Windows 10: How often does Windows 10 flush the disk cache?

Discus and support How often does Windows 10 flush the disk cache? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; 2 issues: It's my belief that the timing of the buffer flush is independent of whether it's a hard drive or SSD? Correct? Second, and this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Old_Computer_Guy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. How often does Windows 10 flush the disk cache?

2 issues:

It's my belief that the timing of the buffer flush is independent of whether it's a hard drive or SSD? Correct?

Second, and this is basically in response to "answers" I saw on a question almost exactly like mine here on this forum from quite some time back.

They were:

"When it needs to."

and

"Don't worry about it."

However, Windows Internals, if I remember correctly, says that 1/8th of the yet-unwritten pages to the drive were written out per second.

So including other factors such as the drive being busy for several seconds, and other, more technical reasons, that it's pretty safe to assume that 20 or 30 seconds is more than enough time for an 8 or 16MB disk cache to write out to the drive?

Of course all this becomes a question when a person wants to bump up performance a little by turning off write-cache buffer flushing. There's the warning that a sudden power outage can cause lost data but I would have to insist that a sudden power outage can cause way more lost data than an un-flushed drive buffer.

A program without auto-save could potentially lose a whole day's work, for example.

So in summary the questions are whether hard drive and SSD buffer flushing is essentially the same and whether anyone has reasonable numbers, through experience or a cited reference, about the time between a file appearing to have been written out and it actually being written out.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

:)

Old_Computer_Guy, Apr 15, 2019

2. Manually Flush memory cache ?

Anyone familiar on how to manually flush memory cache and buffers as mentioned here but this method does not work on Windows10 ?

JerometheGiraff, Apr 15, 2019
  3. aliceell Win User
    aliceell, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Toddwmac Win User

How often does Windows 10 flush the disk cache?

How do I flush the contact resolver cache?

The Mail client resolves email addresses using the wrong contact name. I put in the email address and the friendly name is wrong. I've removed all related contacts from my People database and am pretty confident that is the CACHE (It auto completes to
    the wrong name as well)

How do I flush the contact resolver cache?

***Moved thread from Skype to Windows.

Toddwmac, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

How often does Windows 10 flush the disk cache?

1. How often does Windows 10 flush the disk cache? - Similar Threads - often does flush

2. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  3. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  4. Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?: Does the buffer cache for the Hypervisor need flushing on a standalone pc running Windows 11 Pro with virtualization based security turned on. I observed the following in an Event Log entry: "Hypervisor configured mitigations for CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126,...
  5. Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?: Does the buffer cache for the Hypervisor need flushing on a standalone pc running Windows 11 Pro with virtualization based security turned on. I observed the following in an Event Log entry: "Hypervisor configured mitigations for CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126,...
  6. Shortcut to flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to flush DNS Cache: I am trying to create a shortcut to flush my DNS cache to avoid having to open the command prompt and enter the ipconfig command each time. I have seen two methods to supposedly do this. In the first method, I create a batch file with the ipconfig.exe /flushdns command, save...
  7. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  8. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  9. Manually Flush memory cache ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Manually Flush memory cache ?: Anyone familiar on how to manually flush memory cache and buffers as mentioned here but this method does not work on Windows10 ? 54064
  10. Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10: How to: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 How to Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 [img] Information A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 flush disk cache

2. how often is dns cache flushed

3. turn off windows write-cache buffer flushing SSD

4. how often does dns flush