Windows 10: How OneDrive backs up library folders like Documents

Discus and support How OneDrive backs up library folders like Documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just activated OneDrive on my Windows 10 1803 laptop. The main reason I am interested is the new feature that allows one to backup key library... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by marklang, Jun 18, 2019.

1. marklang Win User

How OneDrive backs up library folders like Documents

I just activated OneDrive on my Windows 10 1803 laptop. The main reason I am interested is the new feature that allows one to backup key library folders such as Documents. However, I am trying to determine if, in selecting that option, will OneDrive then move the Documents folder under the OneDrive folder, or will it sync in place. I currently have my standard Documents and Pictures folders on a separate data disk D:. I set up OneDrive there, also, based on a note I saw that the folders must be on the same drive. However, I don't want to move my Documents directory as it has about 35,000 files in it, and I regularly back it up locally using Retrospect. If I move the folder, I will have to reconfigure Retrospect, and it will probably see 35,000 new files and back them all up again. Not to mention that I don't want to access and use those folders locally through OneDrive.

It would seem that the "feature" in OneDrive to backup those library files is not really a feature if it does move the folder. It is rather a user interface change that moves the folder for you. However, I am not confident as I cannot find any mention of this in the Microsoft help and documentation.

Thanks for any input.

:)

marklang, Jun 18, 2019
  2. Bertilak Win User

Documents folder shows both in and out of OneDrive folder, as well as in a "library"

Why does file explorer show my Documents folder both in OneDrive (where it really exists) and in my home folder (where it does not really exist)? And what is this library thing that also has a redundant way of accessing the Documents folder?

In other words,

1. if I go to C:\Users\<myname> there is no Documents folder, BUT
    2. if click on my home directory icon on the desktop it DOES show me a Documents folder, an apparent conflict with number 1.
    3. If I look at Libraries I see a Documents Library that contains the same Documents folder, an apparent redundancy.
    This folder is actually in (and only in) my OneDrive folder. If I put a file in any of those places it shows up in all places, so it's really all the same place.

Are there multiple, unrelated, concepts conspiring to obfuscate things to the point where I might inadvertently delete something I shouldn't?

Bertilak, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Document Library hijacked by OneDrive after update

This issue may be due to an incorrect location target. To correct this, kindly follow these steps:

• Right click the Documents folder where OneDrive files are showing.
    • Select Properties, and then Location. Yours might look like this:
      C:\Users\Your username\OneDrive\Documents.
    • If this is the case, you will need to create a new folder, select all the OneDrive files in the
      Documents folder, and then change its location to transfer it to the created folder.
    • After emptying the Documents folder, right click it and change the location to:
      C:\Users\Your username\Documents.

Feel free to post back should you need any help with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Jun 18, 2019
  4. HairyFool Win User

Library Folders and Onedrive

Keith

I have now done the Location Move on the folders affected

One change has shown up. Previously even though a Folder location was changed the original folder remained, you suggested deleting it after removing it from the Library. In the past I have left it where it was to allow programs that refer to the Documents
    folder via the UNC path to still have somewhere to drop files.

However after the move I found the Library now only had one path listed (in OneDrive) and it had been removed from the original location. So the result is as you suggested but I didn't have to do it.

I know there was an issue with build 1809 deleting files when it removed the folder (there were none in mine anyway) but this computer is build 1803.

HairyFool, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

1. How OneDrive backs up library folders like Documents - Similar Threads - OneDrive backs library

2. OneDrive is not backing up the Desktop and Document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive is not backing up the Desktop and Document: I just fresh installed Windows 11 Pro and did not login to my Microsoft account at first. I used a local account instead. After first boot and installing some drivers from windows update, I switched from local account to Microsoft account. Then I couldn't find the "Important...
  3. OneDrive is not backing up the Desktop and Document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive is not backing up the Desktop and Document: I just fresh installed Windows 11 Pro and did not login to my Microsoft account at first. I used a local account instead. After first boot and installing some drivers from windows update, I switched from local account to Microsoft account. Then I couldn't find the "Important...
  4. documents don't back up to onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    documents don't back up to onedrive: Can you add only a shortcut of a folder to a library? How I can add many folders to alibrary, where should the folder be located?I always saved my files to documents before, documents file have some important files that prevent the document system folder from backing up to...
  5. documents don't back up to onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    documents don't back up to onedrive: Can you add only a shortcut of a folder to a library? How I can add many folders to alibrary, where should the folder be located?I always saved my files to documents before, documents file have some important files that prevent the document system folder from backing up to...
  6. documents don't back up to onedrive

7. Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive

Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive: There is a problem with my folders in the documents. I think that the issue is something like some folders are located in documents instead of local disc. I can't back up documents to onedrive because of important folders. Where can I relocate those folders? What kind of...
  8. Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive: There is a problem with my folders in the documents. I think that the issue is something like some folders are located in documents instead of local disc. I can't back up documents to onedrive because of important folders. Where can I relocate those folders? What kind of...
  9. Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive

10. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

Backing up the OneDrive folder...: Hello guys, I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem: My OneDrive folder is about 800 GB in size, but most of them are only placeholder files on my device online-only files for which a placeholder has been...