whatever the reason, the benefit has been real.

What about CAD design software takes 32 GB? I was actually curious (I really didn't know why it consumes so much)
    *Smile

Jody Thornton, May 4, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    From what I read the min is 8Gb but I would go for as much as possible. 16-32Gb would be best.

BunnyJ, May 4, 2016
  8. DooGie Win User

Modern CAD software is generally 2D drawings from which you can create 3D models. Rendering these can use a hell of a lot of RAM to do this in a short timespan.

DooGie, May 4, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    CAD/CAM both can use up enormous resources, particularly when rendering

dencal, May 5, 2016
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Because I run up to three VMs at a time it is nice having 32 gigs of memory. . . *really

11. I think 8GB RAM should be standard for all computers. Operating systems and programs today use more resources than ever.

I ordered a workstation with 32GB RAM. I need it for CAD/CAM. It probably is enough but I may bump it to 64GB because why not? *Biggrin

z31fanatic, May 5, 2016
  12. vgchat Win User
    Having a bit extra ram never hurts. In 2013, i got 16GB of ram to help "future proof" it. With games edging up on 6+GB of ram usage I may have to double up to 32 or even 64GB of ram in 2-3 years lol, in that time they'll probably eat up 12GB or more of my ram.

vgchat, May 5, 2016
  13. arachnaut Win User

I use a lot of large music sample libraries for sound design. I find 16 GB to be very nice. I never felt that I needed more than that.

arachnaut, May 5, 2016
  14. John035 Win User
    I use up 16 gigs of RAM every day.

John035, May 5, 2016
  15. msny Win User
    I'm a business developer programmer, 16gb is my minimum.

Thema:

1. How much RAM does your PC really need? - Similar Threads - much RAM does

2. Does it really need a fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does it really need a fix?: It is very likely that this post might not even b seen by the general public, and if it did, then it will probably be removed very quickly, because I am very blunt and to the poin. Windows is becomeing USELESS! Even this online form does not support my screen reader for the...
  3. Does it really need a fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does it really need a fix?: It is very likely that this post might not even b seen by the general public, and if it did, then it will probably be removed very quickly, because I am very blunt and to the poin. Windows is becomeing USELESS! Even this online form does not support my screen reader for the...
  4. Does it really need a fix?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Any way to limit how much RAM does WSA uses?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to limit how much RAM does WSA uses?: Any way to limit the amount of RAM that WSA uses? Just like the WSL's `.wslconfig` file.I doesn't mean to bypass the restrictions to run WSA on low RAM machines....
  6. I really need your help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really need your help.: So, I simply cannot access the Windows Update Update tab and when I look at it from the main settings tab it's all greyed out. What I suspect is, I had ransomware, so I did a reset, but my PC sometimes still acts like it has security issues. (Can't access stuff until I change...
  7. how much ram does 1gb of storage with ready boost add to your computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how much ram does 1gb of storage with ready boost add to your computer: i have a 16gb stick of storage and was wondering how much ram does it actually add because i noticed that when i have it in my compter is slower but can support loads of tabs without closing them does someone know thanks!...
  8. How much memory does Windows 10 need?

How much memory does Windows 10 need?: I just started using Windows 10 and find it's super slow. I have a newly assembled computer but only four gigs of memory. I'm getting the impression I should upgrade to eight. Does Windows 10 just need eight gigs memory as a minimum?...
  9. How much memory does Windows 10 need?

How much memory does Windows 10 need?: I bought this netbook with win10 fitted and it is crap, everything takes forever to load especially Facebook. I've been told 2gb is not enough to run efficiently is this true? It is not upgradable so before I throw it out of the window (ah now I see why they chose that for a...
  10. I really need your help!

in Windows 10 Support
    I really need your help!: I ve just moved to a new place and I have no internet cable yet so now I have to use my father in law's wifi connection. He has a pretty big and powerful router with a strong signal. The problem is that the router started to crash after I connected my computer. I can use the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how much memory does windows 10 need