Windows 10: How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders?

Discus and support How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a lot of pictures of my granddaughter taken by my camera, my daughter’s camera & phone, and my son-in-law’s phone at the same place and time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tockx16jolt, Mar 17, 2017.

1. How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders?

I have a lot of pictures of my granddaughter taken by my camera, my daughter’s camera & phone, and my son-in-law’s phone at the same place and time.

For example, we were all at Disney World at the same time. I would like to add the “Camera model” to all Details views to help me sort the thousands of pictures into separate folders.

:)

tockx16jolt, Mar 17, 2017

2. Unable to properly see transfered pictures in the photo app.

I imagine this is a question of ignorance on my part ...BUT, I copied a number of my pictures from my old computer to my new computer. My pictures where organized in my OLD Vista computer into folders and sub-folders. I used Seagate and did a simple cut
    and paste. And when I looked in Pictures in my new computer...it seemed they copied over. I can see them and open all folders in the desktop mode.

The question is: Windows 10 has a tile called "Photos". BUT only my main file labeled "pictures" is displayed there and without any sub-folders or including any sub-folder pictures. None of the pictures in the sub-folder show.

**Oh ok ...I figured out how to add my pictures in subfolders to the photos application. I was able to simply add a folder with pictures to the photo application as an additional "source" and now I see the pictures...Great!

But now how to organize in albums...or some logical way. They are now all mixed up and organized in the Photo application only by date...

I also notice there must be a way to organize but so far I have been to daft to figure it out and use "Albums". I click on Albums and it shows me pictures in my main picture folder already setup ...but by date of pictures added and not any of my sub-folder
    pictures are included. By dates is not very useful to me. And I would like to see all my pictures. I would like to take my pictures and organize them...into folders or in the application...into albums but I can't discover how to do this.

Please tell me Windows 10 manages people pictures better than this.

Thanks,

Jeff

JeffKrieble, Mar 17, 2017
  3. how to create email folders in Windows 10

I had the same problem. Finally got in touch with a knowledgeable young man named Alex at MSFT support.

It turns out that unless you upgraded to the new MSFT 10 Office (I kept a prior-purchased version), you can't do it from your Outlook app. The work around is very simple: Open a new browser window and type the address "outlook.com". What appears is your
    email account. On the left, is all your Folders and Sub-folders. The last item in that column is "New Folder". Click on this tab and add Folders or Sub-Folders as needed.

RaymondRoth, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders?

Welcome to TenForums @tockx16jolt

What you want is easily done. First go to one of the folders containing the pictures. In the Details view, right-click on the headings line (Name, Date, Type, etc.) which brings up a list of other headings you can add. Click More... to find 'Camera model' and tick its box.

Now you can apply this view to all folders of this type, see this tutorial.
    Folder View - 'Apply to Folders' in Windows 10

5. I think I remembered in Win7 & XP, that "All folders" was actual every folder on the entire hard disk. When I wanted to see hidden files and file extensions, it affect ALL files on the hard disk. Did something change or am I not remembering what happened "back in the day"?

6. Bree New Member
    The key sentence in the tutorial is...
    There are default views templates for different types of folders in Windows 10, as indeed there were in XP.

How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders? [​IMG]

How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders? [​IMG]

Modify the view of any folder optimized for Pictures and you can apply that view to all other folders that are optimized for Pictures - and ONLY those folders that use the Pictures view.

7. So, If somehow I had accidentally had the Pictures folder set as General, I would end up changing all the General folders... right?

So, there are only five template types?

8. Bree New Member

Yes. Make sure the folder you are adding 'Camera model' to is optimized for Pictures before you start.

...and Yes.
    Folder Template - Change in Windows 10

9. Thanks for teaching this old dog new tricks. *Biggrin

tockx16jolt, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to add a new column to the Pictures folder and all sub-folders? - Similar Threads - add column Pictures

2. Add folder Column: ¿Has password?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add folder Column: ¿Has password?: Hi there!Im getting crazy at one thing that i suposed to be very easy, but i cant find the answer.I have a folder with 400+ excel files / words, and some of them has password and some does not.I want to quickly identify which ones have and which one doesnt. so my question is:...
  3. Add folder Column: ¿Has password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add folder Column: ¿Has password?: Hi there!Im getting crazy at one thing that i suposed to be very easy, but i cant find the answer.I have a folder with 400+ excel files / words, and some of them has password and some does not.I want to quickly identify which ones have and which one doesnt. so my question is:...
  4. Add folder Column: ¿Has password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pictures no longer loading into dated sub-folders

Pictures no longer loading into dated sub-folders: Hi, I download pictures from my iPhone into MS Photos on my Windows 10 PC. These have always downloaded via Photos into dated sub-folders within the Pictures folder in File Explorer. Now, they don't. They download direct to the Pictures folder as individual items. See this...
  6. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  7. Screensaver does not find the pictures in the sub-folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screensaver does not find the pictures in the sub-folder: I've been having problems with the screensaver on my computer which is running on Windows 10 the latest update was installed last week and the problem seemed to appear after that update. The screensaver does not find any picture in the sub-folder that I specified. A message...
  8. Add column to folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add column to folder: Is it possible to add a column to a folder, that can be typed in, like when using a table? Thank you 159861
  9. Music sub-folder from This PC missing Explorer columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Music sub-folder from This PC missing Explorer columns: [img] This is bizarre because it isn't missing the columns from Users > [my username] > Music... [img] I've been unable to find anything that restores the columns to the folder from the This PC path. Strangely, any folder above or below that folder has columns... and...
  10. Photos in Window 10 not importing all photos in Pictures folders incl sub- folders

Photos in Window 10 not importing all photos in Pictures folders incl sub- folders: I have purchased a new computer with Windows 10, previously using Vista I had over 10K photos organised in separate folders and sub-folders and found Windows Gallery great for organising, tagging and finding photos easily again. Have imported all my folders into Pictures...