Windows 10: How secure are extensions in browsers?

Discus and support How secure are extensions in browsers? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm sure we all use a few (I know I do - BitDefender Traffic Light and Windows Defender Browser Protection), but given the recent news about Avast and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Golden, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Golden Win User

How secure are extensions in browsers?

I'm sure we all use a few (I know I do - BitDefender Traffic Light and Windows Defender Browser Protection), but given the recent news about Avast and AVG hoovering up and on-selling user data without permission, I want to start a discussion about whether, in order to make browsers more usable via extensions, we have no choice but to increase our attack surface exposure.

We know it's good practice to use as few extensions as possible, but even so, a single rogue extension (or a good extension that is hijacked or goes rogue) could make for a bad experience. We are often told to carefully examine the permissions required by extensions in order to use them, but lets be honest, almost every extension (depending on it's purpose) requires your permission to:

- View your browsing history
    - Read and modify data you copy and paste (password managers for example)
    - Read and change all your data on the websites you visit (adblockers for example)

Judging whether to install extensions based on the above is quite difficult.

So, how do we go about better evaluating whether to use a particular browser extension or not? Do you have any tips or tricks you can share about mitigating the risk?

How can we mitigate against browser AV extensions, that are supposed to provide some security, going rogue?

Given all the work going into browser development to make them more secure, and the ability to use more secure DNS (e.g. quad9), do we even need them?

Lets hear it.

:)

Golden, Feb 3, 2020
  2. OneMoar Win User

TPU 's useful browser extensions

Post your browser and any useful extensions
    there is my current daily browser load-out

Browser Chrome
    Extensions
    • Chrono Download manager
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...anager/mciiogijehkdemklbdcbfkefimifhecn?hl=en

• Practical start-page
    Practical Startpage

• ublock Origin
    uBlock Origin

• tampermonkey script manager
    Tampermonkey
    • TamperMonkey Scripts
    youtube control center dev​YePpHa/YouTubeCenter
    anti-adblock killer​reek/anti-adblock-killer

OneMoar, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Dethroy Win User
  4. How secure are extensions in browsers?

extension manager

Hi Tony,

A browser extension is a plug-in that extends the functionality of a web browser. If you are referring to extension manager of Microsoft Edge browser. Follow these steps to add an extension for Microsoft Edge:

Note:If you don't have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update or later, this option will not be available.

• Open the Microsoft Edge and type about:flags into the address bar.
    • Select the Enable extension developer features checkbox and then
      restart your browser.
    • Select More (...) to open the menu.
    • Select Extensions from the menu.
    • Select the Load extension button.
    • Navigate to your extension's folder and select the Select folder button.

Let us know how it goes.

Efraim Gar, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

How secure are extensions in browsers?

1. How secure are extensions in browsers? - Similar Threads - secure are extensions

2. wSpeedAsk Browser Extension - Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wSpeedAsk Browser Extension - Malware: Split from this thread.Hi,I am going through the same problem as you guys.There is an extension named 'wSpeedAsk' and it reinstalls itself even after getting removed from all the browsers edge, brave, chrome.It is loaded from 'C:\ProgramData\Cljnhuz' and this folder too comes...
  3. malicious browser extension activity 4

in Browsers and Email
    malicious browser extension activity 4: I've started getting alerts from Norton for "malicious browser extension activity 4" from a website called 403 Forbidden. No idea why they've just started coming, but Norton requires a shutdown to 'repair' the issue. I can't find the website and have no idea what is causing...
  4. Question converning browser extensions ...

in Browsers and Email
    Question converning browser extensions ...: I was thinking of adding some extensions to my browser. I concern is that most, if not all, of the extensions want persmissions to access webpages visited, passwords, etc.. Seems to me that these extensions are just as risky as not using them. Why do these extensions need...
  5. Malwarebytes Browser Extension for Chrome

Malwarebytes Browser Extension for Chrome: Currently I use Defender and run Malwarebytes on demand. Does WD perform any browser related protection? I know it doesn't cover PUP's in std mode, Just wondering what the consensus is about this Malwarebytes Browser Extension for Chrome? Sounds like a good idea, but I...
  6. Malwarebytes or avast browser extension.

Malwarebytes or avast browser extension.: Hello , So i recently received a malwarebytes premium license for free and i decided to use the malwarebytes browser too , now my question is , which browser extension is better , malwarebytes or avast? i already had avast for chrome , but i think that malwarebytes might be...
  7. ID SAFE and Edge Browser extension

in Browsers and Email
    ID SAFE and Edge Browser extension: I use a password manager extension for Norton ID safe,,, it was fine for a long time but then one day something went funky and now whenever I have extensions enabled (not even logged in to the ID safe extension) my browser gets slow, when I type to search for instance at...
  8. Browser extensions disabled

in Browsers and Email
    Browser extensions disabled: I use various browsers on my computers associated with the different uses I put them to. On my Windows 10 machine, every time I launch Firefox, I find all of the extensions I have installed have been disabled. I have to re-enable them in settings and relaunch the browser....
  9. Mozilla browser Container Extension

in Browsers and Email
    Mozilla browser Container Extension: How many of you have used the new Mozilla "face book" extension for its Firefox browser that isolates the Facebook identity of users from rest of your web activity ?? Facebook Container Extension, once installed in the user’s Firefox browser, makes it harder for Facebook to...
  10. Spartan Browser To Get Extensions Confirmed

in Windows 10 News
    Spartan Browser To Get Extensions Confirmed: Microsoft's new browser for Windows 10, codenamed "Spartan," will be getting extensions, company officials confirmed during a Twitter chat on January 27. In an #AskIE chat on Twitter, IE team members confirmed what had been rumored: Extensions are coming to IE. Microsoft...