Windows 10: how often should i use de-fragmentation?

Discus and support how often should i use de-fragmentation? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; how to use de-fragmentation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tedkelley, Jul 10, 2019.

1. tedkelley Win User

how often should i use de-fragmentation?

how to use de-fragmentation

:)

tedkelley, Jul 10, 2019

2. Windows Partition Not Properly Fragmenting, Status Stuck At 12% Fragmented Needs Optimisation, Windows 10 Home

Hi Daanisch,

The above issue might occur due to corrupt files, folders, or bad sectors or if programs running in the background is accessing the hard drive on the computer.

Close all the program that is currently running on the computer and optimize the drive to check if the issue is resolved.

To close the programs currently running on the computer, follow the steps below:

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Task Manager from the context menu.

• Click on the program and select
      End task on the window.

• Close after all the programs are closed and run disk fragment to check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of disk fragment stopping at 12%-13% on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 10, 2019
  3. Recovery drive D:  41% fragmented

It is a system drive which doesn't affect your performance as no read-write is performed on it. So I suggest you not to fragment it.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 10, 2019
  4. how often should i use de-fragmentation?

SYSTEM - Hard Disk Drive Heavily Fragmented

I have a Drive named "SYSTEM" known under Media type as a Hard disk drive. It is 67% fragmented every time it is analyzed. I click on optimize and it goes through the process very quickly like 3 seconds and then says the drive is 33% fragmented. If
    I select analyze again it reverts back to 67% fragmented immediately. I've tried two 3rd party Defrag applications and both do not list the drive SYSTEM. Is this problem permanent and the only fix requires a new hard drive?

ArmandAustin, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

how often should i use de-fragmentation?

1. how often should i use de-fragmentation? - Similar Threads - often should fragmentation

2. How often should Registry.Pol be updating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How often should Registry.Pol be updating?: Can someone please explain why and how often Registry.Pol should be updating? From other forums I've seen, that file should have current modified dates every day. In my environment, every Registry.Pol file is at least 6 months old and in the file, it starts with "PReg" which...
  3. How often should Registry.Pol be updating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How often should Registry.Pol be updating?: Can someone please explain why and how often Registry.Pol should be updating? From other forums I've seen, that file should have current modified dates every day. In my environment, every Registry.Pol file is at least 6 months old and in the file, it starts with "PReg" which...
  4. How often should Registry.Pol be updating?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How often should I hard reset a device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How often should I hard reset a device?: After a while of using devices, they slow down, I know that.I rarely do a full reset on any device, only if I begin noticing bigger problems like the performance being a lot slower than it should be.How often should I do a full reset as a safe practice?This this question also...
  6. How often should I hard reset a device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How often should I hard reset a device?: After a while of using devices, they slow down, I know that.I rarely do a full reset on any device, only if I begin noticing bigger problems like the performance being a lot slower than it should be.How often should I do a full reset as a safe practice?This this question also...
  7. Fragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fragmentation: Don't know why this happens. It happens with memory hungry programmes tho.. I do know how to defragment both Registry and Pagefile. However, I don't understand how a sluggish or unresponsive app can produce fragmentation in pagefile, for a start. Sometimes it's Chrome...
  8. How often should I run System File Checker (sfc scannow) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How often should I run System File Checker (sfc scannow) ?: Hi guys, How often should System File Checker (sfc scannow) be run? Im curious how others use SFC. Do you run SFC directly before performing a System Backup with Macrium or any other backup software? also.... Do you run SFC before creating a System Restore Point? Is it...
  9. How often should I create a system image? Backup files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How often should I create a system image? Backup files?: I have a windows 10 pro with the newest 1809 version. After some trouble with my PC I had no choice but to reset everything and in doing so lost everything. Now, starting all over; I want to make sure I don't repeat those same mistakes of not being prepared. I started up the...
  10. How often should I defragment my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How often should I defragment my hard drive?: I hear that defragmenting shortens the life span of a hard drive. Is this true? Also, how often should I defrag? Windows has schedules for weekly and monthly optimizations, which is better? Or should I just manually perform it whenever defragmentation reaches a certain...