Windows 10: How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine?

Discus and support How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is how my main pc is activated: [ATTACH] Whenever I do a clean install it already self-activates to the Windows 10 home version and later, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Guimer00, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Guimer00 Win User

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine?

This is how my main pc is activated:

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? f8cbdcc3-1c3f-4beb-9b57-a9d6e5376316?upload=true.png

Whenever I do a clean install it already self-activates to the Windows 10 home version and later, I use my Windows 8 Pro serial key to upgrade the Pro version.

To experiment with some insider builds I've created a virtual machine with Hyper-V, Installed the Windows 10 Pro version using a regular Windows build, logged in with the same Microsoft Account and then opted in for the latest insider build. This is the current version I'm using on my virtual machine:

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? 2aebaef9-014a-46f4-b0cf-da018775234b?upload=true.png

And this is my activation page in the settings app:

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? ea72f476-ab65-489b-b67a-4c644a782967?upload=true.png

I try changing the product key to the same Windows 8 Pro serial I used on my regular machine and this is the result:

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? c6fa9ded-da4c-41a4-802c-96d46b26d4f7?upload=true.png

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? 7ee59095-f87a-4460-8b6b-27f3c325ee4e?upload=true.png

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? 79d8758e-6991-423d-8819-6172f193d32d?upload=true.png

Am I doing something wrong or is not possible to use a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine with the same serial key I use on my main PC?

:)

Guimer00, Jul 14, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

Windows 10 RTM/Build 10240 now available for Insiders

Insiders in the fast and slow rings are now being distributed the latest Windows 10 RTM (build 10240).

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-for-windows-insiders-in-fast-and-slow-rings/

But for those wanting to expedite the upgrade, and/or download the latest build in iso form, it can be downloaded for free from the following link.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/oper...-pro-build-10240-iso-32-64-bit-free-download/

Don't forget to check out the activation steps found here:

Spoiler slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
    slmgr /ato

Windows 10 Enterprise - NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43B8YKP-D69TJ
    Windows 10 Home - TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Windows 10 Professional - W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

use the key you need for the build and run those lines in cmd to activate

activation
    I suggest running those commands as administrator. Just in case.

Enjoy!

MrGenius, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

4. How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine?

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a while back and it will not activate. I didn't do a clean install from Windows 7/8/8.1 it was from Windows 10 (activated) so I expected it to activate just fine since it was fine before hand.

My Windows 10 license wasn't created from a previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key I got it from signing up to be an insider back in Nov of 2014. I installed a preview build on my laptop from the insider program and it worked just fine and it automatically upgraded to newer and newer preview builds and then to the full release automatically, fully activated and working fine. I did a full clean install not long ago (expect it to go through without issue since it was working before) and now it will not activate and I can't find any info on how to get it to activate and I can't seem to find the insider Windows 10 key.

Microsoft online support was useless and the gave me the toll free number to tech support.. I am currently on the phone waiting, they said it could be a 1hr 30min wait.. sigh.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LightningJR, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine?

1. How to activate a Windows Insider build in a virtual machine? - Similar Threads - activate Insider build

2. Windows 11 Insider Builds/Previews VMware Virtual Machine Not Working Anymore - After...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Insider Builds/Previews VMware Virtual Machine Not Working Anymore - After...: My Laptop: Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 AlphaCurrent Version of Windows: Windows 11 HomeAfter I Power On The Virtual Machine, This Pops Up:Then, This Pops Up:Then, The Whole ApplicationVMware CrashesSo, How Do I Fix This?...
  3. Windows 11 Insider Builds/Previews VMware Virtual Machine Not Working Anymore - After...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Insider Builds/Previews VMware Virtual Machine Not Working Anymore - After...: My Laptop: Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 AlphaCurrent Version of Windows: Windows 11 HomeAfter I Power On The Virtual Machine, This Pops Up:Then, This Pops Up:Then, The Whole ApplicationVMware CrashesSo, How Do I Fix This?...
  4. How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?: Because I don't have windows activation key of my main physical system as it is digitally licenced. I'm using windows 10 home and 21H1 version on my main pc. And i'm testing windows 11 developer preview version on vmware on same system. But windows 11 is not activating even...
  5. Activate Windows 10 on virtual machine

Activate Windows 10 on virtual machine: I have recently installed windows 10 on VirtualBox on my genuine licensed windows 10 home edition, The virtual machine says that the windows 10 I have downloaded does not have a license key for the home edition, am I not understanding how to overcome this, and I don't want to...
  6. Windows 10 Activation in Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation in Virtual Machine: Hi, I have a windows 10 pro running on my desktop and would like to do some experiments on it in a virtual environment. Is it possible to use the same activation key for a second time in my virtual environment? It will be running on the same host machine as the already...
  7. Running Linux with a virtual machine inside Windows 10 machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running Linux with a virtual machine inside Windows 10 machine: Hi and question: If I run a virtual machine inside my windows 10 machine, does all the telemetry, keystroke logging, etc. still happen while inside the VM? Example: If I run Linux Mint in a VM with Windows 10 as the host computer, does Windows (Microsoft) get all the...
  8. How activate Windows 10 on KVM Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How activate Windows 10 on KVM Virtual Machine: Hello, so I have installed Windows 10 legit license successfully on KVM under Linux but cant activate it, error 0x803fa067. Who at MS can help me fix this. thanks...
  9. Windows 10 inside a local virtual machine license

Windows 10 inside a local virtual machine license: I want to install windows 10 in a virtual box virtual machine on my laptop, that runs Windows 10 pro. I need another Windows installation because I need a closed environment for a project at work. Can I do this, and what kind of license do I need for this Windows 10 pro that...
  10. Running a Windows XP Virtual Machine inside of Windows 10... need help with activation.

Running a Windows XP Virtual Machine inside of Windows 10... need help with activation.: Good afternoon, all! I work at a major university and we have a strange IT issue. I'm trying to get this done without breaking any user agreements / etc., and doing everything legally. Here's the situation... in one of our labs, we have a piece of analysis equipment that...