Windows 10: How To Access Hidden Drives

Discus and support How To Access Hidden Drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I'm cleaning the computer from annoying Malware, and come across this app. Within this app, it states that 5 other drives are being protected, aside... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Apr 12, 2020.

1. pepanee Win User

How To Access Hidden Drives

So I'm cleaning the computer from annoying Malware, and come across this app. Within this app, it states that 5 other drives are being protected, aside than the 3 physical drives that I have here:

I want to get rid of all these other drives.

How To Access Hidden Drives [​IMG]

:)

pepanee, Apr 12, 2020
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. All hidden files turned Un-hidden

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I suggest you to re-add them to the hidden items list and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the folders to hide, select Properties.
    • Go to General tab, under Attributes check mark the option
      Hidden.
    • Click on Apply and on Ok.

I suggest you not to use any third party anti-virus software. Try to use Windows Defender.

Refer: Using Windows Defender

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not accessable in Windows 10 using external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the file partition format type of your external drive?

As Linux and Windows they work on different file system, when the files are migrated from Linux base system to Windows OS, most of the files that are not supported could be hidden, I suggest you to follow the steps below to further
    narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Check the hard drive in different computer.

I suggest you to check the hard drive in a different computer and check if you still face the issue.

If the same issue persists on different computer then the issue might be with the hard drive itself, I suggest you to contact the local tech and get the drive checked.

Method 2: Run Check disk.

Run the check disk command to repair the hard drive and fix the bad sectors.

1. Search for Command Prompt on the start menu.
    2. Right click and Run as Administrator.
    3. Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x where
      C: represents the drive letter for the hard drive change the drive letter according to your system and hit enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might
    be lost.

Method 3: Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

I suggest you refer to this article
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

download and run the troubleshooter to fix the issue with USB detection.

Method 4: uninstall USB drivers.

1. If you still face the issue and the hard drives throws the error again, you can refer the article

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend
      and check if this helps you.
    2. Reboot the computer once after the steps are completed.

Method 5: Backup your data on Linux OS.

As the drive is compatible with Linux system, I suggest you to backup your data on any Linux computer first.

Method 6: Check for hidden files.

Some Linux files that are not readable by Windows are sometimes hidden in Windows, you can follow the below steps to unhide them and access the data.

1. If you are able to read the hard drive, I suggest you to navigate to the drive partition and

unhide all the hidden folder
      and check.
    2. If you are still not able to see the data, uncheck
      Hide protected operating system files.
    3. After you have found your files, I suggest you to undo the changes.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

1. How To Access Hidden Drives - Similar Threads - Access Hidden Drives

2. Connect a network drive hidden?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect a network drive hidden?: Hi,I'm trying to connect a network drive that should be hidden and only be able to access with the given name of the Folder. Now in Windows 7 i was able to do that using this command in the Command Prompt and it is not shown in the File Explorer but i cant access it with the...
  3. Connect a network drive hidden?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connect a network drive hidden?: Hi,I'm trying to connect a network drive that should be hidden and only be able to access with the given name of the Folder. Now in Windows 7 i was able to do that using this command in the Command Prompt and it is not shown in the File Explorer but i cant access it with the...
  4. drives hidden in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drives hidden in file explorer: Drives hidden since last Win 10 update. I see them in Disc Management but don't know how to make them visible again in File Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drives-hidden-in-file-explorer/6f69f60d-5107-4d26-87a7-1a06601653e8
  5. how to delete hidden game from C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to delete hidden game from C: drive: I was trying to install a game 38gb and i SET to install to D: drive, but when i extracted it, it somehow went to C: drive, and now my system drive is full. unistalled the original game files but the C: drive still says that its full. can someone help me?...
  6. How to delete hidden files in D formatted drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to delete hidden files in D formatted drive?: i formatted D Drive Completely and its empty. But when im using defraggler theres a files 117.9 MB files are still there. how to delete them? [ATTACH] 173930
  7. Drive D: hidden files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive D: hidden files: I have a query. I reinstalled my Windows 10 system and since that date D drive has seemed empty. But antivirus scanning showed that it has 24 files there. I cannot find what files are there and what they contain. Help me to find what files are there...
  8. How To Access Hidden Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To Access Hidden Drives: So I'm cleaning the computer from annoying Malware, and come across this app. Within this app, it states that 5 other drives are being protected, aside than the 3 physical drives that I have here: I want to get rid of all these other drives. [img] 154087
  9. how do I stop remote access and installation of hidden network access?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I stop remote access and installation of hidden network access?: how I stop remote access to my computer by a hidden network and how to I remove this threat, how do I keep my computer safer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-remote-access-and-installation-of/c0d83587-b2a3-408d-93fe-2c47715ad3bb
  10. How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat: So I had some hidden files (media) on another drive, I reformated windows and now the hidden files wont open. Are they lost for good or is there some way I may unlock them to open! (WP10) Thanks alot! 25660