Windows 10: How to access AppData folder in safe mode?

Discus and support How to access AppData folder in safe mode? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am currently trying to back up my Firefox bookmarks and passwords before starting a clean windows 10 reinstall. My PC is caught in an "attempting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Exoe, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Exoe Win User

How to access AppData folder in safe mode?

I am currently trying to back up my Firefox bookmarks and passwords before starting a clean windows 10 reinstall. My PC is caught in an "attempting to restore previous version" loop, so I'm using the Command Prompt method of accessing and backing up my C drive files before the reinstall.

The Appdata folder is hidden and the usual methods of accessing it don't work in this unbooted mode. Is there a way to get to it, and if not, is there any other way of accessing my Firefox bookmarks and passwords?

:)

Exoe, Dec 2, 2019

2. How to access appdata folder

Hi Jaden,

Thank you posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Write in the search box the following: “%appdata%” .
    • After the search is finished left click or tap on the folder that the search feature found.
    • If it takes you to the following path: “C:\Users\The user that you are logged in with\AppData\Roaming”.
    • It means that your folders are still there but they are hidden.
    • Click on “View”.
    • Check the box “Hidden items”
    Also you refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: Above link also refers to the Windows 10.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 2, 2019
  4. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

1. How to access AppData folder in safe mode? - Similar Threads - access AppData folder

2. an "AppData" folder problem!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    an "AppData" folder problem!: Hello there, recently, i was looking in the AppData folder and it's subfolder (under my user directory) and suddenly i came across with an strange thing! I fund some folders of some old applications i used to use back in days which i uninstalled them 5 month ago and i no...
  3. How to move appdata/local folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move appdata/local folder?: I keep getting file xxx used by system. I already have group policies: "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" disabled "Add the Administrators security group to roaming user profiles." enabled I've already moved roaming, local low, documents (although some files &...
  4. Access to Local AppData

Access to Local AppData: In short, I've developed an office add in that uses Local AppData folder to log (using Log4net) as well as produce dynamic dlls. Last year August I had our first incident of a user not being able to write to the AppData location. It seems to be an Access Denied issue. I...
  5. AppData Roaming folder

AppData Roaming folder: I have accidentally deleted my AppData folder and I can't recover it. I bought my laptop from UK and the windows and drivers were preinstalled in it. And I have not any disc form where I can redownload drivers or windows licensed version. what should I do even powershell is...
  6. How to start in safe mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to start in safe mode?: :O do I start my comp. In safe mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-start-in-safe-mode/c4f4c529-fa2a-4e9c-a479-577df4f1b28d
  7. Preventing Access to Safe Mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Preventing Access to Safe Mode: Problem: K9 Web Protection software is disabled when loading in Safe Mode, allowing unfettered access to the internet in Safe Mode. Tried: Installing K9 both normally, and in Safe Mode (appeared that future loading in Safe Mode removed the k9 installation). Manually added...
  8. Is it safe to delete a file in appdata

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it safe to delete a file in appdata: Recently my avast has detected a pair of viruses in a file deep in my appdata more specifically the file C:\Users\My username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows . I can't find a file inside it that is infected and scanning each individual file inside it doesn't find a virus only...
  9. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...
  10. Curious appdata folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious appdata folders: This is just a 'for curiosity' enquiry as the disk in question is out of service due to bad block errors. Under appdata\Local there are 1244 empty folders like below - wonder how they got there? 51606