Windows 10: How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space?

Discus and support How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hard Drive Sentinel has flagged a drive in a storage space as having 10% bad sectors, and estimated to fail soon. When I go into Storage Space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 56Kruiser, Feb 5, 2019.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space?

Hard Drive Sentinel has flagged a drive in a storage space as having 10% bad sectors, and estimated to fail soon.

When I go into Storage Space Management, I do not see the optin to remove the drive.

Is there a way to remove and replace it or do I have to wait for it to fail?

How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space? [​IMG]

:)

56Kruiser, Feb 5, 2019
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

333t, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

Hi Mark,

The November 2015 Update added some nice features to Storage Spaces. But it is two steps forward and one step back. The new Optimize feature does not work with Parity volumes. If you try to Optimize a Parity volume, you get stuck in an endless loop. Worse
    yet, when you add a drive to the Storage Spaces pool, there is a default box checked to optimize your Storage Spaces drives. It does not look to see if you have a Parity volume on your Storage Spaces pool, so if you do not notice that box and manually uncheck
    it, it will add the new drive and try to optimize all your volumes on your Storage Spaces pool. When it gets to the Parity volume - you get stuck in an endless loop again.

The only way I recovered from the endless loop on trying to optimize a Parity volume was to crash the entire Storage Spaces. I disconnected ALL my drives and started adding them back one at a time. When SS had enough drives to realize that there was a Storage
    Space volume(s), but still in error state, I was able to cancel out of the optimize routine. Once the optimize routine was stopped, I was able to add the remaining drives and get back to normal service. If there is a better way, I hope someone will tell us.

The other new feature on the November update is the ability to use the SS GUI to retire and prepare a drive for removal. So far, this feature has worked well for me, as long as the drive you want to remove is still in a healthy status. SS will retire the
    drive, reallocate all the data to other drives in the pool, and then notify you when you can physically remove it.

Recently, I had a drive completely fail/die in my SS pool. The drive was correctly marked retired by SS and all data was reallocated to other drives, but I am not able to remove it because the status of that dead drive is "Lost Communication." The SS Parity
    volume in my pool is in a "degraded" status and SS will not let me remove the "Lost Communication" drive. This is an issue that I have taken up in a separate post as I am reading this situation is happening to others as well.

So, yes, I like the November 2015 update, especially the ability to retire a healthy drive, but there are still issues with the way the optimize feature does not check to see if there is a Parity volume on your SS pool and therefore gets stuck in an endless
    loop trying to optimize the Parity volume when it cannot.

GeorgeTaus, Feb 5, 2019
  4. How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space?

Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    that should help deal with removing and adding drives:

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10.

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space?

1. How Remove Drive that appears healthy from Storage Space? - Similar Threads - Remove Drive appears

2. Storage Spaces - remove/add drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces - remove/add drive: Hi,I currently have a Windows 10 PC running Enterprise edition. The PC has a storage spaces set up on it consisting of 6 x 2TB drives. It also has a m.2 with the Windows install on it.We needed to re-image the PC which we use PIXE boot for. when doing this, all the storage...
  3. Storage Spaces - remove/add drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces - remove/add drive: Hi,I currently have a Windows 10 PC running Enterprise edition. The PC has a storage spaces set up on it consisting of 6 x 2TB drives. It also has a m.2 with the Windows install on it.We needed to re-image the PC which we use PIXE boot for. when doing this, all the storage...
  4. Removing drive from storage spaces stuck at 0.09%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing drive from storage spaces stuck at 0.09%: I've got a simple volume with no parity that I'm using for Plex, and one of my drives has some bad sectors, which I started the process of removing earlier today. However, it seems to have stalled at 0.09% drive capacity used. Running get-storagejob in Powershell shows...
  5. Removing drive from storage spaces stuck at 0.09%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing drive from storage spaces stuck at 0.09%: I've got a simple volume with no parity that I'm using for Plex, and one of my drives has some bad sectors, which I started the process of removing earlier today. However, it seems to have stalled at 0.09% drive capacity used. Running get-storagejob in Powershell shows...
  6. Removing drive from storage spaces stuck at 0.09%

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you created a storage pool or upgraded an existing pool on your Windows 10 […] This article How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Help removing drive from storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help removing drive from storage space: [ATTACH] i've tried multiple thing but i cannot get a bad drive to remove from pool its has 0.01% left on it I'm ok losing that data When trying to remove via the GUI Listing says preparing to remove has been trying to re balance for over a week and wont end what...
  9. Can't remove storage spaces drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't remove storage spaces drive: Something happened to one of the drives on my storage spaces pool. I can no longer see the files, so I tried to remove the storage space. This operation fails with the error: "The disk structure is corrupted an unreadable". There are also similar NTFS errors in the event log....
  10. Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you upgraded an existing pool, you'll be able to remove a drive...