Windows 10: How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?

Discus and support How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2006 Hi: These questions refer to Windows 10 PCs without Bitlocker or other drive encryption. On an older Windows OS, I used... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by franklin-xy, Sep 26, 2022.

1. How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?

Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2006 Hi: These questions refer to Windows 10 PCs without Bitlocker or other drive encryption. On an older Windows OS, I used a password cracking tool to help a friend gain access to his laptop when he forgot his password. It was trivial to gain access. 1. Is it still so easy to gain access to an account under Windows 10? 2. Without cracking the password, is it possible to gain access to a user's files by removing the hard drive and using a drive interface? Will Windows permissions prevent that, or can someone take ownership of those files or use a non-Windows OS

:)

franklin-xy, Sep 26, 2022
  2. Arul_D Win User

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Sep 26, 2022
  3. How to Change Microsoft user account to local user account

Hi Pchelpmenow,

At this situation, what I can suggest you is you have to convert the Microsoft user account to local user account.

• Log to the system using her user account.

• Go to settings and click on Accounts.

• Click on Your email and accounts and click on
      Sign-in with a local account instead.

• Enter the password, click on Next
      and follow the onscreen instruction to convert into local account.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the result for further assistance.

Thank you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 26, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Thema:

How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?

1. How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password? - Similar Threads - secure are user

2. How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2006 Hi: These questions refer to Windows 10 PCs without Bitlocker or other drive encryption. On an older Windows OS, I used a password cracking tool to help a friend gain access to his laptop when he forgot his password. It was trivial to gain...
  3. How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How secure are user files in Windows 10 local user account with password?: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2006 Hi: These questions refer to Windows 10 PCs without Bitlocker or other drive encryption. On an older Windows OS, I used a password cracking tool to help a friend gain access to his laptop when he forgot his password. It was trivial to gain...
  4. How to secure windows 10 user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to secure windows 10 user account: Hi, I looked beforehand and I cannot find the required info. I use a password for windows 10 (when booting computer and you get the login screen) and I would like to secure it, such as how to prevent other non admin user accounts from removing or changing password or...
  5. User account configuration - Microsoft Account with local password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User account configuration - Microsoft Account with local password: I recently realized that my account at Windows 10 is configured in a "strange way". I have local account, but it seems to be connected with Microsoft Account it can be seen on activation screen. In control panel settings my user account is listed as local account "Konto...
  6. Local User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local User Account: Hi, I have a problem that I cant delete my other local user account, already perform Setting > Account > Family and other user > remove account But still the user appear, appreciate for the help, thanks...
  7. local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  8. Local user account with no need for password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local user account with no need for password: Hi, I have two computers. One is a Windows 7 and I am in the process of upgrading that to Win 10. The other is a new Dell Optiplex 5270, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD OS drive. Question regarding the new Dell Optiplex: One thing I want to do is have my computer...
  9. Changing from local user to Microsoft account user, windows password not known.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing from local user to Microsoft account user, windows password not known.: I changed to a local user on my PC, I think this was a pop up suggestion by windows, now my laptop and PC won't communicate. I want to switch back to my Microsoft account sign in on my PC Clicking 'sign in with Microsoft account instead' on 'your info' page under...
  10. How do I change a local user account password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change a local user account password?: I don't know why this is so difficult, Win 10 really screwed things up coming from Seven. Seems they changed a lot of things just for the sake of changing them. I shouldn't have to use a search engine or a forum to answer this question. I am logged in under the...