Windows 10: How prevent autorenaming of USB stick ?

Discus and support How prevent autorenaming of USB stick ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A permanently connected USB stick which I lettered as A:\ in Disk Management, shows there with the name I originally gave it in File Explorer, but in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephPHILIPPA, Jan 16, 2020.

1. How prevent autorenaming of USB stick ?

A permanently connected USB stick which I lettered as A:\ in Disk Management, shows there with the name I originally gave it in File Explorer, but in File Explorer, it now shows 'Floppy Disc Drive' and reverts to that even when I change the name. How can I restore my ability to EFFECTIVELY rename that USB stick ?

:)

JosephPHILIPPA, Jan 16, 2020

2. Preventing 'System Volume Information' forming on USB sticks in W10

I can delete those folders, but the Registry and Policy methods suggested by a Google search for PREVENTING their formation do not work, so is there another effective way ? I want to emphasize that I want the prevention working for USB sticks - NOT USB Hard Drives.

Sebastian42, Jan 16, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 16, 2020
  4. How prevent autorenaming of USB stick ?

USB stick problem

I can't guarantee that it is the exact reason why your USB stick is having problem but that's one of the reasons why this issue happens. I suggest to always use the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" option in your system tray before unplugging your
    USB stick or any external drives. This issue happens to me in the past due to removing my external drive improperly and it cost me lot of time and effort to get it back up and running so by ejecting it properly might prevent the issue from happening.

Since the issue follows your USB stick on another computer, then the problem is from the USB stick itself and not the computer.

There are some ways to recover your files but that involves a 3rd-party program which is mostly paid application, but still it is not a guarantee that it will be able to retrieve your files. If the files are not that important, i suggest to continue with formatting
    your USB stick. If the issue stills occurs even after formatting, then most probably your USB stick is already faulty.

I hope these information helps.

Reinald T., Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

How prevent autorenaming of USB stick ?

1. How prevent autorenaming of USB stick ? - Similar Threads - prevent autorenaming USB

2. How to fix the letter of a USB stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix the letter of a USB stick: Hello,I have one USB stick A, which I always use and I need to fix the letter of it.So, I did as:Inserted the USB A into my Windows 11 computer;Started the disk manager;Right-clicked the USB A and chose Change Drive Letter and Path for I: ;I hoped the USB A 's letter to be...
  3. How to fix the letter of a USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix the letter of a USB stick: Hello,I have one USB stick A, which I always use and I need to fix the letter of it.So, I did as:Inserted the USB A into my Windows 11 computer;Started the disk manager;Right-clicked the USB A and chose Change Drive Letter and Path for I: ;I hoped the USB A 's letter to be...
  4. usb stick abnormalities

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb stick abnormalities: I have 2 usb connected to pc.I checked and see both chdsks are ok.One 7gig FAT usb Active ,primary partitionSandisk 8 gig FAT usb primary partitionso my question is -why is the sandisk 8 gig -not Active ??? I tried changing the usbs in their socket- same reading just...
  5. USB stick infected?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB stick infected?: Hello ten community, When i connected my USB stick on PC ( windows LTSC v.1809) got such weird folders. please see attached screenshot. I had it formatted before and nowhere connected till today. whats that? p.s. is any solutions to avoid PC infections from USB? when i...
  6. How install windows10 on a usb stick ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How install windows10 on a usb stick ?: Hi, I'd like to install windows10 on a usb stick. If I boot from the installation media the windows installer doesn't see any usb stick, the the discs. How can I install windows to a usb stick ? submitted by /u/belibelibelib [link] [comments]...
  7. USB stick prevents boot since update to 1903 - and slowwwwwww performa

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB stick prevents boot since update to 1903 - and slowwwwwww performa: Hi out there, Surprise, surprise! Since (painfully) updating to 1903: several new problems. Two of the main ones: When having any USB stick plugged in, boot is halted almost after startup. Unplugging the stick(s) and hitting Enter resumes boot. Plugging USB stick(s) back...
  8. Preventing the use of unauthorised USB sticks

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Preventing the use of unauthorised USB sticks: Is it possible to restrict the USB ports so that they will only allow authorised USB drives to be used? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preventing-the-use-of-unauthorised-usb-sticks/a50cebba-1dec-43d1-9623-9cb7e79ecb82"
  9. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  10. Preventing 'System Volume Information' forming on USB sticks in W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing 'System Volume Information' forming on USB sticks in W10: I can delete those folders, but the Registry and Policy methods suggested by a Google search for PREVENTING their formation do not work, so is there another effective way ? I want to emphasize that I want the prevention working for USB sticks - NOT USB Hard Drives. 110851