Windows 10: How should my rig run Guild Wars 2?

Discus and support How should my rig run Guild Wars 2? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Had a quick performance question: I am running GW2 with the following rig - CPU: i5-4460 Motherboard: ASUS H81M-PLUS Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by jsc98, Oct 14, 2017.

1. jsc98 Win User

How should my rig run Guild Wars 2?

Had a quick performance question:
    I am running GW2 with the following rig -

• CPU: i5-4460
    • Motherboard: ASUS H81M-PLUS
    • Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    • Hard Drives:256 Gb Samsung SSD
    • PSU: Super Flower 450W 80+ Gold Rated PSU
    And I am running the game at roughly 30-40fps on pretty much any setting (ie bringing down the graphics doesn't improve fps). Is this normal? or should it run better? (Also CPU temperature is between 60-75 and CPU usage ranges from 80-100%)

Thanks

:)

jsc98, Oct 14, 2017
  2. Frsguy Win User

Can't get past windows login screen

How can you tell that the ssd is going bad? Is it from the 32kb in bad sectors? I only have windows and guild wars 2 on this ssd, guild was has never given me a problem. Have no idea how to properly read it. Running sfc, will report when it's done.

Frsguy, Oct 14, 2017
  3. microsoft store install on external SSD

If you don't mind passing those instructions along when you get them. I've got all of duty ww2. Guild wars 2 world of War craft pubg and Bioshock infinity. All run well off my T5

Mattemt294, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Your system specs are decent but on the low end side....which is why you're seeing those kinds of fps....to be expected for such a build.

My concerns; is the temps you've listed, are those temps at load or idle? Your tCase temp is set/rated by Intel at 72.72 degrees C. So my next questions; how is your case being cooled and what type of cpu cooler are you using?

Intel Core™ i5-4460 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Product Specifications

Plankton, Oct 14, 2017
  5. jsc98 Win User
    Idling right now I'm in the low-mid 50s - when it get busier it goes up to 60 and it only spiked higher on one occasion.
    Using the default intel fan that came with the CPU and several fans on the case itself, that's all.

I've been running around doing general playing for 10 minutes and the highest it has gone is 62, so might have just been an anomaly or the CPU was working particularly hard?

jsc98, Oct 14, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    IMO.....you have a cooling issue. Mine at idle is around 25 - 30 degrees C and at load 45 -50 degrees C. I would strongly suggest you get an after market CPU cooler.... the Hyper 212 Evo is the number 1 recommended air cooler... best bang for buck in it's class. I use one. It's a 120mm cooler...big. So you would need to make sure your case can house it properly. They do make a 92mm size, also very good.

What is the make/model of your case? Could take some pics of your system; case and then remove side panel and a few shots of the inside. Just so I have an idea of what I'm looking at.

Plankton, Oct 14, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    I forgot to ask; what is your RAM frequency (speed) set at?

Plankton, Oct 14, 2017
  8. essenbe Win User

What CPU Cooler do you have? Your system is running too hot, but not dangerously hot from what you are saying. The TCase Intel sites is basically useless for us mere mortals. It is the temp of the CPU Die and can only be read if you were to drill a hole in the IHS and insert a thermocouple. What Software reads is TJ Max, or the temp of the cores, and is the point at which your CPU will throttle or shut down. That usually runs 20+°C higher than TCase. Most programs like Core Temp and Real Temp will give you the TJ Max temp. I would suggest you stay well below that temp as the readings are pretty inaccurate. I always try to stay 25-20°C below mine.

What CPU cooler are you using and when was the last time thermal paste was applied?

As an example, Intel says my TCase temp is 66.6°C, but my TJ Max is 105°C. Quite a difference.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2017
  9. jsc98 Win User
    Case: Antec GX300 Combat Ready Windowed Midi Tower Gaming Case
    And for RAM, i have no idea how do i check

jsc98, Oct 14, 2017
  10. jsc98 Win User
    Here is a screenshot of my realTemp readings with GW2 idle in the background
    Cooler is default intel cooler and thermal paste hasn't been changed since i bought the processor last year

How should my rig run Guild Wars 2? [​IMG]

jsc98, Oct 14, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    In your Real Temp screen, the distance to TJ Max is the distance to thermal shutdown, and is not an exact temp, so stay well away from TJ Max.

The stock Intel Cooler is not very effective.

I don't play Guild Wars so know nothing about the game. Unless it is a very demanding game, I would have thought your rig would do better than you have reported. Changing your graphics settings should make a difference in any game, I would think.

EDIT:
    See if this makes a difference. Go to your power plan and set it to High Performance, then go to Nvidia Control Panel and in manage 3D settings look for Power Management Mode and set it to prefer Maximum Performance. Click Apply at the bottom of the screen. Set your in game graphics to a lower setting. I would try the lowest and see if that works better. If you are getting goo performance, you can raise it to where you get better graphics at acceptable FPS.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2017
  12. essenbe Win User
    I just added to my post above in case you already read it.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How should my rig run Guild Wars 2? - Similar Threads - should rig run

2. Got BSOD while playing Guild Wars 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got BSOD while playing Guild Wars 2: Hello all,As the title says, I was playing GW2 and then got BSOD.Its code is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREAI have checked in the Event Viewer, it is a critical event. <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider...
  3. Got BSOD while playing Guild Wars 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Got BSOD while playing Guild Wars 2: Hello all,As the title says, I was playing GW2 and then got BSOD.Its code is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREAI have checked in the Event Viewer, it is a critical event. <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider...
  4. Got BSOD while playing Guild Wars 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD playing Guild Wars 2

BSOD playing Guild Wars 2: New(ish) laptop, just a few months old and haven't had any problems with Windows 10 crashes since I got it. Recently reinstalled Guild Wars 2 and I can play successfully for random periods of time. I've had two blue screens in the last several hours while playing it and I...
  6. BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION playing Guild Wars 2

BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION playing Guild Wars 2: Hey guys, sometimes while playing Guild Wars 2 i experience a sudden freeze. It is impossible to open the task manager or anything else. Shortly after that, the BSOD appears. I add the diagnostic information and hope you can help me! If you need any other information, I...
  7. BSODs when using integrated graphics to play Guild Wars 2

BSODs when using integrated graphics to play Guild Wars 2: Hey everyone! I've been having a lot of problems playing online games with my integrated graphics. I get really low fps if I try to play using my dedicated graphics card. It gets to the point where the games are unplayable which is why I switched over to the integrated...
  8. BSOD at random times in Guild Wars 2 [0x0124]

BSOD at random times in Guild Wars 2 [0x0124]: Hi, I have never had any BSOD related problems on my computer until I "opted" to upgrade from Windows 8,1 to Windows 10. Since then I have been getting what seem to be random crashes always when running Guild Wars 2. This does not occur under any other circumstances or in...
  9. 100% Disk Usage when running Guild Wars 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% Disk Usage when running Guild Wars 2: I have posted this in another category so please forgive me and notify me if this practise is discouraged but whenever I run GW2 I randomly get 100% disk usage with 0 read/write activity. There are more details in this post:...
  10. 100% Disk Usage when running Guild Wars 2

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% Disk Usage when running Guild Wars 2: Hi guys! I'm not sure what type of issue this is so I've posted this in the Performance & Maintenance, Gaming and Hardware categories. Please notify me if this is discouraged behaviour. Anyway here's the thread: 100% Disk Usage when running GW2 - Windows 10 Forums...