Windows 10: How to accelerate deleting of files / folder?

Discus and support How to accelerate deleting of files / folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Removing files / folder from an external drive, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, and internal drive (to the recycle bin and permanently) lasts extremely long.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bingus, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Bingus Win User

How to accelerate deleting of files / folder?

Removing files / folder from an external drive, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, and internal drive (to the recycle bin and permanently) lasts extremely long. About 1 million files take about 20, 30 hours or longer using USB 3.0, removing them from an external USB 3 hdd, WD 4 TB.

How could I make deleting faster?

:)

Bingus, Mar 31, 2016

2. Computer crashes from Chrome

Disable hardware acceleration in Chrome:

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration - Ccm.net

ccm.net/faq/35743-google-chrome-how-to-disable-hardware-acceleration

Andre Da Costa, Mar 31, 2016
  3. Chrome crashing whenever I try to save files

Try turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome to see if works:

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration - Ccm.net

ccm.net/faq/35743-google-chrome-how-to-disable-hardware-acceleration

Andre Da Costa, Mar 31, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Holding Shift when deleting files deletes them without using recycle bin but that doesn't help much the speed.
    External disks are slower than internal disks and connection to computer, even USB3 doesn't help much either. Fast formatting a partition is fastest way I know of. Keeping disposable files all in one partition/disk is how I do it.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Bingus Win User
    Many thanks, CountMike.

Yes, I would have formatted but there are files I have to keep.

So the speed I mentioned is common? It sounds absurd, to just delete (to the bin or "forever") about 1, 2 millions of files takes 20, 30 hours or even longer. Unbelievable.

So it appears, there is nothing I could do.

Many thanks again

Bingus, Mar 31, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Have you tried using the erase command in the command prompt?? That might be much fast.. try it out.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Bingus Win User
    No, I didn't. How could I do it?

I have tried FastCopy, TeraCopy, etc.

Bingus, Mar 31, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Unfortunately it's all determined by interface and device speeds. What's even worse is that data in those files is not completely erased even with formatting and not even when deleting whole partition and is still recoverable with appropriate SW. It's lost only when other data is written over it.
    An SSD with eSATA interface will of course speed up things immensely but expense is still to high, in few years it may be possible though. If possible, you may even connect that drive internally at least when you have need to delete those files as it would bypass relatively slow USB interface.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Never mind.. Mike has this covered.

BunnyJ, Mar 31, 2016
  10. Bingus Win User
    Yes, to shredder (overwriting them one time) all files of an external 4 TB drive lasts about 2,5 days with me. And deleting just the entries (of the MFT or what it is) lasts about half that time, that is ridiculous.

I have an internal 256 GB SSD, but it is not that much faster (as I had assumed it).

Many thanks again

Bingus, Mar 31, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Just a thought, an AV, specially 3rd party may also slow things down even when deleting files although it's none of it's bee's wax to interfere in that case.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  12. Bingus Win User
    AV is anti virus? I use the one of Win, Defender.

Bingus, Mar 31, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

Yes, antivirus, maybe next time you have large amount of files to delete, you can disable real time protection.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  14. Bingus Win User
    Yes, I could try it the next time...may be then a virus comes down. Or may be I will try it now while the deleting is running, still to delete about 1 million files.

Yes, done, switched off the real time protection, but the speed appears to stay the same.

Bingus, Mar 31, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    As I said, just a thought. Copying files seems to be faster though.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

1. How to accelerate deleting of files / folder? - Similar Threads - accelerate deleting files

2. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  3. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  4. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    delete a file in folders: how to delete a file in folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-file-in-folders/430d0465-2059-470a-8aca-0695dcb6b053
  5. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    delete a file in folders: how to delete a file in folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-file-in-folders/430d0465-2059-470a-8aca-0695dcb6b053
  6. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How to delete ''WindowsApps'' and ''Program Files'' folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete ''WindowsApps'' and ''Program Files'' folders?: Hey, I just noticed that I have two new folders on my hard drive one is called ''WindowsApps'' the other ''Program Files''. I have no permissions to read or delete them, even tho I'm the administrator. They seem to be system folders. Does anyone have an idea how to remove...
  8. How to delete Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete Files and Folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]You might often find unwanted or unnecessary files and folders on your PC that you would want to get rid of. Deleting these files or […] This article How to delete Files and Folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Deleting Folders/Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Folders/Files: I have an unwanted folder that contains an exe file called quandam.exe. The exe file continuously produces more exe files, which are adwawres. When attempting to delete it normally, I get the error message: 'Folder In Use'. When attempting to delete it in command prompt, the...
  10. Folders and files that will not delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files that will not delete: I recently deleted some mp3 files and folders, then when I emptied the Recycle Bin I inadvertently answered "no" to the "are you sure you want to delete these files" question. Now they are sitting on my recent files / frequent folders page and will not delete again. When you...