Windows 10: how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim

Discus and support how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; how often should my ssd be optimized with trim I have a ssd and a 2nd standard 7200 rpm hd. Now I defrag the hhd but and optimize the ssd. will this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by martyr, Oct 11, 2019.

1. martyr Win User

how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim

how often should my ssd be optimized with trim I have a ssd and a 2nd standard 7200 rpm hd. Now I defrag the hhd but and optimize the ssd. will this optimization with trim hurt the ssd How different is optimization with trim on ssd vs defrag the 7200 hd

:)

martyr, Oct 11, 2019

2. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Optimization for HDD is only defragmentation, optimization for SSD may be TRIMming or defragmentation if SSD is too fragmented.

One may say TRIM is OS dependent because there must be someone to send SSD information about file deleting. So, e.g. Windows XP does not support TRIM and one have to install additional programs for TRIM functionality.

Garbage collection is SSD internal mechanism, it works much better if SSD gets TRIM information.

To determine does TRIM works or no there are some third party programs. But please note, even if SSD have got TRIM information this does nor mean it will use it immediately. It may delay it for sometime even for day or more if it have a lot to do due to garbage
    collection.

Igor Leyko, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

As I understand, optimization is either defrag (HD) or trim (SSD), depending on the disk type. And if I understand Trim, it does not operate independently of the O/S; garbage collection is done sporadically without assist of the O/S, but Trim must be operated
    through the O/S. And, again, if I understand, Trim and garbage collection are not the same thing. If Trim was not able to be scheduled or if Trim did not need to be scheduled, then Microsoft would not have included it in their Optimization Center for SSDs.
    But Microsoft did include it, and appears to not be running it for SSDs even when included in a schedule.

I was asking why this was so, and if there was a solution to it.

As Microsoft appears to have no solution, I will look for a third-party Trim that can be scheduled outside of the Optimization Center.

Thx. ITG

ITgreybeard, Oct 11, 2019
  4. S_and_S Win User

WIN10 TRIM for SSDs

In Windows 10, the TRIM command is executed whenever Windows 'optimizes' the SSD. No need to do this on your own.

S_and_S, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

1. how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim - Similar Threads - often should ssd

2. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?OS WINDOWS 11...
  3. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?...
  4. Should I trim my ssd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I trim my ssd?: Should I trim my ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-trim-my-ssd/0898d751-6e4a-4fa1-8601-ea358aa1b52e
  5. Should I trim my ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I trim my ssd?: Should I trim my ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-trim-my-ssd/0898d751-6e4a-4fa1-8601-ea358aa1b52e
  6. Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM: I have a factory installed SSD and also a second 7200 rpm HDD. The factory default setting SATA mode for BIOS/UEFI storage controller is RAID instead of AHCI. To enable TRIM, it would require the RAID configuration to be changed to AHCI. What looks strange after running...
  7. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  8. SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.: Hey guys, So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also...
  9. SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.: Hey guys, So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also...
  10. SSD Trim Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Trim Question: Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first...