Windows 10: how should i configure a bootable usb?

Discus and support how should i configure a bootable usb? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have downloaded the windows 10 iso from microsoft and i want to put it on a usb-stick to install it to a computer i'm building. In order to do that,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Beluga_Dolphin_3, Feb 17, 2019.

1. how should i configure a bootable usb?

I have downloaded the windows 10 iso from microsoft and i want to put it on a usb-stick to install it to a computer i'm building.

In order to do that, i installed rufus. But the problem with this is that the new version doesn't allow me to use a gpt partitioning scheme (i'm assuming i have to use this one, because my motherboard has uefi. It's an asus prime A320M-K.) But with gpt selected i can only format the usb drive with ntfs file format. And i'm not sure about it, but i've heard that windows installation can run into problems if ntfs is used. But i'm not sure. That's why i'm asking.

i tried setting rufus up so that it used fat32 file format (i think that was meant for uefi/legacy bios motherboards, but i'm not sure of that.) but the problem i run into then is that the windows iso file contains a file larger than 4 gb. and fat32 can't handle that. So i'm probably forced to use ntfs.

So, my questions:

1. can i just use rufus to create a bootable usb-drive and have it set to ntfs file format

2. does it in this case matter if i use gpt or mbr? i've heard that i should use gpt if it's an uefi board (which it is), but i'm just not sure and i don't want to screw things up.

Thanks for any help.

:)

Beluga_Dolphin_3, Feb 17, 2019
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Chewy Win User
    Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Solaris17 Win User

how should i configure a bootable usb?

is there any demand for a system configurator?

Processor(V) <--drop down arrow
    -AMD(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---AM2(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---939(V)
    ----List of CPU's
    -Intel(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---775(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---771(V)
    ----List of CPU's

etc etc.

Solaris17, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

how should i configure a bootable usb?

1. how should i configure a bootable usb? - Similar Threads - should configure bootable

2. When reinstalling windows 11 with a bootable usb, should I format the SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When reinstalling windows 11 with a bootable usb, should I format the SSD?: So I deleted a system file and am using a bootable usb to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 11. Should I format my SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-reinstalling-windows-11-with-a-bootable-usb/897deee0-d1a9-446f-9a67-bba12aae14a2
  3. When reinstalling windows 11 with a bootable usb, should I format the SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When reinstalling windows 11 with a bootable usb, should I format the SSD?: So I deleted a system file and am using a bootable usb to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 11. Should I format my SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-reinstalling-windows-11-with-a-bootable-usb/897deee0-d1a9-446f-9a67-bba12aae14a2
  4. How should I configure my DHCP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How should I configure my DHCP: There is a router with two interfaces, e0/1 – 192.168.50.1. e0/2 – 192.168.40.1, each of the interfaces are connected to two virtual local area networks which are e0/1 – vlan 5, e0/2 – vlan 4. There is one 24 port switch that has these two vlans. Port 1 to 12 : vlan 5, Port...
  5. How should I configure my DHCP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How should I configure my DHCP: There is a router with two interfaces, e0/1 – 192.168.50.1. e0/2 – 192.168.40.1, each of the interfaces are connected to two virtual local area networks which are e0/1 – vlan 5, e0/2 – vlan 4. There is one 24 port switch that has these two vlans. Port 1 to 12 : vlan 5, Port...
  6. How to make a bootable USB ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to make a bootable USB ?: Please tell me how to make a bootable USB in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-a-bootable-usb/6aaa7f8c-9191-4161-ac8a-777788cc8dd4
  7. Should I keep the data on Win10 bootable USB after installing Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I keep the data on Win10 bootable USB after installing Win10?: Hello, I have done the installation of Win10 on 2 separate PCs using 2 separate 32gb flash drives. Now that the installation is done, I would like to know if I can now erase the ISO files on the drives and start using them as normal drives again. Or do I need to keep them in...
  8. Should I reset/clean windows using bootable USB?

Should I reset/clean windows using bootable USB?: Hey, recently i have been infected by a virus, It deleted a bunch of windows files. I can still boot up, my lan cable is not working. and windows is telling me to activate windows. I tried to reset my PC, but it did not work and i got a error message saying it did not work....
  9. USB Bootable

USB Bootable: Using Tutorial below. .(Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC.) After step 7. I don't get step 8 to select USB I get :- 8GB of free disk space needed on (C:) Move files you no longer need or use Disk Cleanup to create space then try again Help please.. Thanks 152136
  10. How to Create Bootable USB

How to Create Bootable USB: Hi, Just downloaded windows 10 Installation Media from Download Windows 10 . There are two options there Update and Download tool now. I first tried Update and was told that a newer version was available. This was downloaded successfully. That said, the reason I went on there...