Windows 10: How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?

Discus and support How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I always used the entire disk for my installation but I heard that I should make two disks: 1) for the system itself. 2) for software ( games,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Boring-Annual, Jan 7, 2020.

1. How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?

I always used the entire disk for my installation but I heard that I should make two disks:

1) for the system itself.

2) for software ( games, programs etc.. )

My HHD is 1TB, is the true what I wrote above? Also how big should be the above partitions?

submitted by /u/Boring-Annual
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Boring-Annual, Jan 7, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 7, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 10 Home has created an extra partition (Local disk 'F'), for why?

It looks to me like F is a left over partition from the HDD's previous life. F is the primary partition and G is only a logical partition. F could have also been a hidden system partition that Win 10 is just now giving a drive letter.

If there is nothing on the HDD yet, then I'd use diskpart to clean it to get rid of both the partitions and then use disk management to create a single partition.

Also, 50GB is really too small for a Windows 10 C drive.

newtekie1, Jan 7, 2020
  4. How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?

Sudden automatic appearance of disk partition on Windows 10

Hi,

Please let us know, if you have made any changes prior to this issue.

I suggest you to remove the partition and check.

To delete an existing partition from Windows 10:

• Follow the instructions from step 1 to 5 from the above section.
    • From the right pane of the Disk Management section, right-click the volume (partition) that you want to delete.
    • From the context menu that appears, click Delete Volume.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10?

1. How should I partition my HDD disk for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - should partition HDD

2. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  3. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  4. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is there a way to extend these two disk partitions in Windows 10? And should I be worried...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to extend these two disk partitions in Windows 10? And should I be worried...: See my disk management below from my Windows 10 machine. I am a newbie with disk management, so please be gentle.Should I be concerned that the two recovery partitions are at 100%?Is there an easy way to extend the 499MB partition to be a gig 1,024MB in size and then extend...
  6. How much space should I partition for windows 10 on my mac?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How much space should I partition for windows 10 on my mac?: I don't really need to use windows much besides using it for a couple games that aren't compatible with IOS. Would 50GB be enough for what I'm doing? submitted by /u/cocoapuff232 [link] [comments]...
  7. A single partitioned HDD shows as 2 separate disks in Disk Management. How can I correct...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A single partitioned HDD shows as 2 separate disks in Disk Management. How can I correct...: Dear Community, A single partitioned HDD in my PC shows as 2 separate disks in the Disk Management application. I don't think that it should. Referring to the lower half of my attached screenshot, the space shown as Disk 0 and Disk 2 are both on the same physical HDD. C:...
  8. How much disk space should I leave for a Windows 10 partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How much disk space should I leave for a Windows 10 partition?: I use a Linux distro as my main system, but I want to leave a secondary Windows partiotion that I'll use to play a small bunch of old games, that put together shouldn't take more than 15 GB. How much disk space should allocate for that? Thanks....
  9. Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?: I'm planning on installing Windows 10 (64 bits) on a 120gb SSD and also I will be using a 500gb HDD for other files. I would like to have other files on my SSD, should I divide my SSD in 2 partitions? If so, how big should the Windows 10 partition be? (Considering updates) Or...
  10. What partition should be active on Disk 0 ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What partition should be active on Disk 0 ?: I assumed it would be the partition labeled System, But the Recovery partition has system in brackets, and i noticed that most have the one with system in brackets active. I know logically you wouldnt put the recovery as active. but im thinking it labeled wrong, and the...