Windows 10: How to access a folder just by typing its Name

Discus and support How to access a folder just by typing its Name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I want to know how do I access a folder only by typing its name like we access "Documents, Onedrive, Links, Music" etc. I want to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricardobohner, Feb 20, 2019.

1. How to access a folder just by typing its Name

Hi, I want to know how do I access a folder only by typing its name like we access "Documents, Onedrive, Links, Music" etc.

I want to be able to access this folder from anywhere like from typing its name on the run command or in the explorer address bar.

Let's say the folder is in W:\md\work

I already tried to put a link to the folder in the userprofile but it didn't work.

:)

ricardobohner, Feb 20, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Feb 20, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to access a folder just by typing its Name

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

How to access a folder just by typing its Name

1. How to access a folder just by typing its Name - Similar Threads - access folder typing

2. How to access to the folder named "windows apps"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access to the folder named "windows apps"?: My game is installed on this folder. I am unable to access to this folder. How can I access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-to-the-folder-named-windows-apps/1740c868-6bf6-478f-8945-68018b8deb1a
  3. How to access to the folder named "windows apps"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access to the folder named "windows apps"?: My game is installed on this folder. I am unable to access to this folder. How can I access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-to-the-folder-named-windows-apps/1740c868-6bf6-478f-8945-68018b8deb1a
  4. How to access to the folder named "windows apps"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot delete a folder with "@" in its name

Cannot delete a folder with "@" in its name: Hello, I can't delete a folder with @ in its name. It says the file doesn't exist except I can still go into the folder and add files or whatever I want. I've turned off the controlled folder access and it doesn't help. i also can't change the name since it acts as if the...
  6. [HELP]How to change name of users folder if its taking name from Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    [HELP]How to change name of users folder if its taking name from Microsoft account?: So I only have one user created in my PC which is an admin user. Now the issue is it is taking the name from my Microsoft account.. which is creating a problem as the name it is taking has space in it that is, First name Last name. How do I rename my user's account? Since...
  7. Desktop name in english but its name in folder path is always russian

Desktop name in english but its name in folder path is always russian: My Windows 10 was initially installed in Russian and I've been using it for almost 2 years after what I decided to change the display language to English. After changing it to English the entire system changed into English. OneDrive folders didn't change: Desktop, Pictures,...
  8. Sort by name, not type in folder

Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....
  9. Explorer delay while typing for folder name

Explorer delay while typing for folder name: When you are in explorer, you can type the letters and numbers of the folder you are looking for. If you pause it will forget what you typed and start over. I want to increase this pause delay(so I can look at the paper that has the information on it). I have looked all...
  10. Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?

in Windows 10 Support
    Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?: In Windows 7, and before, in Explorer, I could start to type a name of a file that I wanted and Explorer would jump down to that file, but under Windows 10, it automatically starts doing a search of the folder. As such, I am forced to scroll down and find the file manually....