Windows 10: How to activate previously purchased Win10 Pro licence after reinstall?

Discus and support How to activate previously purchased Win10 Pro licence after reinstall? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have just reinstalled the windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. The Windows is activated as Win 10 Home, although I would like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tegu0, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Tegu0 Win User

How to activate previously purchased Win10 Pro licence after reinstall?

Hello,

I have just reinstalled the windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.

The Windows is activated as Win 10 Home, although I would like to upgrade it to Win 10 Pro.

Previously it was working like this, I purchased the Win 10 Pro upgrade from the MS Store on 23 February 2019.

How can I upgrade? There is no product key.

Thanks,

Istvan

:)

Tegu0, Mar 19, 2020

2. Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.

I bought Windows 10 Pro 2 years ago and at the time on that computer it worked as an in-situ upgrade without issues.

Ive since had to change computers and reinstall and it doesn't seem to exist any more.

The windows install is the OEM supplied Win10 home.

When i attempt to upgrade via windows it gives me 2 options only:-

(i) Enter a product key (which i dont have since i believe i have a digital licence)

(ii) Link to the MS store where it offers me to purchase Win10 pro again (but i already own it).

Looking into my Microsoft account i can see the order for Win10 Pro complete with Order number if i select "All" purchases with the correct date. If i click on "Digital" nothing shows up on the same screen.

I seem to have no product key and no digital version of Pro tied to my account despite my order history showing i bought it (and used it previously).

Im unable to run the Activation Troubleshooter because windows is already activated (with OEM home).

How can i go about fixing this so i can upgrade my windows install to Pro again and how can i get it added as a digital licence correctly in the store for future reinstalls if needed?

WhitcombeRD, Mar 19, 2020
  3. purchase licence

I have been running a win 10 Enterprise and it says it will soon expire. I do not want to do a reinstall because of software Im have on this computer. Can I purchase a licennce and activate this Win10 I am running?I can't find the proper place to purchace
    the licence

AllenHiggins1, Mar 19, 2020
  4. kevvyb Win User

Successful transfer of Win10 Pro digital licence

Hi I would put it this way from what I have learned:
    If you have a windows 7 (or presumably, 8 or 8.1) RETAIL channel licence (i.e. you had the discs and were previously able to install on new machines as you needed - uninstalling any others so that there was only one copy in use) then yes.

I had upgraded my old Win7 pro licence to Win10 Pro using the free upgrade offer from MS last year.

Now I want to use win10 pro on the new machine (which comes with Win10 Home) but I only have a digital win10 pro licence on the old machine (plus my old Win7 Pro licence).

The digital licence to win10 pro can apparently be 'transferred' to the new machine. I haven't done this yet but I am told this is effected by using a MSA (Microsoft account) and being logged into that account on both machines.

You then use the activation troubleshooter to select the licence on the old machine or alternatively performing a plain upgrade on the new machine and either entering the original win7 pro key or calling MS to activate over the telephone.

We'll see if it works. I'll post back.

kevvyb, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

1. How to activate previously purchased Win10 Pro licence after reinstall? - Similar Threads - activate previously purchased

2. Reinstall Win 10 - how to get the previously purchased pro back?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstall Win 10 - how to get the previously purchased pro back?: A few months back, I bought a desktop with Win 10 Home and I upgraded it to Pro through store. After the upgrade, I noticed the product key didn't change but it did show that my edition is Pro. A few days ago, I reinstalled Win 10 in a hope to fix a graphic card driver issue...
  3. Purchased Win10 Pro Upgrade from store, will not activate

Purchased Win10 Pro Upgrade from store, will not activate: The computer came with Win10 Home. I purchased a Win10 Pro upgrade from the Miicrosoft store. Now on the activation page it states I have Windows 10 Enterprisewhich I did not purchase - I purchase Windows 10 Professional upgrade. It also states "We can't activate Windows on...
  4. Activation of Pro Licence

Activation of Pro Licence: I upgraded my Windows Home licence directly through Microsoft. I then restarted my laptop but it still shows only Windows Home not Pro. The email sent through does not have a licence key. How can I fix this?...
  5. How activate windows after reinstall without licence key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How activate windows after reinstall without licence key: My computer was reinstall but is windows is not active. Laptop is in my device list in my microsoft account. i do not have activate licence key, laptop was active from shop. Pls any idea?...
  6. Reinstalling and Activating Win10 after Wipe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling and Activating Win10 after Wipe: Hello, I'd like to kindly ask HOW (if possible with steps) to Reinstall AND Re-activate Windows10 after I have wiped completely (not just format) my PC. My question is not so much the installing process as to how to get an activated version back again running WHEN my...
  7. How to activate Windows 10 Pro from a previous online digital purchase

How to activate Windows 10 Pro from a previous online digital purchase: I did a refresh installation for fixing one screen freeze problem happened in the 3D video game, so it came across to activate my Windows 10 Pro. However, the problem is I don't have product key cause I purchased Windows 10 Pro thru a digital order and my Windows copy just...
  8. Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.

Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.: I bought Windows 10 Pro 2 years ago and at the time on that computer it worked as an in-situ upgrade without issues. Ive since had to change computers and reinstall and it doesn't seem to exist any more. The windows install is the OEM supplied Win10 home. When i attempt...
  9. Windows activation for previously purchased windows 10 Pro

Windows activation for previously purchased windows 10 Pro: Hello: Back in 2017, I upgraded my system to windows 10 Pro from windows home. Things worked great til Hard drive died. Can reinstall windows but I need the activation code from when I purchased the upgrade. I have the transaction code and the method of payment. How...
  10. Activation and Purchasing Win10?

Activation and Purchasing Win10?: Hi all, I have some questions here below regarding Activation. 1. If I insert a new hard drive on my notebook and then reinstall Win10, will Win10 still be activated or do I have to purchase another copy of Windows with a different product key for reactivation? On my...