Windows 10: How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices

Discus and support How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you wanted to access the advanced boot options in Windows 7, all you had to do was press F8 on the keyboard during boot to load the boot menu.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 27, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices

If you wanted to access the advanced boot options in Windows 7, all you had to do was press F8 on the keyboard during boot to load the boot menu.

Microsoft changed the boot process significantly in Windows 8 and rendered F8 more or less useless as a consequence. While you may still use F8, you have less than a second of time to do so and it usually does not work anymore even if you press the key a dozen or so times during boot.

Tip: check out our guide on shutting down Windows fast.

In Windows 10, administrators need to open the Settings application, e.g. from Start or by using Windows-I, and select Update & Security> Recovery > Restart Now (under Advanced Startup).

Administrators who want to speed up the process may use a shortcut instead to load the Advanced Options.

How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices windows-10-advanced-options-shortcut.png

Here is what you need to do to create the shortcut:

1. Right-click on the desktop (or any other location) and select New > Shortcut.
    2. Paste the following String in the location field: c:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    3. Pick a name (or keep the default) on the next page.

What do the parameters do?

• /r -- Full shutdown and restart of the computer.
    • /o -- Go to the advanced boot options menu and restart the computer (must be used with /r)
    • /f -- Force applications to close without displaying a warning to users.
    • /t 00 -- Time-out period before shutdown in seconds.

You can adjust the time-out period if you want a bit of time before the PC is restarted when executing the shortcut. The command can also be run from the command prompt directly without creating a shortcut.

A click on the shortcut restarts the system immediately. Make sure to save all work and (better) close all application windows that are open before you execute the shortcut.

The shortcut loads the "choose an option" menu during boot. You may continue to boot Windows 10 or access the Troubleshoot menu. The menu lists options to reset the PC or open the advanced options.

The advanced options lists the following menu items:

• Startup Repair
    • Startup Settings
    • Command Prompt
    • Uninstall Updates
    • System Restore
    • System Image Recovery
    Closing Words

The shortcut is one of the fastest options to restart a Windows 10 device and load the advanced startup options during start of the system.

Now You: Have you loaded the advanced startup options recently on Windows machines?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Issues with accessing playback devices after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Vohn,

As you are facing issues with accessing the playback device option on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated audio drivers, try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article try the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 27, 2019
  4. How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices

No Troubleshot option in Advanced startup menu..

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further:

• How exactly are you accessing the Advance boot option?
    • Are you using Windows 10 installation disk to access the Advance start up options or trying to access through Windows?

I suggest you to follow the below path and check if you are able to see the Troubleshoot option:

• Open Settings, and click/tap on the
      Update & security icon.

• Click/tap on
      Recovery on the left side, and click/tap on Restart
      now under Advanced startup. Check if you are able to view the
      Troubleshoot option.
    Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you with the issue.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices

1. How to access Advanced Options quickly on Windows 10 devices - Similar Threads - access Advanced Options

2. Can't access Advanced Start Up Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Advanced Start Up Options in Windows 10: Apparently you hold shift while selecting “restart” from the power options and then it’ll bring it up but I have about a 50% success rate doing it this way. Half the time it’ll just black screen and I’ll be forced to hard reset my PC. Also trying to access Advanced Options...
  3. Can't access Advanced Start Up Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Advanced Start Up Options in Windows 10: Apparently you hold shift while selecting “restart” from the power options and then it’ll bring it up but I have about a 50% success rate doing it this way. Half the time it’ll just black screen and I’ll be forced to hard reset my PC. Also trying to access Advanced Options...
  4. Can't access Advanced Start Up Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't access Advanced Startup Options!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Advanced Startup Options!: I'm trying to access Safe Mode to use the Kaspersky Protection Password Removal Toolthe official one. Because it only run on Safe Mode! First, I tried to access it by holding Shift and press Restart in the Power Option. It only option is "Turn off this PC". I think is...
  6. Can't access Advanced Startup Options!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Advanced Startup Options!: I'm trying to access Safe Mode to use the Kaspersky Protection Password Removal Toolthe official one. Because it only run on Safe Mode! First, I tried to access it by holding Shift and press Restart in the Power Option. It only option is "Turn off this PC". I think is...
  7. Can't access Advanced Startup Options!

8. Inaccessible boot device restart loop without access to advanced options

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inaccessible boot device restart loop without access to advanced options: Hello, I recently updated some drivers and one of them, I beleive a graphics update, asked for me to restart my laptop to finish setting up. I opted to manually restart later as there were a few more drivers that needed to be updated, so I finished updating them and then...
  9. Unable to access Advanced Startup Options

Unable to access Advanced Startup Options: While trying to access my BIOS, I was advised to enter Advanced Startup via Shift-Restart. However, doing so only takes me to a black screen. Cycling power allows my PC to boot into Windows normally. Any idea what could be causing this problem?...
  10. Hide Quick Access Option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hide Quick Access Option: Is there a way to hide the "Quick Access" in Windows Explorer? Just curious. I know I can hide things from there in options but I wanted to see if I could get rid of it altogether. Thanks 53011