Windows 10: How to access winre.wim?

Discus and support How to access winre.wim? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Where in a Windows 10 installation is winre.wim stored? If it's stored in the EFI system partition, how can I access it? I'd like to use it to build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sten3, Dec 24, 2019.

1. sten3 Win User

How to access winre.wim?

Where in a Windows 10 installation is winre.wim stored? If it's stored in the EFI system partition, how can I access it?

I'd like to use it to build backup software (Macrium Reflect) rescue media.

:)

sten3, Dec 24, 2019
  2. xtian Win User

How do I (mount and) copy the contents of (hidden) WinRE?

I have a WinRE partition at the end of my SSD and I want to move it down following the Win NTFS system partition so I can install Linux in the fourth position.

This SuperUser suggests copying the contents of WinRE.
    https://superuser.com/a/1233758

I would recommend assigning a drive letter to it and obtaining a copy of the WinRE.wim file. You'll need it to move the recovery environment somewhere later. You can obtain a copy of this file in other ways, but it will be easier just to get it ahead of time.

How to make a hidden partition visible says how to launch Disk Management to access Admin Privileges. But the steps say to right click on the hidden partition, but Disk Management never give me anything more than “help” popup.

How do I copy the contents of WinRE?

xtian, Dec 24, 2019
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Dec 24, 2019
  4. Cliff S Win User

How to access winre.wim?

Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

I just needed to do it to grab the Winre from a newer ESD ISO(the official one from the release date, instead of the one I had the Friday before).

Just so others know, you need to do these steps if you wish to replace missing or corrupt Windows system files and libraries(.dll)(not so sure about replacing folders though).

*InfoIt must come from a Install .wim and not .esd

Cliff S, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

How to access winre.wim?

1. How to access winre.wim? - Similar Threads - access winre wim

2. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  3. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  4. How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on: Due to the Windows Updates error Install error - 0x80070643 persisting for months, I manually resized the partition following the instructions KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. When I tried to enable WinRE reagentc /enable,...
  5. How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on: Due to the Windows Updates error Install error - 0x80070643 persisting for months, I manually resized the partition following the instructions KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. When I tried to enable WinRE reagentc /enable,...
  6. How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. BSOD loop, unable to access winRE or desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD loop, unable to access winRE or desktop: Hello everyone! Pc specs: Asus prime x570 pro Amd ryzen 7 5800x One M.2 ssd 2 normal ssd's 750 sf platinum psu GTX 1080 graphics card My newly built pc (except for GPU) just shut itself off without warning today whilst I was just surfing the web. It reebooted automaticly but...
  8. How to enter safe mode in WINre ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enter safe mode in WINre ?: I cannot enter safe mode by using WINre by using Startup Settings even though I have tried pressing 5 and F5 it keeps showing the error Critical Process Died...
  9. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...
  10. BSOD When accessing WinRE/USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD When accessing WinRE/USB Recovery Drive: Currently, my system seems to be running fine. I get no crashes during regular operation, all drivers have been updated, and yeah, life's great. I was trying to setup recovery media (USB Recovery Drive), and while the drive configured without error, when I attempt to boot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. get access to the WinRe